Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: The GAY thread

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    Sometimes a saddle is just a saddle.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    German Olympians will wear rainbow-colored uniforms in Sochi

How strange. The outfits are a "silent protest" against the oppressive stance on gay rights, yet the outfits have gender-specific pants. Combatting homophobia with an outfit that has a sexist aspect to it. Weird.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    The outfits are a "silent protest" against the oppressive stance on gay rights, yet the outfits have gender-specific pants. Combatting homophobia with an outfit that has a sexist aspect to it. Weird.
    Peter, I'm not sure gender-specific clothing is necessarily a sign of sexism. Do department stores with separated "Mens" and "Womens" sections offend you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    Sometimes a saddle is just a saddle.
    Unless it's bareback.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Siouxs View Post
    Peter, I'm not sure gender-specific clothing is necessarily a sign of sexism. Do department stores with separated "Mens" and "Womens" sections offend you?
    Only if all of the girl mannequins are dressed in pink and all the boy mannequins are dressed in blue.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash

vCash
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000003

Northern Cyprus Decriminalizes Gay Sex, Becomes Last European Territory To Do So
    Reuters | Posted: 01/27/2014 11:32 am EST | Updated: 01/27/2014 12:59 pm EST

vCash
    The Disney Channel features its first-ever gay characters in 31 year history
    Lesbian moms make appearance on episode of sitcom Good Luck Charlie
    27 JANUARY 2014 | BY GREG HERNANDEZ

- See more at: http://www.gaystarnews.com/article/d....gSAxB6na.dpuf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dardar1126 View Post

I wonder when this will hit "mainstream" news sources? I can already see conservatives clutching their pearls and bringing up the age-old "what about the children?" argument.

Blergh
    vCash

You know, I am honestly very surprised by this. I can foresee gay marriage being legalized by Court mandate sometime in my lifetime, but not Disney Channel introducing gay characters in their sitcoms aimed for children and young/older teens.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...usaolp00000003

Northern Cyprus Decriminalizes Gay Sex, Becomes Last European Territory To Do So
    Reuters | Posted: 01/27/2014 11:32 am EST | Updated: 01/27/2014 12:59 pm EST
    Good for Cyprus!
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    And while Europe moves forward, India moves backward...via Twitter:

huffpostgay ‏@huffpostgay 19m
    Awful: India's gay sex ban upheld by Supreme Court http://huff.to/1f7twLA

vCash
    Twitter:

Towleroad ‏@tlrd 16m
    Conner Mertens is the First Active College Football Player to Come Out Publicly http://bit.ly/1f7Xq2g
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BfFNj40CcAAEq6n.jpg

vCash
    India isn't moving backward. The Supreme Court simply acknowledged the law that has existed ever since the British colonialists have put it into place. It's up to the politicians to change it.

As for Mertens, the full Outsports article which broke the story is here: http://www.outsports.com/2014/1/28/5...ootball-kicker

vCash
    And while Europe moves forward, India moves backward...via Twitter:

Yup, terrible decision. India had a few years where the law basically wasn't in effect due to a previous court decision. Sad.
    Last edited by Ilyich; 01-29-2014 at 01:17 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    Yup, terrible decision. India had a few years where the law basically wasn't in effect due to a previous court decision. Sad.
    All that the Supreme Court did is acknowledge that the law exist. It didn't even support it and it mentioned in their decision that it's up to the lawmakers to debate and change it. To do anything else would be an attack on the democratic process.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    All that the Supreme Court did is acknowledge that the law exist. It didn't even support it and it mentioned in their decision that it's up to the lawmakers to debate and change it. To do anything else would be an attack on the democratic process.
    Just how broad is this "attack on the democratic process" position? Was the U.S. Supreme Court wrong to decide as it did when it struck down all sodomy laws in the U.S.? The argument you're making is exactly one of the ones the other side used - that it should be left to the legislative branch, not unelected judges.

It would be different if India had a system where the judiciary was weak, but my understanding is that in recent years India has seen its courts flex their muscle a lot. I don't think it's wrong for people to be saddened by the fact that the judges weren't willing to extend that treatment to gay rights.

Blergh
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
    This is why the United States Supreme Court created tiers of scrutiny in order to prevent legislatures from passing laws that are not narrowly tailored to fit their purported and legitimate interest and instead are actually passing laws out of animosity towards a certain groups. The problem is that the U.S. Supreme Court has evaded the question of whether LGBTQ persons are a protected class.

Democratic processes are great, but I do think minority groups need to be protected from tyranny of the majority.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 01-29-2014 at 08:41 PM.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilyich View Post
    The argument you're making is exactly one of the ones the other side used - that it should be left to the legislative branch, not unelected judges.
    Yes, that's the argument that I am making. You surely wouldn't want unelected judges 'flexing their muscle' on matters that you don't agree with. You cannot have it both ways. I don't want them 'flexing their muscle' on anything. It's not their role and not their call. Their job is to uphold the rule of law.

Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Democratic processes are great, but I do think minority groups need to be protected from tyranny of the majority.
    Of course. But I'd rather have the tyranny of the majority than fascism or meritocracy.

Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast