18 10.53%
  • Gracie Gold

32 18.71%
  • Kanako Murakami

8 4.68%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    And, all else being equal, if Michelle Kwan and Fred Flintstone were to skate identical routines in identical attire, I suspect that the attractiveness factor would come into play and Michelle would get the nod from the judges.
    Oh... but what if Michelle were wearing Fred Flintstone attire complete with his manly stubbles and manly thighs. Now would she still get a perfect 10 from the judges? Now that is the real question!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by os168 View Post
    Oh... but what if Michelle were wearing Fred Flintstone attire complete with his manly stubbles and manly thighs. Now would she still get a perfect 10 from the judges? Now that is the real question!
    Danger Will Robinson! Danger! Danger!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RickInSanJose View Post
    Even so, I suspect that judges are swayed by physical attractiveness. For example, I recall that Nancy Kerrigan had her front teeth capped so as to enhance her appearance before the judges. To go through such an expensive procedure would imply that she realized the importance of projecting an image as attractive as possible.
    And Debi Thomas had plastic surgery on her nose (more than once). But the most beautiful person in the world is not going to be a successful skater if they can't skate well. So to compare skaters on the basis of their physical appearance alone - and very subjectively - just reinforces the very problematic idea that skating is all about appearances.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    And Debi Thomas had plastic surgery on her nose (more than once). But the most beautiful person in the world is not going to be a successful skater if they can't skate well. So to compare skaters on the basis of their physical appearance alone - and very subjectively - just reinforces the very problematic idea that skating is all about appearances.
    I don't think. Look at the women tennis players. Kournikova was the prettiest, Sharapova is also beautiful, and many articles, photos showed us their beauty. But everybody knows Serena Williams is the best..

vCash
    My vote goes to Brian Joubert.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciocio View Post
    My vote goes to Brian Joubert.
    I didn't realise Joubert is considered PRETTY!

Ironlady, time to run a poll on 'who is the prettiest male skater'.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    I don't think. Look at the women tennis players. Kournikova was the prettiest, Sharapova is also beautiful, and many articles, photos showed us their beauty. But everybody knows Serena Williams is the best..
    I think Serena is a beautiful woman...not sure if you're trying to imply she's ugly or that b/c she's not a blonde "bombshell" she wouldn't be considered as pretty.

Again, beauty is subjective.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    I think Serena is a beautiful woman...not sure if you're trying to imply she's ugly or that b/c she's not a blonde "bombshell" she wouldn't be considered as pretty.

Again, beauty is subjective.
    I would never say that she is ugly. That isn't my style. I agree with you the beauty is very subjective, and in all cultures and at different ages have different beautyideal.

vCash
    Spikydurian, tell me please about "Anne Holm, I Am David", when the story takes place? and in wich country? I'm from Eastern Europe,but not from Russia( sorry, for the off topic)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by giselle23 View Post
    Why isn't Kiira Korpi in this poll?
    Wow, what blasphemy that Kiira is not even mentioned, much less there's not even an "Other" option to make up for such an oversight! And what about Elene Gedevanishvilli, Christina Gao, Ksenia Makarova, Vanessa James, Zijun Li, Mirai Nagasu, Alissa Czisny, et al ... You can tell that the poll maker was feeling pretty entitled or exclusionary or hung over or something when this limited list was concocted!!! FGS, Tanith Belbin is NOT on the list either?!!

Unless perhaps the poll maker is going to come back with a poll re the most drop dead gorgeous rather than merely the prettiest ...

ETA:

As usual, it's all in the eye of the beholder. IMHO, Kournikova is more sexy than pretty and Sharapova is merely tall and attractive, not necessarily beautiful. Serena Williams and Mae Berenice Meite have a gorgeous statuesque kind of beauty that is often coveted but not usually acknowledged or appreciated by Western culture. Their Amazonian presence some seem to find intimidating.

Jeez, is it because of the off-season that Carolina Kostner doesn't have more votes?! Or perhaps it's that she really belongs in the drop dead gorgeous poll with Tanith, Kiira, and Alissa. And truthfully it's not fair to forget about beauties from back in the day who still have got IT, like Katarina, Dorothy, Kristi, et al.
    Last edited by aftershocks; 07-02-2013 at 03:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by aftershocks View Post
    Wow, what blasphemy that Kiira is not even mentioned, much less there's not even an "Other" option to make up for such an oversight! And what about Elene Gedevanishvilli, Christina Gao, Ksenia Makarova, Vanessa James, Zijun Li, Mirai Nagasu, Alissa Czisny, et al ... You can tell that the poll maker was feeling pretty entitled or exclusionary or hung over or something when this limited list was concocted!!! FGS, Tanith Belbin is NOT on the list either?!!
    I thought so too, until it was explained to me that it's only about the current top six ladies in the world + the returning 2011 World champion (Miki Ando). Anyway, if someone made a poll for all female skaters (including pairs skaters and ice dancers), the available twelve options surely would be insufficient.

Jeez, is it because of the off-season that Carolina Kostner doesn't have more votes?! Or perhaps it's that she really belongs in the drop dead gorgeous poll with Tanith, Kiira, and Alissa. And truthfully it's not fair to forget about beauties from back in the day who still have got IT, like Katarina, Dorothy, Kristi, et al.
    I think Carolina's beauty is more about her stature, grace and elegance, than about her face. But that's just my opinion. As for beauties from back in the day, don't forget also Katia (if we are speaking about all female skaters). And I almost forgot Shizuka, although I wouldn't describe her as pretty - the word "beautiful" seems more appropriate. I know that she didn't look like she does now when she competed - it's quite obvious that something has been done to her face. But her beauty is more than just her face.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Ironlady, time to run a poll on 'who is the prettiest male skater'.
    A nice idea . I always wonder why many of the polls are only about female skaters. If it was about single skaters, then also some skaters who have already left the competitions could be included .
    Last edited by lauravvv; 07-02-2013 at 11:10 PM.

vCash
    ^^ Interesting reflections. Yes, ITA re Katia -- what she exudes from inside adds to her beauty. Some of my earlier comments were tongue-in-cheek, btw.

As for Carolina, ITA re her stature, grace, and elegance, but she's also more than just attractive or pretty. Even with her overbite, Carolina IMHO is gorgeous. Sometimes supposed surface defects combine for stunning visual appeal.

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictu...hoot6074ss.gif

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictu...ots/rocco8.jpg

This one is very different. It makes her look slightly Asian, but that's probably the effect the photographer was after:
    http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictu...ots/rocco1.jpg

All of the above are from Carolina's official website multimedia photo section

I admire women like Steffi Graf and Barbara Streisand who have embraced their looks and found no reason to change the way their noses look, even if they were pressured to think about making changes. Because in fact their noses make them unique and essentially add to their beauty. Also, of course, Steffi had/ has a rockin' gorgeous body and tennis talent, while Barbara had/ has rockin' gifted vocal cords. (In contrast, Jennifer Grey seemingly made a mistake changing her looks after Dirty Dancing).

vCash
    LOL! Miki Ando is the most prettier!!!! Again! ( what a surprised! if you know.... ) congrats to her!!!!
    Motherhood has made her glow ...

vCash
    Carolina is a beautiful, long woman with beautiful hair and perfect skin. I voted for Mao though.

vCash
    ^^ Interesting reflections. Yes, ITA re Katia -- what she exudes from inside adds to her beauty. Some of my earlier comments were tongue-in-cheek, btw.

As for Carolina, ITA re her stature, grace, and elegance, but she's also more than just attractive or pretty. Even with her overbite, Carolina IMHO is gorgeous. Sometimes supposed surface defects combine for stunning visual appeal.

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictu...hoot6074ss.gif

http://www.carolina-kostner.it/pictu...ots/rocco8.jpg

This one is very different. It makes her look slightly Asian, but that's probably the effect the photographer was after:

All of the above are from Carolina's official website multimedia photo section

I admire women like Steffi Graf and Barbara Streisand who have embraced their looks and found no reason to change the way their noses look, even if they were pressured to think about making changes. Because in fact their noses make them unique and essentially add to their beauty. Also, of course, Steffi had/ has a rockin' gorgeous body and tennis talent, while Barbara had/ has rockin' gifted vocal cords. (In contrast, Jennifer Grey seemingly made a mistake changing her looks after Dirty Dancing).
    Interesting and beautiful pics on Caro. And I absolute agree with you on Stefi and Barbra!!!!!!
    Last edited by lala; 07-03-2013 at 04:35 PM.

vCash
    I always thought the appearance changes had more to do with business/marketing and less to do with blinding judges with their beauty.

vCash
    None is truly pretty. If I have to choose one from this list, I'll choose YuNa Kim.

vCash
    Since "pretty" means reasonably attractive, I'd say all the skaters listed above fit that category. But if the question were who's beautiful/smoking hot gorgeous among current skaters -- Tessa Virtue and Kira top the list.

vCash

I admire women like Steffi Graf and Barbara Streisand who have embraced their looks ....
    I admire this photographer's ability to reconstruct her face in such an unrecognizable manner. That could be a photo of anyone. It is so altered and applied with photographic cosmetic surgery that I'm not sure it has much bearing on a discussion about what Kostner looks like. All of these photos are beautiful though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I admire this photographer's ability to reconstruct her face in such an unrecognizable manner. That could be a photo of anyone. It is so altered and applied with photographic cosmetic surgery that I'm not sure it has much bearing on a discussion about what Kostner looks like. All of these photos are beautiful though.
    Yeah, I'd have never known that was a photo of Carolina.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast