Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: The GAY thread

vCash
    Of course. But I'd rather have the tyranny of the majority than fascism or meritocracy.
    Those aren't the only choices, however. Not only that, but oftentimes, the most oppressive systems came into power through majority rule and the "democratic process" left unchecked.

I think it's faulty to think that the legislature is the only branch of government in which the democratic process is expressed. The legislature often behaves in ways that may be against public opinion as whole but individual members of the legislature are re-elected due to a great many outside factors that I won't bring up in this thread. I think something is to be said that have a check on the legislature, which the judicial branch can provide by striking down laws that are indeed violations of protected rights or are highly discriminatory towards historically-vulnerable populations who really do not have political power to affect change through the political process.

You do bring up great points, however, about the problems of judicial activism and how 9 (or how many ever) people can make grand sweeping changes that a country may not be ready for (or maybe will never be ready for). However, judges are oftentimes very conservative and uphold most things. In the U.S., anyway, the judicial branch tends to only strike down laws when they are highly egregious in some way and the justices of the high court only agree to hear arguments from like less than 1 percent of all the cases presented to them. Lower courts tend to be even more conservative.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-30-2014 at 07:35 AM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Has anyone been watching the show Looking with Jonathan Groff?

It's an ok show, not great, but it's nice to have another gay show airing on tv. I hope season two has one hour episodes though, 30 mins is way to short for a show like this.

Spin Alissa Spin!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dots View Post
    Has anyone been watching the show Looking with Jonathan Groff?

It's an ok show, not great, but it's nice to have another gay show airing on tv. I hope season two has one hour episodes though, 30 mins is way to short for a show like this.
    I was reserving judgment on "Looking" to see if it became too stereotypical (like so many other gay characters on TV). So far, so good. I like it.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I watched one episode of Looking and couldn't care less about it. I will probably try to catch another episode or two just in case it got better but I didn't care for the lack of story line or the lack of character development. I didn't care about any of them. That could easily change in the coming episodes though so I do want to give it another try.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Well the third episode was the first time I actually felt connected to this show. For once the characters were likable.

Russell Tovey and Scott Bakula bring a more human feel to this show. I want to say they add much needed warmth and personality.

Tovey & Groff have amazing chemistry.

vCash
    Twitter:

CultBox ‏@CultBoxTV 1h
    Russell Tovey reveals what makes HBO's 'Looking' different from gay dramas 10 years ago - http://ow.ly/sKzcP
    EDIT:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 34m
    College Baseball Player and Boyfriend of First Out Gay College Football Player, Comes Out http://bit.ly/1lx7A2h
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfkOL3gCcAAuUqY.jpg
    Cutie-pie!
    Last edited by dardar1126; 02-03-2014 at 06:07 PM.

vCash
    The biggest gay icon ever (gives PeterG a *very* dirty look ) is back with a new single!!!

Kylie Minogue "Into the Blue"

It's a really fun and slick pop song and it's very Kylie. I have to say I am a little underwhelmed, however. Her best stuff was forward-thinking and a little edgy and this is just too safe and bland. I much preferred "Skirt" which she dropped on Beatport back in August (it wasn't a proper single, more like a taster kind of thing to ensure she keeps getting played in gay clubs ).

---

VIETgrlTerifa - I agree with you on all points. I am just concerned about judges abusing their power, that is all. I'd rather that door wasn't opened but then I recognise the argument that basic rights should be guaranteed and not subject to politicians' whims.

vCash
    Twitter:

BuzzFeed LGBT ‏@BuzzFeedLGBT 33m
    20 Breathtaking Photographs From The Largest Pride March In Mumbai's History http://bzfd.it/1eQJUgz

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    What garbage.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    What garbage.
    Hush, you'll make Ziglet cry.

But yeah it's amazing to me how people settle for such bullshit. Kyle, Katy Perry et al need to be shot into space.

vCash
    You're just boring and joyless.

I never got how people can approach music with this kind of black & white attitude. There is a time and place for thoughtful reflection and exploration of new ideas.

There's also a time and place for snogging a random stranger whilst tripping on MDMA. Jon Hopkins or Mogwai wouldn't provide a very suitable soundtrack to that.

Likewise, when cleaning or working out, listening to Baths or Sigur Rs wouldn't contribute to the effectiveness of such endeavours. Quite to the contrary.

And finally, sometimes all you want is just some FUN. On that note, I'm off to dance around the room to Kylie's fabulous new track, so suck it!

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    You're just boring and joyless.
    Thanks; great thing to say to someone with major depression and suicidal ideation, and don't tell me you didn't know, Ziggy.

Khng hơn, ti c thể khng c thm. Tạm biệt v chc may mắn. Ti sẽ khng đăng ĐƯỢC nữa.
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Kylie Minogue is still alive!?! How early 2000's...

#RealGayIcon #TomDaley

http://instagram.com/p/j7J73ur-pi/

vCash
    Kylie Minogue is still alive!?!

vCash
    Kylie Minogue is still alive!?!http://instagram.com/p/j7J73ur-pi/
    Renata Von Trapp has something to say about this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerobicidal View Post
    Renata Von Trapp has something to say about this.
    You're quite the pop star yourself as I recall Aerobicidal.

vCash
    Today's google homepage has six sports depicted above each of the letter is "GOOGLE" and the background for each sport and letter is a colour of the rainbow. Below the search box it reads:

"The practice of sport is a human right. Every individual must have the possibility of practicing sport, without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play." –Olympic Charter
    Reading this makes it seem strange to me that the Olympic organizers chose Russia to host the games when their own charter says that every person deserves to do their sport without discrimination of any kind.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    t.A.T.u., Russian Pop Duo, Opening Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics Ceremony

The choice of performers is bizarre to say the least. Russia has made headlines with its discriminatory anti-gay laws, while t.A.T.u. famously explored lesbian and gay themes. Katina, 29, and Volkova, 28, first broke out in 2003 with their debut single "All The Things She Said" playing lovers in its music video. (Kissing in the rain while wearing school uniforms, anyone?) The lyrics to the song also touched on homosexuality and bisexuality. (Cher turned down an offer to perform at the Olympics last September because of the country's homophobic laws.)

Not only am I glad to not be a gay person in Russia, I'm grateful that I'm not Russian, period.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
    vCash
    You gotta check out this Olympic ad, from the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion. Brilliant and also hilarious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis@BC View Post
    You gotta check out this Olympic ad, from the Canadian Institute of Diversity and Inclusion. Brilliant and also hilarious.

I saw that earlier this morning...well-done!

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast