View Poll Results: Chan best skater ever if he wins all World and Olympic to 2018

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

14 25.93%
  • no

40 74.07%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Chan best skater ever with 8 Worlds and 2 Olympics

Chan plans to skate until the 2018 Olympics. He could well end his career with 2 Olympic Golds and 8 World titles if he wins all the events until that year. That would give him the best record ever. Karl Schafer has 2 Olympic Golds and 7 World titles. Grafstrom has 3 Olympic Golds but only about 3 World titles. Salchow has 10 World titles but only 1 Olympic Gold. Of modern day skaters who most consider best ever that record would be so far above Plushenko, Yagudin, Button, or Browning. So do you consider Chan the best ever if he as expected wins 8 straight Worlds and 2 straight Olympics as he is favored to do.

vCash
    It is only 2013 and you are expecting him to stay on top of his game and injury-free until 2018? That is a tall order.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Chan plans to skate until the 2018 Olympics.
    Source link, please?
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Source link, please?
    Chan has said he wants to shatter the record books so of course he is staying in until 2018, even if he doesnt say the exact words. Plus he has made no indication of retiring soon.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Okaaaay.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Chan is retiring after 2014 Olympics. So the above scenario is impossible. Best case scenario for him is 3 Worlds and Olympic Gold, and only 1 of those Worlds will be viewed even 50 years from now as legit. So no. Personally I think he ends his career with either a 3rd or 4th place in Sochi though which will make him about as well known as say Wolfgang Schwarz or Emmerich Danzer many years from now.

vCash
    I thought he was retiring after 2014 and would have retired after 2010 if he had won a medal. I don't think that he is the best skater ever even if he wins all that, because a lot of those wins weren't deserved. Even if they were Plushenko would have a case to be made with his three Olympic medals and all his Worlds wins.

vCash
    Chan plans to skate until the 2018 Olympics.
    No, I don't think he does. Before the Olympics, he said he planned on retiring after Worlds 2010. Before Nice (Worlds 2012), he said he was having issues getting motivated (something his then coach corroborated) and thought of retirement. I'd be floored if he competed at Worlds 2014 let alone Olympics 2018, which jives neither with his actions or words.

So do you consider Chan the best ever if he as expected wins 8 straight Worlds and 2 straight Olympics as he is favored to do.
    If Chan won eight straight worlds and two straight Olympics, yes - I'd argue he'd have a major claim to best ever

I do not agree that he is favoured to do so.

As for records, the one record I recall Chan aiming for the equaling Kwan's national title record, but he'd have to skate (and win) until 2016 to do so.

vCash
    it would be the death of figure skating.

vCash
    Chan plans to skate until the 2018 Olympics. He could well end his career with 2 Olympic Golds and 8 World titles if he wins all the events until that year. That would give him the best record ever. Karl Schafer has 2 Olympic Golds and 7 World titles. Grafstrom has 3 Olympic Golds but only about 3 World titles. Salchow has 10 World titles but only 1 Olympic Gold. Of modern day skaters who most consider best ever that record would be so far above Plushenko, Yagudin, Button, or Browning. So do you consider Chan the best ever if he as expected wins 8 straight Worlds and 2 straight Olympics as he is favored to do.
    What a stupid poll?! Just like some Chan detractor has claimed that Chan has 5, 6, or even 10 fall cushions, it's baseless! Next time, bring something reasonable, OK?!

Chan has said he wants to shatter the record books so of course he is staying in until 2018, even if he doesnt say the exact words. Plus he has made no indication of retiring soon.
    "Shatter the record books" was refering to the scores, not refering to the length of his skating career. He has said it many times that he will quit skating after 2014 Olympics and go to College. Unless you have some insider info about the change of his mind (looks like you have none), you are just dreaming.
    Last edited by Eyre; 06-26-2013 at 02:20 AM.

vCash

And if he doesn't break every record by 2018, he will continue ?

Quote Originally Posted by lala View Post
    it would be the death of figure skating.
    What ? That the best glider ever wins 8 Worlds and 2 Olympic titles ?

Anyway, this thread makes me confused. Chan barely won last year and this year World titles. So, I don't think it's reasonable to imagine he will never be defeated in the next 5 years !

vCash
    Athletes who won unfair medals the most can not be a legend in their sports.
    Last edited by karlon; 06-25-2013 at 10:21 AM.

vCash
    I hope Chan competes at 2018 Olympics. Because that is P.C Olympics.
    Anyways, I am curious where Chan will be positioned in people‘s ranking-book if Chan wins a gold in 2011WC fashion at Sochi.
    In my book Chan is already ranked high.

vCash
    I'm seriously irritated if this is supposed to be a troll and joke thread. People who would have wanted to give others some room for bashing again couldn't have done it much better.

Anyway, Chan said he wants to retire after Sochi, and even if he continued, I doubt he'd win that may titles (and I don't think any other skater these days could).

vCash
    I think the only small chance of Chan continuing is if he didnt win a medal of any color in Sochi. Even a bronze would 100% guarantee him going pro/ending his skating career. Even if he did not win a medal I still think he would be 75% likely atleast to be finished, but it would leave a small possability of him continuing, but in that case I doubt he would even make it to 2018 as his technical skills are already on decline and eventually the field has to improve from what it was the last 4-5 years (IMO the worst ever), and once he wasnt a serious contender anymore he wouldnt go on.

vCash
    This poll is to flush out the Chan haters line then up and then .... ready, aim fire!
    Its funny how some people fell for it.

Banned Member
    vCash
    I will be happy for Chan if he completes the competitions he wishes to participate in and retires after Sochi. I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOO happy for him, and even happier myself.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    I reeeeeallly hope that Chan skates until 2018 so we can see how many of the heads of people who post in these threads explode.

It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    To the well-meaning person who advised me "Don't waste your time arguing with the troll" - don't worry, I wasn't really arguing.

vCash
    Reality, imho, would dictate that any skater capable of winning 8 worlds and 2 Olys, would have to be a contender for this title. How likely is it to happen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast