Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I think many skaters have multiple coaches (one main coaches and others are experts on certain things, esp. jumps). I don't see this situation as 'too many cooks'. Nicks can work on the mental aspect while RA works on her jump technique, upping the technical content, etc. Also, given Nick's desire to retire, Ashley is now guaranteed a coach to replace him, if he feels too weak to handle the stress.
    Yes, Many have multiple coaches, but not all of the nearly equal status of Nicks and Raphael. What if a conflict develops between those two?

At this point, I had rather her hire a sports psychologist to help with the "mental aspects" rather than continue to use Nicks for that . I think he has probably given her as much as he can in that area. Some fresh views and thinking might help.
    Do Nicks and Raphael coach at the same place? If not, what is the distance between them.

vCash
    It's the distance between Lake Arrowhead and LA - approximately 80 miles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    ^^^ She comes from a military family. I would assume they are not wealthy.
    Her father is a retired Army lieutenant colonel. They receive a sizable pension as well as other benefits. Since he is still quite young he may have a job too. That being said, I doubt that they qualify as "wealthy".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    It's the distance between Lake Arrowhead and LA - approximately 80 miles.
    Thanks. I wonder how often she will make that trip. It really is not a short one.

vCash
    She could stay in Lake Arrowhead for days or weeks at a time, if she wanted to.

vCash
    Of course, but is that what she plans on doing since her living quarters are elsewhere.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    She could stay in Lake Arrowhead for days or weeks at a time, if she wanted to.
    If she did stay at Lake Arrowhead for extended periods, with an elevation of 5,174 ft, the training at altitude could potentially benefit her endurance.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iceman View Post
    Yes, Many have multiple coaches, but not all of the nearly equal status of Nicks and Raphael. What if a conflict develops between those two?

At this point, I had rather her hire a sports psychologist to help with the "mental aspects" rather than continue to use Nicks for that . I think he has probably given her as much as he can in that area. Some fresh views and thinking might help.
    Do Nicks and Raphael coach at the same place? If not, what is the distance between them.
    I think Ashley's made enough changes this season that she should keep some stability and stay with Nicks, as she has decided to do. He seems to have provided Ashley with something she hasn't been able to find elsewhere -- support, focus, confidence, stability? Who knows. In any event, finding that in a sports psychologist or anyone, for that matter, is not easy. And it's not the time to be looking for that elusive support person with the off-season well underway and the Olympic season around the corner.

What if a conflict develops between Raphael and Nicks? I'm sure they've discussed their respective roles and, since all have agreed to this arrangement, it seems they're comfortable with it. Conflict happens all the time -- between coaches, students, choreographers, parents. I don't the fact that there is potential for conflict is a reason not to go with this arrangement. You could find potential issues with almost every set-up.

O-

vCash
    She's making big changes, but none of them seem desperate or poorly thought out. I wish her all the best, I think she's on the right path.
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

vCash
    As for Lake Arrowhead I suppose going back and forth frequently is not useful for her, since Mao once said she felt some difficulties to adjust her jumps at the competitions feeling her weight heavier on the lower places. It might be better for Ashley to stay there for a certain period, like a week or two, to train her jumps with RA.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Correct me if I am wrong, did I read that Rafael might be going to the Toyota Sports Center? Or did I dream it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong, did I read that Rafael might be going to the Toyota Sports Center? Or did I dream it?

I read that too in another forum, but I think he would consider the wishes of Rippon and Chen before he would do that. And Toyota is still around 50 miles from where Wagner is now.

I checked the Toyota Sports Center web site. They have a section called "Look whose joining our staff". Raphael was not listed, but Frank Carroll was.
    I was surprised he only charges $50 for a 20 minute class.
    Last edited by Iceman; 06-29-2013 at 03:13 PM.

vCash
    I thought I read that too.

vCash
    Arutunian will be coaching in Lake Arrowhead this summer. I know Canada's Jeremy Ten is spending some time training there, as is Ira Vannut of Belgium. AFAIK, Arutunian may be relocating to Toyota Sports Center this fall, but an official announcement has yet to be made.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    This is a great decision. Wagner NEEDS 3F-3T in the short and 2A-3T in the free to even start thinking about the podium in Sochi. I hope Arutunian will get her there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    This is a great decision. Wagner NEEDS 3F-3T in the short and 2A-3T in the free to even start thinking about the podium in Sochi. I hope Arutunian will get her there.
    It might be easier if she just tries to do 3f-3t in both programs, and thus only has to train the one combo.

vCash
    Cross-posting from the U.S. Ladies and The ICE threads:
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Ashley cancelled participating in THE ICE TOUR(on 24th and 25th July in Aichi, and on 27th and 28th in Osaka Japan) because of her schedule.
    http://www2.ctv.co.jp/theice/?p=223

As some of you were worrying, her schedule was too tight back and forth traveling to Asia. It's good for her to take enough time to train with RA.
    ETA: Ashley tweeted the other day that she was on her way to Toronto to work with Shae-Lynn Bourne on her new SP this week.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-02-2013 at 03:25 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I read that too in another forum, but I think he would consider the wishes of Rippon and Chen before he would do that. And Toyota is still around 50 miles from where Wagner is now.

I checked the Toyota Sports Center web site. They have a section called "Look whose joining our staff". Raphael was not listed, but Frank Carroll was.
    I was surprised he only charges $50 for a 20 minute class.
    Why would Adam care? He already works with Frank at least one day a week.

vCash
    Frank Carroll...I was surprised he only charges $50 for a 20 minute class.
    Wow. He can make up to $150 an hour! Even if he only worked 5 hours a day only 4 days a week that's still $3000...roughly $12,000 a month! I need a new job... :-/

As for Ashley, good to hear she's getting focused. She seems to have been very busy over these last couple of weeks so hopefully she's realizing that if she really wants to maintain her positioning in the US and on the world stage, she needs to get busy.

I wonder if the show will replace her with anyone?

vCash
    Cross-posting this article link from the Programs/Choreographers thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by CatherineC View Post
    Ashley Wagner:
    SP - 'Shine On You Crazy Diamond' by Pink Floyd (choreographed by Shae-Lynn Bourne)
    FS - 'Romeo & Juliet' by Sergei Prokofiev (choreographed by David Wilson)
    "Two-time reigning U.S. champion Ashley Wagner has her coaches and choreographers in place, and now she has two new programs to showcase as she makes her Olympic push."
    http://web.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt from the interview:
    Icenetwork.com: What does working with coaches 80-plus miles apart do to your schedule?

Wagner: It's really not bad. It's an easy schedule to keep up with. I train Monday through Thursday (in Lake Arrowhead), and then I drive down and train with Mr. Nicks Friday and most Saturdays. The driving is long but, you know, it's the way it is in California.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-17-2013 at 06:14 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast