Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

vCash

Tulsa, Oklahoma Bids for 2024 Olympic Summer Games

Tulsa, Oklahoma has placed a bid for the 2024 summer Games. Tulsa is, admittedly, a long shot. They lack the required number of hotel rooms, and the price of the games is, according to the NY Times, "...more than half the state budget." They'd also be the smallest city to host in the modern era. However, what Tulsa says they do have going for them in a major way is space. Frontier as far as the eye can see.

The likelihood of the US even getting a finalist, though, is not good:

It would be a major victory for the USOC to secure even a finalist for the 2024 Games. In part because of a disagreement between the United States and the International Olympic Committe over revenue sharing, American cities have been shut out since Salt Lake City..."
    Tulsa plans to hold their games just before July, earlier than normal, to avoid both tornado season and their extremely hot summers.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/01/sp...m.html?hp&_r=0
    Last edited by GarrAarghHrumph; 07-01-2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: spelling
    And so, dear Lord, it is with deep sadness that we turn over to you this young woman, whose dream to ride on a giant swan resulted in her death. Maybe it is your way of telling us... to buy American.

vCash
    The US should just stop bidding for a while imo. If the chances of even making it as a finalist are bad, then stop wasting all that money preparing a bid.

vCash
    I will be thrilled if a small city like Tulsa could pull this off, but I doubt it will happen.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Sorry, but
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    That will never happen. I don't see them giving it to such a small city. People from other countries will have no idea where Tulsa is. Do they even know Oklahoma? Moving it up also causes tons of problems with sports calendars but I suppose with years of advance notice it would be worked out by all the sports. It is a shame the US wont be hosting for the near future. I think Chicago was the last big hope and it got eliminated immediately in the final round of voting.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Who on earth thought this was a good idea?? I mean, if they're looking for somewhere near there, Dallas/Fort Worth I could see although the weather would be utterly brutal. Oklahoma City, while pushing it, might even be believable. But Tulsa??? Seriously, it's a lovely pipe dream, but that's all it'll ever be, Tulsa Olympic Committee. Those words are even strange to type.

vCash
    IMHO The US should just stop trying to bid for big tournament because it is obvious the corrupt bloated administrations of both FIFA and the IOC got a stick up their rec***m about the US. The slimy critters that run these organizations are out of touch and care only about lining their pockets. I mean Qatar a one city state with 100+ degree temperatures during the summer hosting the World Cup?! Could only happen if there was heavy bribery behind the scenes. Sorry I will never get over that one.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Or the US should put forward better bids.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    IMHO The US should just stop trying to bid for big tournament because it is obvious the corrupt bloated administrations of both FIFA and the IOC got a stick up their rec***m about the US. The slimy critters that run these organizations are out of touch and care only about lining their pockets. I mean Qatar a one city state with 100+ degree temperatures during the summer hosting the World Cup?! Could only happen if there was heavy bribery behind the scenes. Sorry I will never get over that one.

Oh please, if you don't win the bid, it is all about corruption. Let us face it, US did a really terrible job with 1996 Olympics, and for 2002 Olympics US won the bid because they bribed the IOC members. Do you think US should have got FIFA world cup?, why?, there are plenty of countries that are passionate about Football than US. On top of that US hosted A world cup in 1994, for a country that is not a football crazy (or soccer crazy) that is more than enough for half a century, especially considering how long countries like France and Germany had to wait to get their second world cup.

For Qatar had a support a huge region that is very passionate about football, and is the favourite sport in the region. They also managed support from other developing countries. Same with RUssia, football is exceptionally popular in that country and has a support of the people. Please come out your delusional world where these two organisations are warriors of human rights defined by few developed countries.

I hope one day FIFA world cup will be held in China, if and only if they improve their national team and they get the support of the public.

vCash
    Well I still say, sour grapes or not, that Qatar should not be hosting the World Cup because the temperature in summer is too high and it is a one city state. But I don't have a problem with Russia hosting and I'm sure they will do a fine job. Also I'm Canadian.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash
    I'm just bummed because by the time that the US finally gets a Summer Olympics, I'm going to be old with responsibilities and won't possibly be able to spend oodles of money to go. My years of youth and wild reckless abandonment are being wasted, I tell you, WASTED! :p

vCash
    Because when the IOC rejected Chicago and NYC, they were actually saying "Give us Tulsa!"

On top of that US hosted A world cup in 1994,
    That world cup was the most successful world cup of all time in both attendance and money earned.

vCash
    Hey now, Tulsa hosts WWE matches every few months. How much harder can an Olympics be?

Briber of judges
    vCash
    I have a great time the few times I've stayed in Tulsa. But my first thought was that putting the Olympics in tornado central may not be the greatest idea.
    I meant to take the high road.... but I missed the exit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by peibeck View Post
    I have a great time the few times I've stayed in Tulsa. But my first thought was that putting the Olympics in tornado central may not be the greatest idea.
    That was my first thought, and after that was water is very far away for the sailing events unless they use some of the local lakes

vCash
    Water would be a huge issue for Tulsa. I travel there regularly for my son's sports, have to cross the Arkansas "River" to get to his playing fields, and note every single time that there is no water in the channel even after heavy rains. I don't know where on earth they would do rowing and kayaking, let alone sailing as mentioned. Even the bigger lakes are an hour or more outside the metro in extremely rural areas where most people camp, and there are no hotels for any money. There is also no major professional sports team there, so they don't have any large stadium. In OKC, we have the Chesapeake Arena for basketball, US rowing already uses the Oklahoma River as a training site, and it is a 15 minute trip to Norman where the OU football stadium has capacity for over 80,000. Plus, OKC metro/Norman is like gymnastics central. OKC would at least be plausible, though I don't know who in their right mind would want to come here in July.

vCash
    Los Angeles got screwed as they were better prepared to make a bid, but no they had to go with Chicago! As for Tulsa? They would go broke it they tried. How about a joint city bid ?

Los Angeles-San Diego

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    How did London do? Does anyone know if they were able to do well financially from hosting? Most cities seem to nearly go bankrupt trying to host. London seems better able to recover from losing money but I wonder if they managed to do better and break even or even make money? It may also be many years before we know the full extent of it, as well.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    I lived in Tulsa, and I can't see this working. The infrastructure isn't there. Would much rather they spend the money on their crappy public schools and super crappy roads....

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Los Angeles got screwed as they were better prepared to make a bid, but no they had to go with Chicago! As for Tulsa? They would go broke it they tried. How about a joint city bid ?

Los Angeles-San Diego
    Why would LA get an Olympic any time this century? They already had one and it's a horrible city for traffic (and air stinks even just walking from airport terminal to terminal.) San Diego is nicer but you'd have to move it back to keep it out of wildfire season (anywhere in SoCal, anyway.) At least Tulsa isn't ugly and overcrowded, though I'd be afraid of 1. Tornadoes and 2. Where the heck are they putting the boating sports?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast