vCash

Singers with great voices but poor interpretation

Do we know of any singers with solo careers who have been blessed with natural vocal talent and/or good technique, but just aren't naturally musical or expressive?

Or do they all end up in choirs, as backup singers, etc., if they have a music career at all?

The other way around, good expression and mediocre voice, seems pretty common in popular music.

Alissa Fan Forever
    vCash
    Anyone in mom jeans. Possibly Rick Astley? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ
    Last edited by AliasJohnDoe; 04-04-2014 at 02:59 PM.

vCash
    Susan Boyle was the first name that came to mind. Her album sucked. But maybe that was the producers. I also think the little girl singers, Janet Evancho and another girl whose name is escaping me.
    Figure skating is hard.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    Susan Boyle was the first name that came to mind. Her album sucked. But maybe that was the producers. I also think the little girl singers, Janet Evancho and another girl whose name is escaping me.
    Charlotte Church? Honestly most pop singers to me--assuming they aren't totally reliant on autotune many can carry a tune but expression-wise it's all the same to me.

vCash
    Yep, Church. Thanks.
    Figure skating is hard.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I recall a singer who had a few hits in the 80s, Laura Branigan I think, who had this big powerful voice but it was somehow unrefined. Another is the young LeeAnn Rimes (sp?) - before all the skandals, she was this young phenom everyone was talking about, and I always thought the talent was there but she needed someone to tell her how to sing. Later she either learned or got better producers - there are two songs of hers that are among my favourites.

Then again I'm never big on the big voice singers whose songs become about their vocal stylings rather than the music - Christina, Mariah, Whitney - so maybe it's just me.

Then there is someone like Kelly Clarkson - I simply adore her second album, Breakaway, so got her new CDs the minute they came out, but I never listen to them because I don't like how she's raunched up her voice and made it more yell-y than melodic in many of the songs. Another is my beloved Bruce Springsteen, whose voice was always fantastic - until that period in the 90s when he got very gutteral. Happily an album with a very excellent new producer (Brendan O'Brien for The Rising) got him back to his true voice, and today I think he's better than ever.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I recall a singer who had a few hits in the 80s, Laura Branigan I think, who had this big powerful voice but it was somehow unrefined.
    Laura Branigan - Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    Possibly Rick Astley?
    Rick Astley - Cry For Help
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Blergh
    vCash
    This might be a stretch in saying she has a great voice, but Rihanna. I think she has a very distinctive voice and she can sell a song. However, in some of her slower songs, she can really sound as if she's bored. Like she's just reading the lines and falling asleep as she's doing it.
    "Corporation, n. An ingenious device for obtaining individual profit without individual responsibility." - Ambrose Bierce

vCash
    In recent years, I would say Carrie Underwood has started falling into that category. Beautiful voice, but she's lost what nuance she ever had. Everything just sounds the same -- belted out at the top of her lungs.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    I recall a singer who had a few hits in the 80s, Laura Branigan I think, who had this big powerful voice but it was somehow unrefined.
    Laura said she had never taken formal singing lessons, and a Rolling Stone critic called her voice blunt and overpowering. The same thing was said about Celine Dion's voice. I love Celine, but some things she should not sing.

vCash
    Honestly, I never got much emotion from Sarah Brightman. Vocally she used to be able to do amazing things, but emotionally she leaves me flat. Listening to the original Phantom recording she just sounds completely technical and utterly emotionless, especially when she's singing with someone like Michael Crawford.

vCash
    David Archuleta has a beautiful voice but lacks the confidence, charisma, and grit that is needed to become a star.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    In recent years, I would say Carrie Underwood has started falling into that category. Beautiful voice, but she's lost what nuance she ever had. Everything just sounds the same -- belted out at the top of her lungs.

Such is the case with most female pop singers today. There is no nuance, no musicality. It's all "belt 'em out." But just because you can doesn't mean you should. All that intensity is really, really tiresome.