Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    vCash
    First look at Tessa and Scotts new programs/SD???
    http://statigr.am/p/497910438465532358_8198227

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    I honestly believe some of Marina's apparent disinterest in Tess and Scott can be attributed to the fact that they are definite about retiring after this year. She has another team , D/W, who have not said they are retiring, and are potentially WCh's for a couple more years. I would think, financially, this is where the bottom line comes for her. But that's pure speculation on my part and definitely quite a cynical opinion!
    I think D/W are definitely retiring after Sochi/Tokyo, though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    I honestly believe some of Marina's apparent disinterest in Tess and Scott can be attributed to the fact that they are definite about retiring after this year. She has another team , D/W, who have not said they are retiring, and are potentially WCh's for a couple more years. I would think, financially, this is where the bottom line comes for her. But that's pure speculation on my part and definitely quite a cynical opinion!
    I agree with Proustable that D/W will probably go to Worlds after Sochi, but will not continue for more seasons. I actually think that those who have said (something like) that Marina would rather like to have two Olympic Champions attached to her name, than just one, are right.

vCash
    Hey everyone!! I've been reading the boards for a while now for news/ updates, but I avoided posting to avoid the drama. (As if that's even possible when you're a figure skating fan!) Anyway, the suspense for the music choices is killing me, so I finally gave in and decided to join the posting. I'll keep the intro short: I'm American. I looooove V/M. I'm planning to see them at either Skate Canada or Nationals this year (still working that out). Carmen was my favorite program EVER. And I'm stoked for Olympic year, but sad that it's the last. My greatest wish is that this year the judges grow/ find/ have implanted enough brain cells to reward V/M's brilliance!

vCash

vCash
    Was a bit behind, but caught up now. I'm not sure the hate V/M get is linked to them being Canadian. Maybe some of it, but I'm not seeing that as the main reason. Macassar, I think Marina does see it, but maybe feels there's nothing she can do about it. She has to come across fairly to both teams so she can't throw one under the bus.

Thanks for the pictures guys! Where is Bouch BTW?

Quote Originally Posted by MissJD View Post
    Hey everyone!! I've been reading the boards for a while now for news/ updates, but I avoided posting to avoid the drama. (As if that's even possible when you're a figure skating fan!) Anyway, the suspense for the music choices is killing me, so I finally gave in and decided to join the posting. I'll keep the intro short: I'm American. I looooove V/M. I'm planning to see them at either Skate Canada or Nationals this year (still working that out). Carmen was my favorite program EVER. And I'm stoked for Olympic year, but sad that it's the last. My greatest wish is that this year the judges grow/ find/ have implanted enough brain cells to reward V/M's brilliance!
    Welcome! I'm also trying to plan how to go to nationals. At first my first goal was Skate Canada, but I was obviously being delusional as I didn't have the financial means for that specific event (well I thought someone else would foot the bill, but I got a no lol). I actually looked for a job (and surprisingly got it) because I want to go so badly. I thought flight prices from California to Ontario would be rather pricey, but they're not. I really hope it happens!!
    Last edited by Shayii; 07-12-2013 at 05:19 AM.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Possibly because they're Canadian? After following the figure skating threads for many years, I've noticed a small but persistent group of posters who deride Canadian skaters at every opportunity. Like the nonsensical poster who repeats ad nauseum that Skate Canada is corrupt. It's gone on for years because few get called on it.
    I have noticed this too. It always made sad.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Shayii;3954641]

Thanks for the pictures guys! Where is Bouch BTW?

QUOTE]
    I guess it must be Boucherville.

vCash
    Just loved the photos by JMG.

As for why Tessa & Scott are getting the short end of things. My guess is that if D/W were NOT Americans and the U.S.'s best hope for a medal at the Olympics, you would not see so much bashing and anti-V/M -- at least not around here. I still have a difficult time looking back on last season and the results considering how the season started.

I'm also thinking that Maria is looking to have the "2 different Olympian champions" to put on her resume by this time next season. The key word here is different. IMO, if she had one team win Olympic gold twice, it could look like she was able to carry the momentum of one team through multiple seasons. To me, that would show her brilliance.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Just loved the photos by JMG.

As for why Tessa & Scott are getting the short end of things. My guess is that if D/W were NOT Americans and the U.S.'s best hope for a medal at the Olympics, you would not see so much bashing and anti-V/M -- at least not around here. I still have a difficult time looking back on last season and the results considering how the season started.

I'm also thinking that Maria is looking to have the "2 different Olympian champions" to put on her resume by this time next season. The key word here is different. IMO, if she had one team win Olympic gold twice, it could look like she was able to carry the momentum of one team through multiple seasons. To me, that would show her brilliance.
    Since she's already had one team win Olympic gold twice, maybe she feels she's already shown her brilliance in that area.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Since she's already had one team win Olympic gold twice, maybe she feels she's already shown her brilliance in that area.
    She was their choreographer, not their coach. There is a difference.

vCash
    I can't wait to see them skate again!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bbkenn View Post
    I can't wait to see them skate again!!!
    Same. I can't wait for them to announce their music the suspense is killing me.

vCash
    Do they usually announce their music? I honestly can't remember ! Do we usually just find out at high performance camp?

vCash

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Carmen Ovsiannikov View Post
    I can't be only because Tessa and Scott are Canadian. B&K and D&L of course were Canadian but while some fans found B&K overrated there were just as many (if not more) who vehemently defended them. Even the American press lacking any dance team of their own to promote took up the cause of B&K. And D&L while not as popular as B&K were, were given their due and none of their placements were questioned.

I'm really taken aback (although I shouldn't be by now) with how V&M have been treated this entire quad thus far. I've never seen a team who skates at the level Tessa and Scott do subjected to the constant negativity they have been. That includes ridiculous speculation and made up stories about their personal lives. I lost a great deal of respect for Jenny Kirk after that podcast. Heck, perhaps I should offer to be interviewed about the icedance competition as I have just as much "knowledge" as Jenny's partner in that interview (been an icedance fan for almost 30 years). Actually if we are pushing it that far I can name a few posters here on FSU who are far more knowledeable than both Jenny and her partner who IMO is nothing more than a fan with a blog. Jenny should have known better and ITA if that conversation was about any team other than V&M it would have cause a huge blow up.
    Listened to only a short piece of Jenny Kirk & her bizarre blogger partner's (who pretends to be an expert) nasty podcast & that was enough. She is an unfortunate & unmemorable ex-skater desperately seeking a few minutes of fame through gossip. She uses insinuates that V/M's stoppage at 4CC was "suspect" & somehow linked to their rivalry with D/W - such bs. We should all just laugh it off because when athletes like V/M are so good, so dominant, all sorts of unbalanced & meanspirited people emerge from the woodwork.

vCash
    I feel I need to defend Jenny, Dave, and their videos/podcast. Were their comments about Tessa unpopular on this thread? Yes. Were their comments made about Tessa made without knowledge of her situation? Absolutely. However, at the same time, they are entitled to their own opinion and that's exactly what they are doing. Everyone on this board is welcome to make videos about the same thing they are.

The Skating Lesson is essentially a fan-run blog, not simply writing the facts of skating news. In fact, I don't think they are doing any more insinuating than a few posters have done on this thread, with accusing Igor of policking against V/M or D/W of gamesmanship. To me, it's actually good to hear both sides of an argument, not just the one side that we like.

Lastly, if you were to give TSL a chance, their coverage and interviews are excellent. With skating coverage so scarce now, it's giving skating fans something to talk about and engage them in another conversation. It's rare a current skater gets the opportunity to really show their personality and show what mindset they're in (i.e. the Max Aaron interview was a great example of that). They are having Ashley Wagner (someone who TSL has criticized repeatedly, so it's not just Tessa) as a guest on their show in a few weeks. It's going to give her the platform to say her side of the story for close to an hour, rather than the five minutes she's gonna get from the mainstream media in the lead up to the Olympics. That's something I, as a skating fan, do appreciate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan12 View Post
    I feel I need to defend Jenny, Dave, and their videos/podcast. Were their comments about Tessa unpopular on this thread? Yes. Were their comments made about Tessa made without knowledge of her situation? Absolutely. However, at the same time, they are entitled to their own opinion and that's exactly what they are doing. Everyone on this board is welcome to make videos about the same thing they are.

The Skating Lesson is essentially a fan-run blog, not simply writing the facts of skating news. In fact, I don't think they are doing any more insinuating than a few posters have done on this thread, with accusing Igor of policking against V/M or D/W of gamesmanship. To me, it's actually good to hear both sides of an argument, not just the one side that we like.

Lastly, if you were to give TSL a chance, their coverage and interviews are excellent. With skating coverage so scarce now, it's giving skating fans something to talk about and engage them in another conversation. It's rare a current skater gets the opportunity to really show their personality and show what mindset they're in (i.e. the Max Aaron interview was a great example of that). They are having Ashley Wagner (someone who TSL has criticized repeatedly, so it's not just Tessa) as a guest on their show in a few weeks. It's going to give her the platform to say her side of the story for close to an hour, rather than the five minutes she's gonna get from the mainstream media in the lead up to the Olympics. That's something I, as a skating fan, do appreciate.
    This is a Tessa and Scott über thread.......yes Jenny and whoever can say what they want but WE have a right to disagree with their skewed interpretation of the event.

vCash
    Skatingfan12, how come every posts I've seen you make in the V/M thread is always chastising us? I feel like we're always doing something wrong to you and it's your duty to let us know it.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan12 View Post
    I feel I need to defend Jenny, Dave, and their videos/podcast.

<snip>
    No, you really don't need to. They read this board, if they feel the need to defend themselves they will do it themselves. You are just bored that no one in this thread has giving you a reason to get on your soapbox lately so are grabbing onto this. Find another hobby, I hear knitting can be fun.

vCash
    Also, people can say whatever they want, it's their opinion, but when you make a YouTube vlog and create an audience for yourself, you owe it to them to do a little research before presenting your "analyses". It is your responsibility. Why do you think guys like Perez Hilton are so widely despised? Because they make a show out of other people's misfortune. If The Skating Lesson people (the irony of that name is not lost on me, by the way) had done a little research, they would've known that Tessa has been struggling with this same injury for years now, muscles tighten and then pain takes over. Oh, and I feel those comments shouldn't just be unpopular on this thread, as you made sure to point out, but elsewhere. It is not right to call out a fellow skater like that, with zero knowledge on the situation, on a public forum and without even having the decency to give her call and ask her what happened. Especially knowing it's Tessa Virtue, an Olympic and World champion. You owe your colleague some respect, no?

Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast