Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    This. I can't even imagine the couple skating to Mahler doing this program. That was like a kindergarten performance compared to the difficulty of Mahler. How could you upgrade your difficulty that much if you had not "improved"? I also think they upgraded the power behind their skating a lot since 2010 (and it was already great then), which is especially evident in the Funny Face FD and the 2013 SD. Their yankee polka sequence had fantastic power. They continue to blow me away each season with new things, so yeah, I don't understand how people think they're regressing technically. They struggled with a few moves on the GP but that's normal. If you struggle on newer, much more difficult moves, you aren't regressing. They got everything the way it was supposed to be in the FD by Worlds. That's the way it's supposed to work, peak for Worlds.
    Well said!

The notion of V/M regressing is not only completely laughable but a total fabrication to undermine them. Funny...how quickly they pointed out V/M's (supposed) regression technically was due to Shilpband's departure when that very same fact were not also relegated to those who used to be under him ( like the Shibs or DW) Remember when V/M were criticized for excelling only in lyrical and/or Latin theme dance? And lo, FF and Carmen were created specifically to highlight their versatility as well as their maturity (and strength) ...evident within the newer dance movements and unbelievable intricate lifts. Regression, my foot!

Alas...

Of course, who best to perpetuate that notion except those who despise VM's success in the first place, especially since 2010 Olympic win? Sad really... I have resigned to the fact that so long as they (VM) compete, they will be in a position of being "damned if they do or damned if they don't" by those very same quibblers.

P.s. Thank you, Sahararainfall, for the warm welcome

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    Is the entry list out? How do you guys know this? Sorry, I feel like I'm always asking questions that everybody already has the answers to lol.
    No. Just Pre-view article on official site
    http://www.stll.fi/?x2126=3789674

But for example Gosviani (who was named in article) will compete in Slovakia. Like C-L.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature..._rb7iRc#t=3832
    Buttle was asked by TSL what he thinks about Tessa and Scott

Tessa Virtue - Perfection
    Scott Moir - Adorable
    At what mark does he say that? I don't want to watch the whole thing. It's funny because I wouldn't have thought of that word to describe Scott lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post

But for example Gosviani (who was named in article) will compete in Slovakia. Like C-L.
    Oh I see. Thank you.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

YEAH!
    vCash
    I thought I had linked to the right spot - I checked and re-checked when I first posted, but now it's taking me to Buttle talking about gay rights in Russia. The part where he talks about other skaters is at 1h 3 min.

vCash
    Thanks for providing Jeff's comments about both Tessa & Scott.

I too would not have called Scott "adorable" but then I don't know him except as a fan. I would think that Jeff "knows" these two far better than I so I trust what he says about them.

That being said, I think Scott is adorable, especially in his treatment of Tessa as we have seen over the years. Tessa = perfection; totally on point.
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Hi everyone! I have been gone but I'm back and ready for this upcoming season! I wanted to thank the people on this forum who make coming here really enjoyable because you guys are always on top of all of the information! The detail and effort put into analyzing everything especially the music and the news for this upcoming season is really amazing! Thank you all I don't currently have much to add to anything except has this photo been posted?

http://web.stagram.com/p/524839499407897607_230749940

YEAH!
    vCash
    No it wasn't. Very pretty pic. Who are those girls, just her friends?

vCash
    yes this was posted not too long ago.

vCash
    Loved Jeff Buttle's nonchalant comment about being roommates with Tessa during the World Championships. Nice to see a more liberal approach to the rooming groups. I remember at the Olympics, Tanith Belbin and Johnny Weir were also roommates and there was a lot of fun commentary over who would bring the scented candles. I bet Jeff and Tessa made for very supportive roommates at competitions. Two lovely people for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    Loved Jeff Buttle's nonchalant comment about being roommates with Tessa during the World Championships. Nice to see a more liberal approach to the rooming groups. I remember at the Olympics, Tanith Belbin and Johnny Weir were also roommates and there was a lot of fun commentary over who would bring the scented candles. I bet Jeff and Tessa made for very supportive roommates at competitions. Two lovely people for sure.
    Tessa has mentioned her favorite roommates were Joannie and Jeff iirc.

vCash
    I think it's GREAT that the federations support/allow the athletes to room mixed gender when there are supportive and positive friendships involved. Competitions are stressful enough. Rooming with someone who boosts your spirits makes all the sense in the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leapfrogonice View Post
    I think it's GREAT that the federations support/allow the athletes to room mixed gender when there are supportive and positive friendships involved. Competitions are stressful enough. Rooming with someone who boosts your spirits makes all the sense in the world.
    IIRC Tessa also said that rooming with Jeff in 2008 Worlds was inspiring because of his confidence/energy or something I don't remember the exact words. I wish I could find the video.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pani View Post

Thanks, Pani

Found them (Bobrova/Soloviev) on YouTube this weekend:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=9aItNp2myYE

Other than them, I'm excited to watch programs from Pechalat/Bourzat, Davis/White, Weaver/Poje and The Shibs...

After Virtue/Moir's SD, I couldn't help thinking about their costume change (if any). The chosen piece had this 1930s vibe, to me. I like the free flow fringe of her 2011 sd dress. Would love to see her in something like, the Charleston swing dress (except not in pink or gray) or this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0A-vLb3Dt9w. Though, they both did look superb in their Finn step outfits...if going that route...

Still remember watching their first outing of FF at Finlandia and then later, at Skate Canada. Tessa went from white dress to the red one. Have to admit, with that one change, it really completed the feel of the program!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    It's funny because I wouldn't have thought of that word to describe Scott lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    I too would not have called Scott "adorable"
    Maybe you have missed seeing adorable Scott in these pictures?

http://distilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws...0a1fb149_7.jpg

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AsianFSFan View Post
    Thanks, Pani

Found them (Bobrova/Soloviev) on YouTube this weekend:
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=r...&v=9aItNp2myYE

Other than them, I'm excited to watch programs from Pechalat/Bourzat, Davis/White, Weaver/Poje and The Shibs...

After Virtue/Moir's SD, I couldn't help thinking about their costume change (if any). The chosen piece had this 1930s vibe, to me. I like the free flow fringe of her 2011 sd dress. Would love to see her in something like, the Charleston swing dress (except not in pink or gray) or this: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0A-vLb3Dt9w. Though, they both did look superb in their Finn step outfits...if going that route...

Still remember watching their first outing of FF at Finlandia and then later, at Skate Canada. Tessa went from white dress to the red one. Have to admit, with that one change, it really completed the feel of the program!
    Are you saying the new SD has a 1930s vibe? I don't think it does, it's a 50s vibe to me (probably because Ella and Louis did the majority of their duets during the mid 1950s and the genre was considered jazz). So I don't think the charleston dress would work. I actually can't imagine what outfits they'll go with. As long as they don't wear all white for the FD I'll be happy.

I didn't like the white dress Tessa wore for FF at Finlandia, but I loved the red dress.

ETA: Varbar, lol I have seen Scott being adorable in those pics. It must have crossed my mind, I'm used to the intense Scott: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbMtR23n_mg
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    And this judges (for example) tell two time OGM Platov he didn't understand how pattern dance must be skated or didn't understand how to reach level 4 in steps and how to show outside blade. It's interesting
    It actually doesn't surprise me to hear this. Under the old 6.0 judging of compulsory dances, there were two school of thought. One school (usually incl North Americans) put the priority on getting the steps, edges and timing exactly correct. The other school (including Russians) were willing to fudge a bit, esp on timing, in order to perfect the look of the dance. I can recall many times some US commentator complaining about Russians (often G&P) placing first in a CD, using replays to point out in places where a step was not done as they thought it should be or done a little too early or too quickly so the skaters could better move into the next step. (This was usually followed up by replay of the American getting the steps exactly right but not looking nearly as good doing it.) So, it seems entirely possible to me that Platov may have learned his CDs with the emphasis on how it looked rather than precise obedience to the rulebook description. With the way levels are assigned today, I think exact execution of the rulebook pattern, at least on the emphasized steps, is more essential thatn it used to be.

This perhaps explains why the patterns in the SD don't usually look as good as the same skaters did doing it as a CD. It was interesting to compare the Golden Waltz patterns the first year of the SDs to the previous year CDs. I was really surprised how much better everyone looked the year before.

vCash
    The North Americans were correct, otherwise why call it a Compulsory Dance? It's more likely Platov was accustomed to getting the highest marks whether the edge was correct or not. Majority judges ruled.

YEAH!
    vCash
    But then, why call it a "dance" and not compulsory steps?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Maybe you have missed seeing adorable Scott in these pictures?

http://distilleryimage0.s3.amazonaws...0a1fb149_7.jpg
    Sorry, I guess I didn't make it clear. I think Scott can look adorable in photos but when someone says his name, adorable is not the first word that comes to mind.

In my case, I'd likely use competitive, intense, tender-hearted (at least with Tessa), loyal and fun loving.

I tend to use adorable on those who are "younger" -- babies, toddlers, pre-schoolers, young children in general. Guess that's just old school me. However, I would agree that there are times when someone can look adorable whether that be in a photo or some video clip. I certainly didn't mean to imply anything negative about Scott for those who do think he's adorable. I'd be proud to call him son (and I'm plenty old enough to be his mom!)

I am NOT going to show those photos to my 21 year old daughter who is going into her honours year for a Bachelor of Science in Marine Biology. One of her unfulfilled wishes is to swim with dolphins. She'd likely look at the photo and quietly sigh, wishing she was with the dolphin. Scott -- well she'd put up with him as long as she got her turn with "the fish"!
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    And a very Happy Birthday to a wonderful talented dancer- Scott Moir.
    http://static.diary.ru/userdir/1/6/8...8/79345083.jpg

Page 42 of 51 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 ... LastLast