Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    ^Hamill actually prior to Innsbruck was known for nerves

vCash
    Could she? Absolutely! She nearly did. You'all can go on and on about "decline" and "too many errors" etc.. But the huge tech marks she got from the judges tell a very different story. In fact, her entire loss seems to stem from the Canadian judge giving Witt a slight edge for presentation due to, I assume "spark" or "heart" or whatever the bs reasons they give. Witt skated a crowd pleasing shallow program that is quite frankly, rather juniorish IMO, especially compared to her own later skating. Summers was much better artistically at this point, and gave a program with a lot more skating in it, compared to witt's usual stand, rest, pose, flirt in between tricks showy programs, but Roz was a bit off and like in Nagano, the gold went to the skater with more visible energy.

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    She most certainly could have beat Witt, but I think it's right that she didn't. There were too many major technical omissions in that skate despite how lovely it was artistically.

Re: berthesghost's post, I wonder how Roz would feel if an on-air commentator said that she "phoned in" her Sarajevo LP.

vCash
    Roz's Oly LP was way overscored, IMO, especially the tech marks. And a 6.0 for presentation? I mean yeah, she was a pretty skater, but really?
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Roz's Oly LP was way overscored, IMO, especially the tech marks. And a 6.0 for presentation? I mean yeah, she was a pretty skater, but really?
    Well Witt sure as hell didnt deserve 5.9s from half of the judges for presentation for such a poorly choreographed hot mess of a program (atleast her short was well choregraphed and quite nice), and while I am no fan of Sumners, Roz was definitely a better presentation skater at that point so a 6.0 could easily be justified actually based on the presentation scores they had already given Witt. I am surprised it didnt come from one of the West German or Canadian judges instead who needed that to place her 1st, while the Italian didnt even need it to place her first, although I am relieved it didnt as I dont think she deserved to win with that skate. Giving a 6.0 in the case of one of the judges who wanted to place her above Witt overall, certainly made more sense than the Belgian judge who gave a 5.9 for tech. merit in order to do it.

Both Sumners and Witt were overscored on both sets of marks for the performances they gave that night, especialy Sumners on tech. and Witt on presentation, so it virtually evens out, and the right person probably won in the end. Had the scoring been correct Chin and Zayak would have finished 1-2 in the LP, which would have made absolutely no difference to Witt or Roz, but might have moved Chin past Ivanova for the bronze.

vCash
    I wish Sumners had kept her entire 83 LP for 84. I didn't think changing the middle part to "Amazing Grace" added anything new to it, and it was too bad that she dropped her trademark inside edge Ina Bauer into 2A combination.

vCash
    I agree her 83 LP was a great program. Really nice middle part too with the footwork section.

vCash
    Of course she could have. She arguably should have as it was. Had she landed just 1 more jump she wins easy. Had 1 of 3 judges given her .1 more she wins.

Couldnt she have won the Gold before the long even began by winning the short. Too bad she didnt have her 83 Nationals short performance as that would have won her the short program easily and secured the gold before the long even began, and she probably would have just let loose and done a great and easy winning long too then.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    Re: berthesghost's post, I wonder how Roz would feel if an on-air commentator said that she "phoned in" her Sarajevo LP.
    a sort of back to the future reverse karma.

I was shocked though, that mere seconds after narrowly losing the gold by 0.1 in a vote that fell almost scripted by east/west party lines, uncle dick was screaming into his mike "and it's not political! It's not political!"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123