Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanatic View Post
    Michelle's jumps actually got better while she was under RA, and that was during the last years of her career (2003-2005). During those years she had spotless skates at nationals twice, worlds (2003) and two very solid skates at worlds in 2004.

Your "worst skating ever" reference came from the very last major competition she participated in (2005 worlds) where she was competing under the new system for the first time. Her qualifying round was terrible but she finished the competition in 4th place which, granted, was unheard of for Michelle (having not missed a podium in 10 years) but when you put it in perspective it was a decent placement for anyone else. Saying RA was responsible for Michelle's worst finish ever (which was only 4th) at the end of a 10+ year career isn't fair to him or her.
    Not that I'm agreeing that RA is the problem... but I believe Michelle was with Scott Williams in 2003. At least he was with her at worlds.
    "How you treat the weak is
    Your true nature calling" -- Jane's Addiction

vCash
    Great choice for Ashley. I love how she has put a lot of thought into her choice of coaches these past few years, first Nicks, now Arutunian, in addition to her choreographers and costuming, just the whole package. I think her jumps will improve.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Thanks for the updates, Sylvia. Rafael with David and Shae-Lynn as her choreographers - definitely good choices, IMO.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Arutunian really helped Buttle and Kwan with their jump quality. As for Asada, she did achieve the most technically difficult free skate (for her, if not ever) while under him, at 2008 GPF.

I think it's too late to fix Wagner's flutz for Sochi, but he can definitely help push her with those big tricks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Arutunian really helped Buttle and Kwan with their jump quality. As for Asada, she did achieve the most technically difficult free skate (for her, if not ever) while under him, at 2008 GPF.

I think it's too late to fix Wagner's flutz for Sochi, but he can definitely help push her with those big tricks.
    IDK. Her flutz doesn't look severe. Maybe it can happen

vCash
    I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. D/W aren't doing any shows either because they are preparing for Sochi.

vCash
    I fear the possibility of too many cooks stirring the pot, Raphael and Nicks. No need to stay with Nicks imo. Jammers, maybe she needs the money to fund two coaches.
    Do nicks and Raphael coach at the same place? I wasn't aware they did and if they don't, Ashley is just adding more wear and tear on herself.

“It is far more important to have a good judge than a possible conflict of interest." - Ottavio Cinquanta
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. D/W aren't doing any shows either because they are preparing for Sochi.
    At the end of the season she claimed to want to take it easy on the travel for the Olympic year. Hmmm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    I fear the possibility of too many cooks stirring the pot, Raphael and Nicks. No need to stay with Nicks imo. Jammers, maybe she needs the money to fund two coaches.
    Do nicks and Raphael coach at the same place? I wasn't aware they did and if they don't, Ashley is just adding more wear and tear on herself.
    I think many skaters have multiple coaches (one main coaches and others are experts on certain things, esp. jumps). I don't see this situation as 'too many cooks'. Nicks can work on the mental aspect while RA works on her jump technique, upping the technical content, etc. Also, given Nick's desire to retire, Ashley is now guaranteed a coach to replace him, if he feels too weak to handle the stress.

vCash
    Traveling to Korea and then Japan in July... hmmmmm

vCash
    I don't know why we all decide "we know what is best" How many of us have her success in Figure Skating? Hmm.. But that's OK Those who can do, and those who can't snark on here 'she has too many coaches, she travels too much' etc LOL!

vCash
    I think she meant the extra travel during the actual season. Since this is the off season, I don't see anything wrong with doing some shows to make some money.

vCash
    Scary to me - Hope she holds onto her hips and her spirit.

vCash
    IMO, she's okay travelling a bit in July, but she needs to go steady come August, and travel only for GP's/Nationals leading up to the Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I have to wonder if Ashley is so intent on upping her technical content why she is doing so many shows this summer. It's almost July and she's booked for more shows and all that travel takes it's toll. Makes me wonder when the hard training is going to happen because 3-3's don't happen overnight. Meanwhile Gracie is continuing to work on upping her jumps even more. i.
    Well, unfortunately, not everyone is wealthy.......For some skaters and their families, money is no object-for others it's a huge deal..........

She might need to do shows to cover some training expenses?
    Last edited by demetriosj; 06-28-2013 at 02:22 AM.

vCash
    ^^^ She comes from a military family. I would assume they are not wealthy.
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    ^Having grown up in a military family, I can vouch for that.

I love all the "hmmm"s. Very . Next thing you know, we'll hear she's been seen skating on a grassy knoll.

As for the coaches, Nicks will always have my heart, bless his curmugeonly soul. But I'm glad she's found someone to strengthen those jumps.
    Charter member of the "We Always Believed in Ashley" Club and the "We Believe in Ricky" Club

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    I love all the "hmmm"s. Very . Next thing you know, we'll hear she's been seen skating on a grassy knoll.
    That Pollock SP was covertly supported by the CIA.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyliefan View Post
    ^I love all the "hmmm"s. Very . Next thing you know, we'll hear she's been seen skating on a grassy knoll.

hahahahahahahaha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Andora View Post
    Not that I'm agreeing that RA is the problem... but I believe Michelle was with Scott Williams in 2003. At least he was with her at worlds.
    She was with Scott as her main coach that year but that same year she started working with RA for her jumps. The year after that she switched to him as her main coach...

As for Ashley's situation, I think RA will be a technical coach mainly...I'm sure Nicks, who has done such an amazing job with her already, will more than likely be the head person in charge. Then again I could be wrong. But like I said, for Ashley, it's the best of both worlds.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast