Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 1001
  1. #121
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    190
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The tone of this letter is sickening. It's one thing for ignorant fans to blame the skaters for decisions which are made by the officials. But to put out that propaganda in an official ISU document? It should read repeated incorrect scoring of the interruptions by the officials.
    With all the politicking that goes on in figure skating, it's no wonder that fans are inclined to believe that there is something besides the search for fairness in figure skating judging behind this. I have a sinking feeling that this season is going to be just nasty.

  2. #122
    Rooting for the Underdogs
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Politicking for P&B and V&M
    Posts
    1,630
    vCash
    887
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Proustable View Post
    a) To me, I don't see any skater misuse. This is less about V/M and more about the ISU realizing that they had a stupidly written rule and attempting to blame the skaters for it. V/M were the most high profile demonstration of this rule's flaw (compounded by the fact that V/M were allowed to do that lift - I think V/M were surprised to be able to redo the lift in the first place) and as such it's easy to see this as being against them (just like the rule limiting the number of triples was 'against' Elaine Zayak as she was the most high profile beneficiary of that rule's absence). I'm more curious if this affects scoring of V/M, but I doubt it will (the narrative wouldn't survive then). I hope SC gets it's ass in gear and starts supporting V/M more, though.

    b) I'm glad that the rule was clarified and changed.

    c) The wording, again, is more about a bureaucracy protecting itself and declaiming against blame.
    Oh, I think this is all about V/M. There was no outcry about the Shibs having to stop. There wasn't much of a fuss about the young French team stopping at Junior Worlds. It was V/M's stop that everyone got their knickers in a twist over. The contention being put forth by some is that V/M weren't properly penalized because their score was still what it was. That contention only works if you don't want to accept that V/M were well on their way to a monster score and were out-GOEing D/W before they had to stop. People want this reframed because they don't want to think about what V/M's score would have been without the stop--a score that would have been higher than D/W's. By saying that they didn't lose enough points, they're trying to make it so that the take-away is that V/M couldn't/shouldn't/wouldn't have scored (and beating D/W) if they hadn't been injured, even though that's exactly what was about to happen if they hadn't have stopped. It's setting up the idea for the upcoming season that V/M aren't as good as D/W and shouldn't be marked as such. This is all about politics aimed at ensuring V/M don't win next season because it's at odds with an agenda to get the OGM for D/W. That's why this is happening. It's not about fixing a rule or anything like that.

  3. #123

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by volunteer View Post
    The tone of this letter is sickening. It's one thing for ignorant fans to blame the skaters for decisions which are made by the officials. But to put out that propaganda in an official ISU document? It should read repeated incorrect scoring of the interruptions by the officials.
    With all the politicking that goes on in figure skating, it's no wonder that fans are inclined to believe that there is something besides the search for fairness in figure skating judging behind this. I have a sinking feeling that this season is going to be just nasty.
    At CoR we have a lot off discussions about Shibs stop. But the main question was - why referee let them have stop more, them 2 minutes, why he let them re-start doing that lift, which they started to do before stop, why this lift was counted. But not about Alex did this to get better score.
    Plus the worst case was in 2006 Zhangs, who had stop more then 2 minutes and then won silver medal at OG.

  4. #124
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    1,818
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Can someone post a link to this letter? I can't find it.

  5. #125
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post
    At CoR we have a lot off discussions about Shibs stop. But the main question was - why referee let them have stop more, them 2 minutes, why he let them re-start doing that lift, which they started to do before stop, why this lift was counted. But not about Alex did this to get better score.
    Plus the worst case was in 2006 Zhangs, who had stop more then 2 minutes and then won silver medal at OG.
    I'm also recall reading an article where someone was quoted as saying they believed the Shibs stopped because they entered their lift wrong, that on the reskate you can see the difference between the attempts. I want to say it was Maxim Stavisky but I can't dig up the article again so that is just a guess on my part. Not surprisingly it was ignored by most and it was *only* the German team who would have benefitted from a deduction to the Shibs. On the flip side a deduction to V&M would have not changed the results AT ALL but all hell broke loose. I'll leave it up to others to connect the dots...

  6. #126

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by Macassar88 View Post
    Can someone post a link to this letter? I can't find it.
    This link didnt work anymore.
    https://www.facebook.com/notes/peter...51523504576186

  7. #127

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    I found P&C to have an egregious misuse of the rule. They had injuries before the FD, and then seemed to have planned to split the program into 2 parts to be able to manage to get through the whole thing, and finished 2nd overall, the same spot they were in before the FD, plus got a season's best score. Plus there was another jr team at Jr Worlds that used the rule.

    Perhaps that is what finally plucked Cinquanta's last nerve. I doubt he is a huge D&W fan; he probably wanted to advance the cause of C&L if anything.

    Plus I don't think Tessa & Scott abused the rule, in any case.

    But I thought a rule change was proposed, not finalized? If there is a new rule, does anyone know what the text of it is?

  8. #128
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    I found P&C to have an egregious misuse of the rule. They had injuries before the FD, and then seemed to have planned to split the program into 2 parts to be able to manage to get through the whole thing, and finished 2nd overall, the same spot they were in before the FD, plus got a season's best score. Plus there was another jr team at Jr Worlds that used the rule.
    I agree that the case of Papadakis & Cizeron was egregious, but I absolutely do not fault them, and I think it was outrageous for the ISU letter to cite "obvious misuse by the skaters."

    IIRC, the article at the time stated that P&C did not intend to skate, but they decided to give it a try. The pain got to be too much, so they went over to the referee to withdraw, and she told them they were allowed to "rest" for three minutes and resume, so that's what they did. I'm sure this was absolutely not the intent of the rule, so either the rule was not written clearly or the referee misapplied it. I see no evidence that they, V&M, or the Shibs did anything but stop because they were in pain and simply followed the instructions of the referee. IMO, V&M and the Shibs should not have gotten to re-do their lifts (I would have allowed them to re-start as of when the music stopped, not when they stopped - V&M would have still won silver without the 10+ points from their lift, anyway), but that is not their fault, it's the fault of the referee or how the rule was written.

    The rule definitely needed clarification (alas, this new one looks even more confusing), but there was no need to say the skaters had misused the rule.

    It would have made more sense to say that the way the rule was applied last season, it leaves open the possibility of someone deliberately misusing it to gain an advantage.

    I believe you are right, the new rule is only a proposal.

  9. #129

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Yes, I think that is fair, but P&C might not have even tried to skate if they had not had the rule in mind for what to do if they could not finish.

    Absolutely, I agree that all the skaters USED the rule; its language is not their fault, and no misapplication of the rule was done.

  10. #130
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,807
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11008
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Yes, I think that is fair, but P&C might not have even tried to skate if they had not had the rule in mind for what to do if they could not finish.

    Perhaps, but I think we can all agree that this is only speculation, so it was unfair for the ISU to say "obvious misuse." Lots of other athletes have skated in debilitating pain without taking a break, like Stojko and Zhao. P&C may have simply been trying to hang on for ranking points, expecting to drop in the standings, never assuming they would get a break or still win silver anyway (and I do think they were overscored).

  11. #131

    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    934
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    7453
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Yes, I think that is fair, but P&C might not have even tried to skate if they had not had the rule in mind for what to do if they could not finish.
    Papadakis said after the incident that she had not known the rule could be used like that. She tried to skate because it was the climax of their season, and stopped because the pain in her ankle was proving too much, and was intending at that point to withdraw. They only decided to try to continue because the referee told them they were allowed to have the 3 minute break. They were not pre-planning to abuse the rule as you are implying.

    The problem lies here with the way the officials were interpreting the rules.

  12. #132
    Banned Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    167
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Is it my paranoia or has there been some serious campaigning to undermine V&M. To be this effective (an ISU rule change so fast) it must be someone who's part of the elite community or perhaps from someone from Canton? I have my suspicions. I have never had a problem with skaters stopping if a danger exists - I mean we all know it does affect the final mark whether it's 'official' or not.
    I have to say, I'm a bit scared about what's going to happen this season. It does seem there is a strong force aiming to put V/M down at every possible opportunity, and it works in the dark which leaves little chance to fight it. I really don't think V/M deserve any of those attacks, but who is going to help them?

  13. #133
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,052
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    "Sorry, this page isn't available
    The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

    LOL
    Maybe we can send a complaint to the ISU I mean the letter did have an email attached to it. Since complaining seems to work .
    Last edited by parapluies; 07-08-2013 at 06:53 PM.

  14. #134

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Gabriela was cried, when she stop FD. Alex Shibutanie lying in K&C untill next team finikshed there FD.
    I told this, because i hope DW and there fans will never feel something like this. Never

  15. #135

    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Staring at the ocean, anywhere anytime
    Posts
    9,866
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    11372
    Yes, I hope that no dance team will have any injuries in this Olympic season-I want to see every team skate their very, very best all season long! What a treat that would be.

  16. #136

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    8,728
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1795
    Quote Originally Posted by DORISPULASKI View Post
    Yes, I hope that no dance team will have any injuries in this Olympic season-I want to see every team skate their very, very best all season long! What a treat that would be.
    Sorry, Doris, but what you think and want i see on Golden Skate. Why you feel you must post in this tread? Talk about us in SS and at GS

  17. #137
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    "Sorry, this page isn't available
    The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

    LOL
    Maybe we can send a complaint to the ISU I mean the letter did have an email attached to it. Since complaining seems to work .
    I certainly think it's appropriate to complain to the ISU about the 'obvious misuse' statement. Anyone who follows through on this should ask them to either prove that statement or withdraw it - preferably with an apology.

  18. #138
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    424
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    "Sorry, this page isn't available
    The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

    LOL
    Maybe we can send a complaint to the ISU I mean the letter did have an email attached to it. Since complaining seems to work .
    I certainly think it's appropriate to complain to the ISU about the 'obvious misuse' statement. Anyone who follows through on this should ask them to either prove that statement or withdraw it - preferably with an apology.

  19. #139

    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    1,898
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I'm also recall reading an article where someone was quoted as saying they believed the Shibs stopped because they entered their lift wrong, that on the reskate you can see the difference between the attempts. I want to say it was Maxim Stavisky but I can't dig up the article again so that is just a guess on my part. Not surprisingly it was ignored by most and it was *only* the German team who would have benefitted from a deduction to the Shibs. On the flip side a deduction to V&M would have not changed the results AT ALL but all hell broke loose. I'll leave it up to others to connect the dots...
    There was a double standard when it comes to V/M and nobody can convince me otherwise. I know people will just say V/M fans are crazy and paranoid or whatever, but when the same thing happened to the Shibs all I saw was sympathy and concerns from people. With V/M people just wanted to rip them a new one and "omg they're so scared to lose!" and "look they're trying to cheat their way to a medal!" The fact that people are still making comments that specifically says V/M's stop was an embarrassment and the wording of the letter makes me feel they have no chance next season.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

  20. #140
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Marseille
    Posts
    1,052
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    What have V/M - especially Tessa - done to deserve this hate? I don't get it.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •