vCash

Skaters who medalled at the Olympics before ever medaling at Worlds

How many of these are there? First ones who pop into my mind are:

Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze 1998
    Timothy Goebel 2002
    and Davis/White 2010

Who else?

Also, how easy/hard do you think this is? I would imagine it's easier under CoP than 6.0, but still it doesn't happen all that often.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, I was just curious who I might be missing.

vCash
    No, it hasn't been discussed. Thanks for bringing this up.

Possible candidates that I can think of (I will need to look up the specific info but may be someone already knows the answers)

Viktor Petrenko won the 88 Olympic bronze without having a prior world medal.

I wonder if Philip Candeloro would fall in this group? I don't remember him winning a world medal prior to the 1994 Olympics. I don't remember if Alexei Urmanov won a world medal before his OGM in 94?

I also wonder about Liz Manley. Did she win a world medal before her 88 Olympics silver?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I wonder if Philip Candeloro would fall in this group? I don't remember him winning a world medal prior to the 1994 Olympics. I don't remember if Alexei Urmanov won a world medal before his OGM in 94?

I also wonder about Liz Manley. Did she win a world medal before her 88 Olympics silver?
    Candeloro and Manley do fall in this group, but Urmanov won a bronze at Worlds the year before.

vCash
    (too lazy this morning to look up skatabase)

What about Jill Watson & Peter Oppegard in 88 Oly? Did they win a world medal before that?

I am also wondering about Klimova-Ponomarenko's bronze at the 84 Oly.

Anissina-Peizerat at 98 Oly (bronze)- another possible example

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mia joy View Post
    Also, how easy/hard do you think this is? I would imagine it's easier under CoP than 6.0, but still it doesn't happen all that often.

Please forgive me if this has already been discussed, I was just curious who I might be missing.
    It's not that common, but there have been a decent number of skaters who reached the level where they were world podium material during an Olympic season, medaled at the Olympics, and then went to Worlds soon after and got their first Worlds medal there.

As for 6.0 vs. COP, I'll do a detailed examination later, but the examples I can think of happened under 6.0, so I'm not so sure about the assumption that it is "easier" to do it under COP. (I understand why one would think that though.) Of course, we haven't had very many Olympics since the time that the COP was introduced, so a real comparison probably isn't possible yet.
    Last edited by Ilyich; 09-14-2013 at 06:27 PM.

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    Eva Pawlik (OSM in 1948, World silver in 1948)
    Tenley Albright (OSM in 1952, World gold in 1953)
    Barbara Roles (OBM in 1960, World bronze in 1960)
    Petra Burka (OBM in 1964, World bronze in 1964)
    Janet Lynn (OBM in 1972, World bronze in 1972)
    Kira Ivanova (OBM in 1984, World silver in 1985)
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Tim Wood got his Olympic silver in Grenoble a few weeks before he got his first medal at Worlds (also a silver), so there's another one.

vCash
    France's Patrick Pera, Bronze medalist in Grenoble (1968) won his 1st World medal the same year. But I guess Worlds were held after the Olympics (but not sure !)

En el trabajo en mi obra maestra, "Bodegón de rosas, las toronjas y el Planetario", que se llevará algún tiempo.
    vCash
    I neglected to include Jeannette Altwegg (OBM in 1948, World bronze in 1949).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    France's Patrick Pera, Bronze medalist in Grenoble (1968) won his 1st World medal the same year. But I guess Worlds were held after the Olympics (but not sure !)
    From 1948 on, they always were. I'm not sure about Worlds and Olympics before WWII. ETA: 1908 is the only year in which Worlds preceded the Olympics, as figure skating was part of the Summer Games that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    (too lazy this morning to look up skatabase)

What about Jill Watson & Peter Oppegard in 88 Oly? Did they win a world medal before that?

I am also wondering about Klimova-Ponomarenko's bronze at the 84 Oly.

Anissina-Peizerat at 98 Oly (bronze)- another possible example
    W&O were 3rd at the 1987 Worlds

K&P medalled at the Olympics before medalling at Worlds (incidentally, they didn't medal at worlds until the following season)

A&P are another example, they placed 3rd at the Olympics and medaled at a few months later.