Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Here is a Globe and Mail article - Patrick Chan honours late coach by returning to ‘greatest hits':

http://tinyurl.com/ko2uvhc

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    2 more articles:

http://www.icenetwork.com/news/artic...&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:
    "The program is kind of my 'greatest hits,' because there are little reminders of my Vivaldi [program] from ['06 through] '08, and little reminders of my programs with Mr. Colson, what he had me do when I skated with him," Chan, 22, said after debuting the free skate at Sunday's Thornhill Summer Competition in Ontario.

"Mr. Colson" was Osborne Colson, the revered coach who trained Chan until his death in 2006, at age 90. The skater credits Colson's insistence on daily stroking and edging drills with his fine basic skating skills, generally considered among the best in the world.

"I've had a lot of success with Vivaldi, and I've wanted to go back to it," Chan said. "The last time I skated that program I knew [I would] do it again for the Olympics after Vancouver."

"That was the last program also before Mr. Colson passed away, so this is kind of coming back to that," he continued. "I'm not trying to push the envelope; this is not the season to try to do that. This is the season to go back to what is comfortable and what makes you happy, what makes you enjoy skating and what makes you skate the best."
    Despite the missed jumps, Chan deemed the debut a success.

"I've worked many, many hours just doing sections, piecing it together, like a puzzle," he said. "I was training it really well in Detroit, getting both quads and the Axel and the middle section done, but competition brings out all of the things you need to work on even more. I thought I was trained, and I was trained. I just need to keep getting more miles on this program."
    Beverley Smith's article for the Skate Canada site: http://www.skatecanada.ca/AboutUs/Ne...S/Default.aspx
    Excerpt:
    He packed his bags in Colorado Springs and moved to Detroit over the summer. He and his coach, Kathy Johnson, formed a little caravan of two cars, both packed to the brim, his bicycle perched atop a roof, chugging across the U.S. Midwest plains. He finished unpacking it all only in mid-August. Chan and Johnson made a vacation out of the trip, breaking up what would normally be a two-day journey by stopping in Kansas City and Chicago on the way. It’s a new beginning for Chan, skating out of the Detroit Skating Club.
    In Detroit, he’s at peace and he feels free. He trains alongside former U.S. champions Jeremy Abbott and Alissa Czisny and Canadian teammate Elladj Balde. “We all get along tremendously well,” Chan said. “We are all there for each other. You can tell. All of us are improving together.

“We all push ourselves. And I’ve never laughed so much on sessions with Elladj.” They go to dinner together and play video games. Chan loves classic and muscle cars and he’s moved to the right city for that.

Chan has never competed so early and he’s never had his quads down pat so soon in the season. “It’s all coming together,” he said. “I’m seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.” He feels a responsibility, of perhaps being the first Canadian man to win an Olympic gold medal.
    (My nitpick: Actually, Chan has competed earlier before - several times at Liberty in July.)
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Chan's first day back in the gym and maybe also back in Detroit was 10 July and maybe just 35 days between then and Thornhill were nor enough for him to build up the strength and endurance that are required for a program as complex as this new Four Seasons? Just a thought. If the only key to building up endurance were a place like Colorado Springs, I'm guessing all the skaters training in Detroit would have to leave DSC and run to the mountains?

Quote Originally Posted by The Accordion View Post
    1/ He seems to be quite a bit thinner and not in good condition- his face is super angular and his upper body is quite a bit smaller
    And I thought to myself Chan has bulked up quite a bit lately when I saw this picture of him they took in Detroit like a month ago.

http://instagram.com/p/blwTUjx124/

2/ The interaction / body language between him and Kathy Johnson is troubling to me. Maybe it is just that he is ticked off in general but he seems to be rolling his eyes as she talks non-stop and it looks like he would rather be anywhere rather than there listening to her. He doesn't seem to say anything for a really long time.
    Sometimes things aren't by far as bad as they look.

I am really not worried for Patrick's stamina or his jumps other than the 3A. Btw, I noticed he moved this jump back to the first half of his program.

Thanks everyone for the links to articles.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Accordion
    There are 2 things that worry me -
    1/ He seems to be quite a bit thinner and not in good condition- his face is super angular and his upper body is quite a bit smaller and he seems to be unbelievably exhausted at the end - so exhausted that more than 2 minutes after the program is over he still seems to be leaning over to try to get enough oxygen. That may be the lack of training at altitude - but I don't remember seeing him like that before he began training in Colorado. But I thought he looked tired even before he began the program.
    2/ The interaction / body language between him and Kathy Johnson is troubling to me. Maybe it is just that he is ticked off in general but he seems to be rolling his eyes as she talks non-stop and it looks like he would rather be anywhere rather than there listening to her. He doesn't seem to say anything for a really long time.
    Accordion, I share your concern when I saw that he looked so very tired after the skate. But then, VarBar has a point. He has only 35 days of training in Detroit assuming he returned there in July and also his training may be disrupted by the local competition held recently in Detroit. I also think he probably has to travel to Toronto to learn his new LP from Wilson so he probably won't be training that full 35 days.

Although Colorado Spring's altitude training is good for him, again I see VarBar's logic that there are more ways of building one's stamina. I hope he trains well to build his stamina too because his lp is a very vigorous demanding program.

Emdee attended the competition. According to her, she didn't think Patrick was rolling his eyes at Kathy. It was thought that Patrick looked 'angry with himself' rather than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by VarBar
    And I thought to myself Chan has bulked up quite a bit lately when I saw this picture of him they took in Detroit like a month ago.
    http://instagram.com/p/blwTUjx124/
    Me too esp. his upper body ...

I am really not worried for Patrick's stamina or his jumps other than the 3A.
    I think he has a higher success rate in his quads than 3A!

Btw, I noticed he moved this jump back to the first half of his program.
    Yes, I think it is best to do what one feels most comfortable. He has tried both ways and now know that the former suits him better.

A pix of Patrick taken by the daughter of a Patrick's fan. The caption was: Spent Sunday afternoon in the cold waiting for mum's idol!
    Last edited by spikydurian; 08-22-2013 at 12:12 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Skating is Language
    vCash
    Here is another fancam at 2013 COS (Central Ontario Summer Skate).

Patrick Chan FS "The Four Seasons" http://youtu.be/nY2dWn_PCTY

8/18/2013 COS
    "Skating is Language"

spiral9509.tistory.com

vCash
    Thank you very much spiral. I watched it again from different angle. Wasn't perfect and some parts need working on but on the whole, can't wait to see when all is in place.

vCash
    Gah, thanks for the new link. It's great to watch it from different angles. I particularly love the move from about 2:13 - 2:16 in this new video. He did it on the 6 minute warm up and I went 'whoa!'. I also didn't think he looked any thinner than usual. I am not worried at all, it's early times. It is going to be a stunning free skate!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Accordion, I share your concern when I saw that he looked so very tired after the skate. But then, VarBar has a point.
    I don't think my arguments sounded convincing to The Accordion.

Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Thank you very much spiral. I watched it again from different angle. Wasn't perfect and some parts need working on but on the whole, can't wait to see when all is in place.
    With the quality of body movement and quality of skating - speed, power, flow, ease and edge control - Chan already displayed at Thornhill, half of the job is done for him. I was so blown away by this program when I first watched the official video that I almost didn't notice his jumps. I'd watch Four Seasons over and over without getting tired. Never felt like that about La bohème. I agree with Patrick, La bohème wasn't him. Saw his 6 min warm-up and all the jumps were there. Not the best quality on the 3A but he landed it on one foot and the jump was huge. I think confidence is what he needs but unfortunately confidence is much more difficult to build than stamina. Hopefully he'll find a way coz he has everything else. Go Patrick.

vCash
    [QUOTE=VarBar;3979854]I don't think my arguments sounded convincing to The Accordion.

I'm not sure why you'd say that when I haven't responded in any way?

I don't have a lot more to say so I am just reading everyone's opinions right now, taking it all in, and waiting to see what happens next.

I don't want to overanalyze one outing - early into Chan's preparations for this season and with very little mileage on this program. As I mentioned before - I am very rarely a doom and gloom person and I will love it if you are right and I am overreacting. I have just never seen him look that way after skating - he is usually the first one to say "it's just skating" and laugh something off - even when that might not be how he actually feels.

On the subject of his weight - Luckiest saw him live and says he doesn't look thinner so perhaps it is a camera thing but IMO his face shape has a significantly more angular look when you compare it to the end of last season. Perhaps you are right and it is just a this time of the season thing - I didn't notice it at Japan Open last season- but that was later as well.

vCash
    I do remember that when Patrick came out, I remarked to my companion that he looked older. He did not appear to be thinner over all, but his face looked more angular as you say. However the lighting in the arena was deadly, really deadly, and drained colour from everyone, even those in the seats. (The lights also had the most annoying buzz. ) And no, I have not seen him so frustrated, tense - whatever it was, either. Nevertheless the programme is gorgeous, He was really flying - just flying- in the first section. And I was enormously cheered by the Globe and Mail video of the media scrum. He looked and sounded just fine, and it could only have been filmed a few moments after he left the ice. Overall, I would say that Patrick seemed absolutely determined to get down to serious business, and work like the devil to have a great season. I have faith.

vCash
    There is video of the media scrum? Link?

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    The video is linked from the G&M article in post #121: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...ticle13838086/
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Thanks, don't know how I missed that the first time around!

vCash
    Perhaps Patrick's "leaner" face is simply his face maturing?
    Crazy about sports!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Perhaps Patrick's "leaner" face is simply his face maturing?
    I like your sense of humour, ProfDeb! Anyway, he is no longer sweet 17!
    And I am sure having a difficult time last season would have made him grown up a lot too.

Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    Overall, I would say that Patrick seemed absolutely determined to get down to serious business, and work like the devil to have a great season. I have faith.
    That is my impression too Corianna. Listening to him on how he's 'trying to put the pieces together', I get the impression that he and his team are working hard to get his LP into a form he wanted - what he is comfortable with and what moved him. And I agree that unless you love the program, it cannot be part of you and you cannot be part of it. The first 2-3 minutes of the program is brilliant. Like you said Corianna, he was flying from one end to the other seamlessly. It is the last minute or so which I think needs to be tidied. I am not worried about his program. It is there but just not in the final form.

Last season, I got the impression that he was going through a really rough and emotional time. Now, I get the impression that he has finally found his inner motivation to do what he needs to do. He sounded happy that the season he has waited for the past few years is finally here.

vCash
    The music is certainly a challenge to skate to as it has a great dynamic contrast (volume-wise) and delivers a visceral impact when dynamically greater at a faster tempo.

Chan’s motions and movements over the dynamically stronger sections are well amplified, but I am not sure if they are properly done in terms of “power” to match the level of contrast in the music, especially in the winter section toward the end.

I certainly can see that Chan wants to maintain grace through out the program. And, it is possible to be of grace and power at the same time. I just think that he can use a bit more power for the dynamically stronger parts even if that means sacrificing grace and elegance a bit.

Maybe, it is Wilson or stamina, I don’t know. I guess it can be just a matter of taste since I tend to think that Chan sometimes is trying too hard looking elegant, and I don't blame him since there seems to be a tendency to overemphasize beauty, elegance, grace, etc. in figure skating.

I am sure that my nit-pick is not going to make a difference point-wise. Chan is one of very few who can perform a masterpiece superior in overall athleticism, technique and artistry. I hope he goes out leaving a truly great program this season which I personally think is more important than the color of medal in Sochi.

vCash
    All this criticism for a new program's first outing?
    Let's watch it "mature", please: just as Patrick has!

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spiral9509 View Post
    Here is another fancam at 2013 COS (Central Ontario Summer Skate).

Patrick Chan FS "The Four Seasons" http://youtu.be/nY2dWn_PCTY

8/18/2013 COS
    Thank you so much for sharing the video. I definitely like the program and Patrick's choice of music. It suits him well. I can't wait for this season to begin!
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    I'm not sure why you'd say that when I haven't responded in any way?
    Just a feeling that I had, The Accordion.

Quote Originally Posted by key65man View Post
    The music is certainly a challenge to skate to as it has a great dynamic contrast (volume-wise) and delivers a visceral impact when dynamically greater at a faster tempo.

Chan’s motions and movements over the dynamically stronger sections are well amplified, but I am not sure if they are properly done in terms of “power” to match the level of contrast in the music, especially in the winter section toward the end.

I certainly can see that Chan wants to maintain grace through out the program. And, it is possible to be of grace and power at the same time. I just think that he can use a bit more power for the dynamically stronger parts even if that means sacrificing grace and elegance a bit.

Maybe, it is Wilson or stamina, I don’t know. I guess it can be just a matter of taste since I tend to think that Chan sometimes is trying too hard looking elegant, and I don't blame him since there seems to be a tendency to overemphasize beauty, elegance, grace, etc. in figure skating.

I am sure that my nit-pick is not going to make a difference point-wise. Chan is one of very few who can perform a masterpiece superior in overall athleticism, technique and artistry. I hope he goes out leaving a truly great program this season which I personally think is more important than the color of medal in Sochi.
    Fair enough, key65man. I think I can agree with most of your points. But as skatesindreams said, it was Chan's first showing and it was just mid-August. Hopefully hard training and a larger rink than the hockey rink he skated at in Thornhill will enable him to put more power into his performance. Also, I would expect his competition costume to be ready by his next event.

vCash
    I have no doubt the power will be forthcoming, I have to confess I kinda hope the costume won't be. I like him in the simple loose shirt ( it was the one he wore for the exhibition when what is now his short was his ex. I'm not so fond of the fussy and distracting.

Page 7 of 51 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast