vCash

Skaters in Detroit area. Who's where and can you go watch them?

I'm going to be visitin in-laws in Madison Heights, MI 7/3 to 7/8. I know there are a lot of skaters training in the Detroit area. I'm not interested in Canton because we've been there before and its a little far. But I think I remember some training in NW area, like Bloomfield Hills, Rochester Hills? Does anyone know who's training where? And can you go in to watch? I'm hoping someone will be around on Friday.

Thanks.

Shadow dancing
    vCash
    Detroit Skating Club. Bbloomfield Hills (?). Square Lake and I-75 area, think. (I can drive there but dom't remember the exact road names).

vCash
    ^^^ Abbot and Czisny?
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Here is a link to Detroit Skating Club in Bloomfield Hills: http://dscclub.com/ There is a map and google driving directions (if you need them).

Weaver and Poje from Canada train there and Hubbell and Donohue also. I believe these skaters also train at DSC: Valentina Marchei (ITA); Alexandra Aldridge/Daniel Eaton; Anastasia Olson/Keifer Hubbell; Elladj Balde (Canada); Haruka Imai (JPN); and Becky Bereswill/Joshua Reagan; and as mentioned above Jeremy Abbott and Alissa Czisny.

I think there are 3 ice surfaces and I don't know how you find out who will be skating on which surface and at what time. Maybe if you call the club they will give you the info - I'm not sure.

If it happens to be at lunchtime enjoy the club grill. They have very tasty food and it is reasonably priced!
    Last edited by maureenfarone; 06-30-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: Add info

vCash
    Takahiko Kozuka is training there and will stay for some more weeks in July. I don't know she is changing her coaches or not, but Haruka Imai may stay in Japan this summer.

vCash
    Has anyone gotten chased do out of this rink? We went yesterday. We were sitting in the stands watching ice dance and some of Madison Hubbell's family were there. They were very nice, filling me in on who was who. As we were leaving, someone from the rink stopped us and asked if we were there to watch anyone in particular. I thought she was going to be nice and asking so she could direct me to the right rink if there was someone in particular that we wanted to see. I said no, we just came to watch everyone..then she said " well this is a private rink. You shouldn't be here. " When I pointed up in the stands and commented that there were a bunch of people there, she said " well they're family. " so we left for lunch and then came back, hoping to slip in again and if approached again, plead on their mercy that we came all the way from Phoenix. This time another person approached us and just commented that we couldn't take any photos, which we weren't.

I was very surprised at this because I used to live near Simsbury and never had that reaction. We were there all the time. And I have also been to rinks in New Jersey, California, and Phoenix, and have never been asked to leave. Justcurious if this has happened to anyone else in Detroit, or elsewhere. Even in Canton a few years ago we were watching in the lobby and actually encouraged to go inside and watch.

vCash
    Were you able to stay and watch after lunch?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The concern was likely that you may be associated with another skater and perhaps try to take photos or video in order to help "your" skater get ahead.

As a skating mom, I'm often aware and curious if there are strangers around but, like you experienced with the Hubbells, if the strangers are fans who've just come to watch, I'm happy to answer any questions and share the love of figure skating.

I would just probably chalk this experience up to one bad apple and not worry too much about it. I'm not sure about Detroit, but in Canada arenas are usually public buildings, supported by tax payers, and anybody can be there as long as they're not doing anything wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yfbg722 View Post
    I would just probably chalk this experience up to one bad apple and not worry too much about it. I'm not sure about Detroit, but in Canada arenas are usually public buildings, supported by tax payers, and anybody can be there as long as they're not doing anything wrong.
    The Detroit Skating Club is a privately owned and operated facility. I'm not saying you shouldn't be allowed to watch, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted guests to check in at the ice monitor's desk first or something.

vCash
    Gosh I'm so sorry this happened. I know it is privately owned but never imagined that fans who just want to watch would have a problem. I know the Club requests no photos/videos...last year at Skate Detroit club reps talked to quite a few people who were taking photos.

I've only been to DSC for events so checking in would never occur to me. Don't think I've ever seen a sign that instructs visitors to check in. mgobluegirl can you tell me where the ice monitors desk is located...just in case I have an opportunity to go to DSC when there isn't an event?

vCash
    oh I 'm so sorry too !!
    Never heard of such a thing !
    A friend went to Russia many times and entered in all ice-rinks without problems.

All ice-rinks are private, private owned, so this doesn't seem to me a good explanations.
    I feel sorry, this is not really a nice things they did ! Hubbell was on the ice, with all respect, they are not the couple nr 1 there, so...

Here in Italy you can enter and see everyone practice.

The photo and video thing is obvious.
    sorry to read this !

vCash
    I think if it is a privately owned facility they probably are going to control who can go and watch practises. Maybe one of the reasons why skaters may pick to train there is to get privacy. It is not like practise sessions at major events which are open for people to watch.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    I'm hoping and planning on attending a few days of Skate Detroit this month. I'll inquire at the office about the policy. From time to time I am in the Detroit area and had thought about dropping in to watch practices, so I would like to know for sure if it is allowed. No sense in driving to the club and then being asked to leave! Only other place I've ever watched practices is Winterhurst in Cleveland and I was never questioned - but I don't think it is privately owned.

vCash
    Yes Sylvia, we did chance it and go back after lunch. Someone approached us and told us we couldn't take photos, which we weren't, that was all.

vCash
    Well there's always Novi and Canton here too. I haven't been to Novi yet so I don't know their policy. Someone told me Pechalat and Bourzat moved their two weeks ago. We were at Canton when Belbin and Agosto were there and family members actually encouraged us to go in, and told us we could request the arena to turn on some heating element if it was too cold!

vCash
    Ice surfaces in rinks are often constructed with viewing windows. And almost everyone who goes just to watch is really there for the enjoyment and to support the sport.

That said, unless a rink is owned by the town or the state and is therefore "public" or publicly owned, it is likely a privately owned, and run, building regardless of how easy it is to access - just running through the rinks I actually know, the majority are privately owned. They can make their own rules provided they are non-discriminatory and comply with laws relevant to businesses in that location. Just because they have public skates doesn't mean they are public buildings.

There are, at some rinks (thinking of something like the 4th surface at Ice House in Hackensack) ice surfaces which have no viewing windows and if they want to keep the door closed and strangers out during practice, it's entirely their right to do so. For those who can recall, Stars On Ice often used to cover the window glass at the rink in Simsbury to keep their work under wraps during rehearsal - entirely the right of SOI and of the rink.

In most rinks you're more than welcome but welcome on private property and on their terms.
    Last edited by Willowway; 07-07-2013 at 10:35 PM.

vCash
    Just wanted to add that not all rinks are privately owned. I worked at a rink that was owned by the town and was part of the park district.

vCash
    Many years ago when Linichuk was at Delaware, I got scolded because I was doing video on my little girl who was taking lesson from another coach. Linichuk thought I was taping her teams. I also most got kicked out!! I heard Canton is also very private, Marina would not allow any observers at this time since her teams are preparing for Olympics. I think it depends on the coach rather than the rink.