Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: The GAY thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by watchthis!! View Post
    Reading this makes it seem strange to me that the Olympic organizers chose Russia to host the games when their own charter says that every person deserves to do their sport without discrimination of any kind.
    The legislation came after Sochi was selected. (not that there weren't already indicators within Russia of anti-gay attitude)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    The legislation came after Sochi was selected. (not that there weren't already indicators within Russia of anti-gay attitude)
    I think the IOC needs to define which groups of people are considered to be protected from discrimination. The question that still remains is whether LGBTQ persons are included.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

Prick Admin
    vCash
    At the beginning of last month, Rory O'Neill (aka drag queen Panti Bliss) appeared on a Saturday night chat show on Irish state broadcaster RTE. In 2015 Ireland will hold a referendum on marriage equality and the conversation turned to a discussion on homophobia. You can read the transcript here.

The reason there is only a transcript and no video online is because the individuals and their lobby group that O'Neill named threatened to sue RTE under Ireland's defamation laws. RTE removed the video from their website, made a public apology on the Saturday night chat show two weeks after the interview took place and paid a settlement of 85,000 euros. This resulted in thousands of complaints being sent to the broadcaster about the apology and the payout, protests and a huge discussion about homophobia and how the word can or can't be used. The issue was also brought up for discussion in the Dail, the Irish parliament.

And then Panti Bliss made this speech at the Abbey Theatre about homophobia that has gone viral and is already being hailed as a huge turning point in Irish LGBT history.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    And then Panti Bliss made this speech at the Abbey Theatre about homophobia that has gone viral and is already being hailed as a huge turning point in Irish LGBT history.

...very emotional speech.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Agreed!
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    So the fourth episode of Looking aired and it was by far the best one. Scott Bakula is just adorable. I swear he gets better looking with age!

Also Groff and Tovey are great together.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Mother declines son’s birthday party invitation with homophobic note

They should have phoned her and said, "so Sophia won't be getting a gift from Tommy then"?

And this article...

Greek winter olympians show russians where they can stick their bigotry

...was probably posted in one of the Olympics threads, but they are so long now that I can't keep up with them. Anyway, cute mitts!

vCash
    Was that really their intention though? I thought the colors were to represent each of the Olympic rings. Five fingers, five rings, with the colors matching.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Mother declines son’s birthday party invitation with homophobic note

They should have phoned her and said, "so Sophia won't be getting a gift from Tommy then"?

And this article...

...was probably posted in one of the Olympics threads, but they are so long now that I can't keep up with them. Anyway, cute mitts!
    Are we sure that's what they meant PeterG ? If so that's pretty amazing!

Today is Valentine's day! I think I'm going to watch a gay old favorite Beautiful Thing.

vCash
    Twitter:

LGBTQ Nation ‏@lgbtqnation 5m
    Actress Ellen Page comes out as gay: ‘I’m tired of lying by omission’ - http://lgbtq.me/1b54JZR
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgfRx2QCYAAP9nV.jpg

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post

And this article...

Those are the official Sochi 2014 gloves.

The anti-Russian tone of that article is also a form of bigotry.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    The amazing Annie has released "Russian Kiss" on the day the Sochi OWG opened. She's written the song with Richard X and the acclaimed Norwegian artist Bjarne Melgaard did the art direction for the video. The song is unfortunately terrible, which makes me sad given how awesome Annie usually is, but I love how queer the video is.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I think the IOC needs to define which groups of people are considered to be protected from discrimination. The question that still remains is whether LGBTQ persons are included.
    IOC has confirmed that the anti-discrimination clause in the Olympic Charter includes sexual orientation.

Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    So the fourth episode of Looking aired and it was by far the best one. Scott Bakula is just adorable. I swear he gets better looking with age!
    It's a very decent show. It's a nice social anthropological overview of modern gay life. I really like the the portrayal of Patrick's awkwardness and social ineptitude.

What is disappointing though is that as usual, it's all about white middle class beautiful people living in a big city. But then I guess it it's a tv show so what can you expect? Still, it would be nice to get a gay "The Wire" one day.

vCash
    Apparently Ellen Page has come out as gay. No big surprise there...

ETA: And oops, apparently dardar has already mentioned it. Sorry, dardar!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mrinalini View Post
    Apparently Ellen Page has come out as gay. No big surprise there...

ETA: And oops, apparently dardar has already mentioned it. Sorry, dardar!
    No problemo!

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Was that really their intention though? I thought the colors were to represent each of the Olympic rings. Five fingers, five rings, with the colors matching.
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Are we sure that's what they meant PeterG ?
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Those are the official Sochi 2014 gloves.
    What's strange about this is that I saved the article on my favourites menu to post later and the link was then gone. But the title of the article remained and I found lots of other sites carrying the same article, which I posted. Weird that the info was available in so many places...but not true...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post
    Twitter:

LGBTQ Nation ‏@lgbtqnation 5m
    Actress Ellen Page comes out as gay: ‘I’m tired of lying by omission’ - http://lgbtq.me/1b54JZR
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BgfRx2QCYAAP9nV.jpg
    That was an open secret. I used to see her around with a female lady all the time. It was definitely not a friendship only.

Welcome to the family Ellen!

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    It's a very decent show. It's a nice social anthropological overview of modern gay life. I really like the the portrayal of Patrick's awkwardness and social ineptitude.

What is disappointing though is that as usual, it's all about white middle class beautiful people living in a big city. But then I guess it it's a tv show so what can you expect? Still, it would be nice to get a gay "The Wire" one day.
    Well for what it's worth, The Wire did have a gay character in it who was a total badass. And a lesbian couple who were totally normal people. But being gay wasn't what the drama was about. I feel like any TV show about drama in relationships require the characters to have money and be comfortable. Otherwise their love lives wouldn't be the main conflict in their lives.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Re-posted from PI thread:

Bill Viewed as Anti-Gay Is Passed in Arizona: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/21/us...zona.html?_r=0

The Arizona Legislature passed a measure on Thursday that allows business owners asserting their religious beliefs to refuse service to gays and others, drawing backlash from Democrats who called the proposal “state-sanctioned discrimination” and an embarrassment.

vCash
    The last episode of looking was really lovely. Understated but beautiful, showing the 'getting to know somebody' first part of a relationship in a very sweet way.

Everybody who is saying it's 'boring' can go piss off watch Will & Grace or Friends. This is an HBO show and it's supposed to be more high-brow.

I didn't notice before that it's the guy who wrote "The Weekend" who is the head writer but it makes sense now. I didn't like that film (but then I had very high expectations) but it had some good qualities. The mood that it conjured up, in particular.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    The last episode of looking was really lovely. Understated but beautiful, showing the 'getting to know somebody' first part of a relationship in a very sweet way.

Everybody who is saying it's 'boring' can go piss off watch Will & Grace or Friends. This is an HBO show and it's supposed to be more high-brow.
    It's one of the first gay-themed relationship shows I can really relate to. HBO is doing a good job with "Looking". I also enjoyed "The L-Word" on Showtime.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast