Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Why would LA get an Olympic any time this century? They already had one...
    They had 2 in the 20th century.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Why would LA get an Olympic any time this century?
    London and Paris both had 2 in the 20th century and that didn't stop London from getting the Olympics this century, or stop Paris from almost getting them in 2008 and 2012. Not to mention that Paris almost got their 3rd in the 20th century, but lost to Barcelona.

vCash
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/article.as...1_CUTLIN994821

With the New York Times writing about an effort to bring the 2024 Olympics to town, the Tulsa Sports Commission got some troubling phone calls and emails this week.

"People wanted to know, 'What's going on in Tulsa?' " explained Ray Hoyt, the commission's senior vice president. " 'What are you guys thinking?' "

So Hoyt and Mayor Dewey Bartlett called a news conference Tuesday morning to make it perfectly clear:

"We are not actively seeking an Olympic bid," Hoyt emphasized with the mayor looking over his shoulder. "Or supporting it."

Maybe in 2028?

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I don't think it would be an issue for L.A. to get another Olympics considering that there are less and less places willing and able to host. Well, I guess places are willing but few can financially make it a reality. L.A.s biggest problem will probably be traffic and air quality but Beijing made it work.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Even if Tulsa were to be considered, I don't see the IOC going for moving the games up to just before July, as the Tulsa committee is proposing. It would screw up the season of many, many sports.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    How did London do? Does anyone know if they were able to do well financially from hosting? Most cities seem to nearly go bankrupt trying to host. London seems better able to recover from losing money but I wonder if they managed to do better and break even or even make money? It may also be many years before we know the full extent of it, as well.
    It's hard to estimate, because so much of the money put into it wasn't just about creating the Olympic Park, but more wider regneration of the area. So there was a lot of money invested in transport which was prompted by the Games which won't necessarily recover its costs directly, but does improve the connectivity of the area and thus aids economic development. At the moment I think the biggest positive in London is that nothing is going to be standing empty like in Athens or Beijing. The Olympic Park is already being used for festivals, the athletes village is being converted into housing to be sold off, the stadium has a football team as a new tenant in addition to already having some major athletics events lined up, the swimming pool & velodrome is being prepared for use as community facilities/training venues for athletes. I think the key is that it was planned to have a long term legacy which will do more than just cover itself financially, but instead bring new opportunities & regeneration to the whole area.

vCash
    I think one big, big con to LA getting the Olympics again is the fact that they have practically NO public transportation. It's drive or die, which with the increased traffic that the Olympics would make, would be beyond headache-inducing.

Chicago really would have been perfect.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by morqet View Post
    It's hard to estimate, because so much of the money put into it wasn't just about creating the Olympic Park, but more wider regneration of the area. So there was a lot of money invested in transport which was prompted by the Games which won't necessarily recover its costs directly, but does improve the connectivity of the area and thus aids economic development. At the moment I think the biggest positive in London is that nothing is going to be standing empty like in Athens or Beijing. The Olympic Park is already being used for festivals, the athletes village is being converted into housing to be sold off, the stadium has a football team as a new tenant in addition to already having some major athletics events lined up, the swimming pool & velodrome is being prepared for use as community facilities/training venues for athletes. I think the key is that it was planned to have a long term legacy which will do more than just cover itself financially, but instead bring new opportunities & regeneration to the whole area.
    That is very smart of them and how all cities should handle hosting the Olympics.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    I think one big, big con to LA getting the Olympics again is the fact that they have practically NO public transportation. It's drive or die, which with the increased traffic that the Olympics would make, would be beyond headache-inducing.

Certainly LA doesn't have the public transportation of a New York, London or Paris, but after a recent trip there I respectfully disagree with you on that one, I managed to take the bus quite a few different places from where I stayed. I got around just fine on LA Buses for the duration of my trip
    Kyle

vCash
    British economy apparently received a 9.9 billion boost thank s to the Olympics.
    The British economy received a 9.9-billion-pound (USD 15 billion, approx INR 89,633 crore) boost due to trade and investment from the 2012 London Olympic and Paralympic Games, the government said on Friday.
    http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/o...tm_source=srhs

vCash
    I live in Charlotte, NC and we had some people urging us to put in a bid. We did bid for the X games and lost. Maybe if The Olympics would require less grandeur and spectacle, then more cities would be willing to take the bid. Remember Denver citizens voted not to fund the games after they were considered for the bid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post

My parents told me that everyone left LA in fear of traffic, so it was great because no one was on the roads!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by danceronice View Post
    Why would LA get an Olympic any time this century? They already had one and it's a horrible city for traffic (and air stinks even just walking from airport terminal to terminal.) San Diego is nicer but you'd have to move it back to keep it out of wildfire season (anywhere in SoCal, anyway.) At least Tulsa isn't ugly and overcrowded, though I'd be afraid of 1. Tornadoes and 2. Where the heck are they putting the boating sports?
    San Diego could be a better hosting city, and just crossing the border from my city (Tijuana) so that would be my dream!

But I guess that for the US to host a Games it will be a very very long time (unfortunately for me as I live in Mexico just in the northern borther and i could well attend)

vCash
    I lived in LA from 1982-1991 and the 2 best weeks for traffic (least amount) in that time was during the 1984 Olympics. So many people took vacation, left town etc. Now with computers and working from home - so much easier for many. I would think traffic would not be a problem.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    DC is bidding too? http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireSto...mpics-20079590

Traffic and spotty Metro coverage and humid summer weather, plus the need to use Baltimore arenas- more traffic.
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

vCash
    I saw that this morning. As someone who grew up right outside of DC - terrible idea, IMO.

Beach Bum
    vCash
    Tokyo got the 2020 games
    I think I will have a snack and take a nap before I eat and go to sleep.

In the mountains, where hippies and hillbillies collide!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I live in Charlotte, NC and we had some people urging us to put in a bid. We did bid for the X games and lost. Maybe if The Olympics would require less grandeur and spectacle, then more cities would be willing to take the bid. Remember Denver citizens voted not to fund the games after they were considered for the bid.
    I live over in the Mountains and I hope they never come to Charlotte so the world won't discover us and move here

vCash
    So true, I lived in LA in 1984 and there was no traffic during the Olympics. People planned their vacations and other thing around Olympics. Now w computers n people working remotely now, I do not think traffic is an issue.

vCash
    Why is Chicago not bidding again? I would rather see the games there than in NY or LA. IIRC Chicago has never hosted the Olympics and they have good public transportation.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast