Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Froome and Porte showed a great display of strenght. Wow. Team Sky did great.
    Rodriguez and Contador just couldn't keep up with Froome.

vCash
    So... the one day classic that we are now calling the Tour de France was great! Can't wait for next year!

Okay, it's not over until it's over but, realistically, they will have to crack Chris Froome to make this a race again. The gaps on this stage are not a matter of "attack and get a few KM ahead". Contador at 1:45 could do it if everything fell right, but I don't think anyone else will be able to do it unless Froome completely cracks on a mountain. And that seems rather unlikely.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    At least we still have the sprint stages to add some drama. And maybe the white jersey.
    "The Devil is joining in, and that's never a good sign." Phil Liggett

vCash
    Great ride yesterday by Cannondale- and great ride today by Sky. I agree, I normally am more interested in GC than the stage wins, but this year, I'm more drawn to the sprints.

Tranquillo
    vCash

Tranquillo
    vCash

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Renshaw signs with Omega for next season and will be reunited with Cav. After the last few days, I think Cav will be happy to have Renshaw back.

vCash
    He certainly won't be happy with his team after today.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Last edited by Garden Kitty; 07-11-2013 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    13 wasn’t a lucky number for Movistar… What a terrible day for this team that was having a good TdF so far and lost so much today. Alejandro Valverde, who was second in the general classification, had a problem in his back wheel. At that moment, Movistar had pretty much all their riders in the leading bunch. Due to Valverde’s stop, most of his team mates immediately had to stay behind to help him. Rui Costa and Nairo Quintana first stayed in the lead bunch. Plaza and Castroviejo were giving it all to help Valverde but it didn’t work. Omega was imposing an amazing rhythm in the front of the bunch and was quickly helped by Belkin and Europcar. Belkin attacked to prevent Valverde to rejoin, hoping that Mollema and Ten Dam could improve their placement at the general classification. What happened next left a few people stunned: instead of hoping to maintain Quintana and Rui Costa in the leading bunch, the team director ordered Costa to wait for Valverde when he was losing time. Belkin kept on helping Omega imposing an impossible rhythm for the Movistar riders to rejoin. Then the Movistar riders were told to wait to be integrated in the chasing bunch, certainly hoping for some help from Argos due to the fact that Kittel was in that group and had to recover if he had any thoughts of trying to win this stage. Argos helped for some time but as soon as it became more than clear that it was practically impossible to rejoin the lead bunch they let go. In result, Valverde dropped from 2nd to 16th (12’10’’), Costa dropped from 9th to 18th (14’22’), Rojas lost the chance to try the spring at the end, and in the overall team classification Movistar dropped from 1st to 5th. Very bad day for Movistar.
    There was also some irony in what happened to Europcar. This team helped Omega and Belkin in the 1st bunch to break the others (Belkin wanted to leave Movistar behind, Omega wanted to get rid of Argos and Cannondale). Then Pierre Rolland had the exact same problem as Valverde in his back wheel and it became difficult for him to try to regroup. Europcar were a victim of their own strategy.
    Saxo-Tinkoff were patient and attacked at the right time and Christopher Froome was left in trouble since Sky couldn’t keep up with Saxo. Contador benefited from this situation and reduced the disadvantage in the general classification. Kreuziger also did great and improved his placing to 4th.
    And what about Mark Cavendish? Well, this must have been a difficult week for him. He got an awful lot of hate after using his shoulder to gain position on Tom Veelers (he crashed as a consequence) in one of the previous stages. There was a debate whether Cav had done it on purpose or not. I don’t think his move was illegal cause he did not cut Veelers trajectory but many claim it was unethical to use his shoulder on Veelers the way he did. Cav lost that day and also had to deal with some journalists questions about his “responsability” on Veelers crash. As result, Cav took a journalist gramophone just to return it latter. His facebook page was flooded with insults and during the TT someone threw him a bottle of urine. He also had to deal with some booing. So his victory on stage 13 must have felt like heaven after such a difficult time.
    I honestly cannot understand why someone would even think of throwing a bottle full of urine at someone. What a terrible thing to do…
    Poor Christopher Froome looked a bit worried on the podium today. I don’t doubt his capacity but one has to wonder how Sky will protect him in the future stages, considering that Kirienka is out and Boasson Hagen had to withdrew because he broke his shoulder.
    Last edited by DaiKozOda; 07-13-2013 at 04:23 AM.

vCash
    According to my local tv station, the director of Team Saxo criticised Belkin's attitude of choosing to attack exactly when Valverde had a technical problem. Lack of fair-play he says.
    Meanwhile, Movistar was getting so much criticism for their strategic choices today that they chose to suspend their facebook account.

vCash
    I cant stand Cavendish but I do agree throwing urine is too much.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DaiKozOda View Post
    According to my local tv station, the director of Team Saxo criticised Belkin's attitude of choosing to attack exactly when Valverde had a technical problem. Lack of fair-play he says.
    One of the reporters asked Mollema if it was unsporting to attack when Valverde had a mechanical, and he responded that Valverde has been "unsportmanlike in the past few years too" - presumably referring to Valverde's Operation Puerto related suspension.

Froome's lead is large and he still only has to follow wheels in the mountains, not attack, but it's nice to see some excitement in what appeared to be a very boring GC race. And I love echelons - it's like the spring classics in the heat!

I can only imagine what the "Dutch corner" will be like on Sunday's stage with Mollema and Ten Dam so well placed on the GC!

vCash
    Very exciting stage- great to see. I wasn't bothered by the attack- it was already underway when Valverde had problems. Mostly, I was wondering why he didn't just grab a teammate's bike. Bad choice.

vCash
    It was indeed a very exciting stage.

Tranquillo
    vCash
    Cavendish's tweet about today's stage:
    Been lucky to witness some amazing teammates wins in my career, but today was the 1st that brought tears to my eyes. @MATTEOTRENTIN #soproud

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash

Tour de France 2013

Casual cycling follower question here:

Does GC = General Classification? Does this refer to the overall standings/order of the riders?
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Hi doubleturn!

Yes, GC does mean general classification.
    The leader of the general classification gets to wear the yellow jersey. It is an overall standing measured in time.

Rinkside on my iPhone
    vCash
    Thanks DaiKozOda!
    This space for rent.

vCash
    Anytime

Stage 16
    Interesting attacks by Contador but Froome was able to respond with the help of Porte. It looked like Contador was expecting some sort of help from Movistar riders. He and Froome almost went down in a curve. I'm glad nothing bad happened.
    Rui Costa won the stage in an emphatic way. He must be very proud of this victory after having won the Tour of Switzerland last month for the second year in a row.

Sidenote: today there was a weird/funny moment during the stage as the bunch had to stop in order to wait for a train to pass lol http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VrcdDV7fTsY

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast