Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parapluies View Post
    http://www.corusent.com/home/Corpora...t.aspx?Id=2542

I hope this doesn't distract them from their training. This is going to be way longer than Ice Sweat and Tears.
    I think it's great. Look forward to seeing it. It's only six episodes. It doesn't have to be draining and looks like it will be all finished filming by the time they need to go into their Olympic bubble

I think most fans will be thrilled with this. They don't do social media and are rather private compared to other skaters so it will be nice for us to have these glimpses into their final season together.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    They don't do social media and are rather private compared to other skaters so it will be nice for us to have these glimpses into their final season together.
    ahhh... this makes me sad.

Thanks everybody for sharing links. It's much appreciated.

vCash
    I. Can. Not. Wait.

vCash
    Didn't Torvill and Dean do a documentary like this in 1994 and then end up losing? Or did the documentary come out after the 94 Games?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sap5 View Post
    Didn't Torvill and Dean do a documentary like this in 1994 and then end up losing? Or did the documentary come out after the 94 Games?
    Yes, Torvill and Dean did do a documentary in the lead-up to Lillehammer. It was a one-off which was aired after the Olympics were over so it had their experience at the Games. They didn't win but I don't think they were really in the same position as Tessa and Scott. They changed the content of their freedance about 60% between Euros and the Olympics and threw in loads of content from their old programs which was part of the reason I feel they lost, rather than it just being the documentary which distracted them.

The documentary stays in my head because my stupid 12 year old self wasn't ready to record it on VHS when it came on the tv, I grabbed the nearest cassette and shoved it in the machine and inadvertantly recorded over Gordeeva and Grinkov's Olympic freeskate. Thank God for youtube years later so I could get Moonlight Sonata back!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    I think it's great. Look forward to seeing it. It's only six episodes. It doesn't have to be draining and looks like it will be all finished filming by the time they need to go into their Olympic bubble

I think most fans will be thrilled with this. They don't do social media and are rather private compared to other skaters so it will be nice for us to have these glimpses into their final season together.
    I am excited too (and sad that I don't have W. Hopefully, some kind soul will upload the episodes on Putlocker or soemthing) but I'm also scared because I want them to win sooo badly. Btw whats everyone's thoughts on D/W doing a senior B competition?
    Last edited by parapluies; 07-23-2013 at 09:54 PM.

vCash
    Btw whats everyone's thoughts on D/W doing a senior B competition?
    What can I think - obviously they will be well prepared when bigger competitions come. So I hope that Tessa and Scott will do the same.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lauravvv View Post
    What can I think - obviously they will be well prepared when bigger competitions come. So I hope that Tessa and Scott will do the same.
    D/W never do senior B's though. Its odd for them when was the last time D/W did a senior B?

vCash
    D/W never do senior B's though. Its odd for them when was the last time D/W did a senior B?
    Nebelhorn 2009 (to kick off the Olympic season).

P.S. I think that Tessa and Scott being willing to share glimpses into their lives during this Olympic season in a TV documentary series is a nice gift to their fans.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 07-23-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    In 2009, before the last Olympics.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    Nebelhorn 2009 (to kick off the Olympic season).

P.S. I think that Tessa and Scott being willing to share glimpses into their lives during this Olympic season in a TV documentary series is a nice gift to their fans.
    That was a looong time ago.

YEAH!
    vCash
    It's an Igor/Marina thing. B&A did Nebelhorn in 2005, D&W in 2009, V&M did Thornhill in 2009, and now D&W doing this senior B. Hoping V&M will follow suit. It's a strategy to get the programs out there early and get the feedback just in case you end up missing one of your other events (which ended up happening to B&A).

vCash
    Yes, but I think "before Olympics" is the key phrase - they want to be extra prepared, and, as Cherub721 wrote, show their programs early, so as to avoid any (minor, or otherwise) problems later.

vCash
    Going down the list of what they could choose to focus on for this documentary is making me nervous. I guess we're gonna have to wait until finlandia to see if they've decided to do early competitions, but finlandia is not even far from the start of the GPs so it's not really an early competition. BTW where has Pani been? She's missing out on all these developments.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

vCash
    Is it 30 min per episode or 30 min the whole short series?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    It's an Igor/Marina thing. B&A did Nebelhorn in 2005, D&W in 2009, V&M did Thornhill in 2009, and now D&W doing this senior B. Hoping V&M will follow suit. It's a strategy to get the programs out there early and get the feedback just in case you end up missing one of your other events (which ended up happening to B&A).
    Ah. But I didn't think D/W would do a senior B since they're world champions. Also V/M did Thornhill in 2009? How come that doesn't say on their wikipedia page?

vCash
    Is it 30 min per episode or 30 min the whole short series?
    This is not a web series. W is a Canadian female-centric tv network, like Lifetime in the US. I can't even think of a tv series where an episode is less than 30 minutes.

Tessa is not the only female athlete taken to task for some risque photographs:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...s-cost-her-job

Shortly after Agnieszka Radwanska dropped her clothes for ESPN The Magazine's Body Issue, the world's fourth-ranked tennis player found herself dropped by a church group in Poland.

A Catholic organization known as Krucjata Mlodych (Youth Crusade) has ended its relationship with Radwanska, who is a devout Catholic and was an ambassador for the group, in the wake of the release of the 24-year-old's nude photos. While the images were not explicit, they caused quite an uproar in Radwanska's native Poland.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    This is not a web series. W is a Canadian female-centric tv network, like Lifetime in the US. I can't even think of a tv series where an episode is less than 30 minutes.

Tessa is not the only female athlete taken to task for some risque photographs:

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/dish...s-cost-her-job
    Thanks. So I assume each episode lasts 30 minutes.

Radwanska's picture wasn't even racy or sexual in any way. Some say she did it to get back at her dad, who verbally abused her and her sister Urszula for years. Funny how John Isner, a fellow tennis player, also posed yet it's Aga the one who's being singled out. Bet the same happens with Tessa. I saw other male athletes in that photo shoot, some even more suggestive than Tessa's and the rest of the ladies. But, oh well, this is the world we still live in.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Shayii View Post
    There's over twenty comments and at least half of them are complaining and saying it should be in playboy. I want to say people are just being prudes, but I'm very surprised the photo spread is garnering those comments. Whatever, I think the pictures are amazing.
    Most of the pictures of the female athletes are sexualized in terms of their poses/positions, not lack of clothing. I don't like that and it's not because I'm a prude, its because there is far too much objectification of women's body. I don't think it was either necessary or appropriate.

I read through the comments on the FB page and someone posted a link to an article about the normalization of sexualized images of women. My issue with this is that many people completely dismiss women's agency with respect to their sexuality and how it is presented and performed. I really like the sportsnet pics (though i found it curious that they placed Tessa on a bike given that she does not know how to bicycle, iirc) because Tessa is in complete control of her body. She is not simply an object positioned for the male gaze. She is engaged and having fun. I really like the whole set of photos (for all the athletes) as there is diversity among the body types and kinds of poses and expressions and one of the women featured is 40 years old. This isn't merely an exercise of fitting these athletes into some cookie-cutter version of what is sexy or aesthetically pleasing.
    To me, she and many of the other women are obviously being positioned for the male gaze. Their poses aren't natural and don't speak to women's agency with respect to their sexuality.

vCash
    I apologize for questioning how other people feel about the pictures. Personally, the pictures don't bother me, but that's me and others can have their own opinion.
    "They’re everything in a team that we strive to be...they are to me the quintessential ice dance team of our time."~Kaitlyn Weaver

Page 15 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast