Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Spiky, we were all wishing you could have been there. I wear the orange jacket so my sweetee can find me in a crowd lol.
    clarie, me too. I wish I was there to share the cheers and nervousness. clarie, the last time you told Coriana and Emdee to look for a lady in orange jacket, I was told they were confused as they saw many ladies in orange jackets. I am not sure how your sweetee managed to seek you out among the crowd ... ahha.. that special sixth sense?

Quote Originally Posted by luckiest
    Liam is like the love child of Elvis Stojko (facial similarities) and Patrick Chan (skating similarities). I am thrilled for him to get this experience, because I think he has a bright future.
    Gosh... I just imagined Elvis skating like Patrick! Man, that would be briliant! I think Liam is better looking than Elvis (psst... don't tell Elvis). Yes, he does skate and move like Patrick after watching rvi's vids. His jumps are strong (except 3A) too. Happy to know there are a few very gifted skaters waiting in the wings.

Someone painted her nails in Patrick's LP costume's colour and design. I thought that was brilliant so sharing with you all.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Liam is like a very young Patrick - though I believe he is but two years younger than Patrick. I think he will be a successor to PC though maybe Kev will hang in for a couple of championships. Of course my 'baby' Roman is there in the wings but alas I have to wait for him to grow up a bit!
    I feel in love with Liam this week-end. Let's hope that he gets that 3A down.

How are Roman's skating skills?

vCash
    I just read an article in the "Retirements" thread on main that gives me hope for Patrick continuing on after Olympics. I can't tell you how many times I teared up on the weekend, thinking it might be the last time I saw him skate in a competitive environment.

http://games.postmedia.com/news/king...rules-the-land

ETA: Roman's skating skills are superb. He is definitely a contender for "the next one".

vCash
    Thanks for posting, Luckiest, You've made my morning.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post

Someone painted her nails in Patrick's LP costume's colour and design. I thought that was brilliant so sharing with you all.
    Wow! And I thought I was a good hockey fan when I painted my nails teal (San Jose Sharks).
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I feel in love with Liam this week-end. Let's hope that he gets that 3A down.

How are Roman's skating skills?
    We gave Roman a standing ovation.... he has a lovely smooth style, nicely flowing with good edges.

vCash
    I know Patrick has talked about not loving the pressure of competing and that may factor in to when he decides to retire, but this weekend I felt he surely must have felt the love from the audience. Even after a not perfect long, he got a very enthusiastic standing O and he had a lot of positive focus on him going forward to the Olympics. Not too many things in life give you that kind of adulation - hopefully that helps balance out the criticisms. He is loved and admired by the Canadian skating community and fans and that was very evident over the weekend.
    pug lover

vCash
    Not just by Canadian fans.... Spiky loves him all the way in Australia and Ali_Dorate from Japan.....

vCash
    There were several Japanese fans near me- a couple of whom were in tears at his Steppin' Out.

vCash
    OMG yes, when Corianna and I went over to the alternate arena for that practice session, a Japanese girl beside me was just overcome with tears at the end of his run through. It was so cool, because even without language we could communicate our appreciation for his amazing skating skills.

I do think it's going to depend on how Sochi goes, as to his decision on whether or not to remain amateur. And his decision will most likely play a large factor in whether or not I continue to attend live events.....unless they are in London, of course.

vCash
    I admit that I am not Patrick's fan but if he wins the OGM, I think I will be quite happy. He is clearly the best male skater right now. I don't see anyone coming close. The only person that can beat him is himself.

vCash
    Relax, I am sure that he has moved on. He tends to peak at Nationals, so I think that last night skate was a good sign. Tracy Wilson said that he has been having difficulty skating in a North American size rink. That could have been part of the problem.
    I hope I don't sound like a in my posts because I promise I am not a drama queen or a panicky person for that matter. lolol I would have just liked for Patrick to skate really well in front of his own crowd, especially in the short program, because I thought that since Nationals was his last competition before Sochi, two solid skates would have boosted his confidence and he would be carrying the momentum with him to the Olympics.

Just finished watching his performances from Nationals and got to say this man has everything: elegant and refined presentation, skating skills to die for, lovely choreographies - Elegy is such a musical program - jumps, spins, steps, everything is top quality. He just needs the mental strength to deliver the goods. I totally agree with Vash01 re the only person who can beat him is himself.

I feel in love with Liam this week-end.
    Me too. I have to admit I wanted Jeremy Ten to make the team but now I am glad that Firus did. Liam has this uncomplicated style that appeals to me and his basics do remind me of Patrick. Tons of speed, he really fills the ice with his skates. I wasn't surprised he beat everyone but Chiddy on the second mark although other skaters had more technically demanding programs. Maybe he'll get to learn the quad by next season so that he can be more competitive internationally.

This is a really nice new costume for Chan's Steppin' Out number, much better than the tails he wore before.

https://s1.yimg.com/sr/img/1/a562f10...4-21e1b679e480

Btw, how was his exhibition performance at Canadians? Be a spoiler please.

vCash
    I guess I'm alone here, but I couldn't warm to Firus at all, perhaps it's because I hate that music - I didn't like it when Orser skated to it.

vCash
    Patrick's exhibition was divine, no falls - and he seemed so happy through the press conferences and the announcing of the Olympic team. I wondered if the fact it was an NHL size rink and not Olympic that caused the problem with the second quad. The combination was so huge and beautiful and then he was down at the other end with not much room to put in a second one. He landed all his jumps in the warm up for both programs, including beautiful triple axels. I think he is as ready as he can be. All the very best, Patrick!!
    pug lover

vCash
    I've downloaded the SP, thanks to rvi5. I'm waiting for the LP and hopefully the exhibition programme, if rvi5 has it as well. Good to hear that Patrick's spirit was high, hopefully the burden of striving to be the first Canadian men to win the OGM wouldn't hinder his performance at the Olympics.

I agree Liam Firus' skating has some similarities to Patrick's and he has great edges, hope he'll nail the 3A and other jumps to be competitive with the others.

vCash
    The LP of the Men's medalists, and Elladj Balde's SP & LP is uploading now. If all goes well, it may take a couple hours to complete.

P.S. According to information mentioned during the competition broadcast, the Gala will not be televised until Jan 25th.

vCash
    ^^^ Thanks rvi5 again for taking the time and trouble to upload the vids for us to watch.

An article about Patrick and his scary coach. I find it hilarious imagining a group of nervous kids peering over the window looking out for that 'crusty old coach in beret welding a walking stick'.

At the Granite Club, there was a sheet of plastic over the window that protected the ice rink and skaters from prying eyes, but Chan could see over it if he stood on tiptoes.

"We would go to the rink, and the first thing we'd all do, all the skaters that took (lessons) from (Colson), we'd all look over with just our eyes to see if he was there," Chan recalled. "Then it'd be like, 'Oh my God. Darn it. He's here.' He was so scary.
    I cannot forget how Dad Chan described Mr Colson as the typical old kungfu master, and how he didn't think his son's relationship with Mr Colson would last more than six months!

vCash
    LOVE this from David Wilson!
    "I said to Patrick, 'You know, you were the skater that we all tried to be for Mr. Colson, but we weren't good enough.' Finally Mr. Colson found someone that was good enough to manifest his vision."

vCash
    Thanks for the link spiky. It just goes to show that superior coaching added to natural talent equals "Patrick"
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    I am bringing an old interview to this thread. I am not sure whether you all read it especially Corianna who joined later. I find this interview insightful into the more sober mind of Patrick. And the part where he talked about visiting Colson's tomb, teared me up.

Not sure whether everyone can view this link since it is dated in 2011. Let me know if you can't.
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...Interview+Chan

EV: You are just about the only skater who manages to perform the hardest jump without skating across the ice rink but from the steps. Whose idea was it to choreograph the programme so unexpectedly?
    PC: My first coach's - Osborne Colson (he died in 2006 aged 90). When I just started skating in his group Colson forbade me doing any jumps for the first 2-3 weeks. He wanted to see what can I do on my legs.
    I was doing various steps, learning the new ones, improved the balance, kept the high speed during the steps, payed alot of attention to the edges, invented new step combinations. I can now say that if it wasn't for mr. Colson I would never find out what can I do with the blade.
    Those trainings were a great base. The older and the more experienced I become, the more coaches and choreographers worked with me - the more solid the base becomes. The jumps are only part of it.

EV: Do you think of your late coach much?
    PC: Before going to Russia I spent a weekend in Toronto. While waiting for the next flight I went to a cemetery where he is buried. I sat there for a while and talked to him. I loved talking to him when he was alive and I remember how he would mumble `A day will come when an Asian skater will become a champion'. He never mentioned my name, but it was easy to guess whom he meant. It's so weird t o recall now. He died 5 years ago, yet all he predicted came true.
    I do think that Colson's belief in Patrick, kept him going for another four years to Sochi.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 01-15-2014 at 12:53 PM.

Page 40 of 51 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast