Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    I was turned off by Patrick and his comment he "let Hanyu win." Also his comments about not winning in Vancouver bc he was skating for his country, where now he skates for himself. Who says such things? You would think he would get some media training
    I don't think he said that with malice. In fact, he said it with a light tone (at least that's how I heard it). He was simply stating how he felt and rightfully so. I think he was saying he was not worried about being 2nd and is far more prepared for Sochi than he was in Vancouver. Good going Patrick!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    I am really enjoying Patrick Chan this season, more so than ever! His two programs this season are without a doubt in my mind the best programs he has ever competed with. I hope he reconsiders retiring after this Olympic season. I believe he can improve even further artistically and deliver more legendary skating performances. It is this season that I can faithfully say that Chan has transformed from a boy to a man. He carries himself differently with more maturity to me and takes ownership of his skating now. This season he made a true fan out of me and I selfishly refuse to see him leave competitive ice. Stay in the game, P.Chiddy!

vCash
    No rethink for Chan after figure skating GP defeat (AFP article by Shigemi Sato):
    Excerpt:
    Asked if he [Chan] considers changing the programme to boost his bid for the first-ever men's singles Olympic figure skating gold medal for Canada, he replied: "No. Not at all."

"I have the formula to success," the 22-year-old Chan said, "and I have the formula to win the Olympics just through putting it together and having it turn out the way I have been training it."

"If you get older and experienced, you learn to appreciate just little things and that for me was skating clean in the long (programme) wherein nobody else did," he said. "So that's a check in my book."

Chan, who finished fifth in his Olympic debut at home at Vancouver 2010, said his choice of the set of Vivaldi's violin concertos was part of a "strategy going into the Olympics".

"When I was a kid, driving to the rink, I heard it on the radio and I always loved it. It always made me happy to hear it. I thought it was a good direction to go into," Chan said, adding that the free result was a "bit of proof of that".

"I didn't necessarily feel 100 percent committed or confident into the long programme but when I heard the music, I just kind of kicked it into gear," he said.

"And I stuffed myself into training mode and competitive mode."
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blondie12 View Post
    I was turned off by Patrick and his comment he "let Hanyu win." Also his comments about not winning in Vancouver bc he was skating for his country, where now he skates for himself. Who says such things? You would think he would get some media training
    Since you posted your complaint here and in the K&C section, I will answer you in the K&C section.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really View Post
    This last bit about Hanyu having room for errors sounds like the same reasoning used in other years regarding Chan when he won competitions with falls. Does this mean Chan has lost 'most favoured status' with the judges?
    The judges have been willing to give Hanyu the win over Chan for some time - that was clear at last year's GPF - he's just made a lot of mistakes most times out.

Don't get me wrong, I am a fan of Chan's skating, but for a few years now, some have said there are just no men out there who can touch him in PCS.
    Team Chan may have been lulled into believing no-one can touch him and in retrospect - especially if things don't go their way at the Olympics - may regret not including a second 3A or having a higher base score.

ETA: I'm not sure that Chan's seeming complacency about losing to Hanyu is a positive. Of course, it could just be saving face, but I would think he should be concerned and/or angry. All he has to do it double the 3A in the SP, and his Olympic dream could be over. The same is true of Asada, but she appears to recognize it.

Yagudin had a similar certainty to Chan going into the 2002 Games. But IIRC he didn't lose a competition that season - barring the Goodwill Games in August or September, which was a wake-up call. And, he was the favourite over Plush.

I think if these guys want to win Olympic gold, they are all going to have to be perfect.
    I agree, but am not sure we can use GP series scores as an indicator of whether Hanyu will beat Chan if both go clean. The judges could very likely be willing to give new record scores at the Olympics, as audiences lap that kind of thing up. A clean Chan SP could easily do it, because it is truly is a masterpiece.
    Last edited by Japanfan; 12-09-2013 at 02:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    That's probably the point some of the fans of Chan were trying to make. If turning just one triple toe into a double toe can make a skater of Patrick's incredible skating skills lose the program to a skater with a fall but who completed more triple jumps than him, I would say, yes, this definitely is a cause for concern because it seems that Chan has no room for error at all whereas Yuzuru obviously does.
    Thing is Hanyu does have a much higher base value on jumps, and when landed, his jumps get very high GOEs (and deservedly so). I don't think his skating is of the same level as Chan but I guess if Takahashi doesn't particularly impress at Nationals, Hanyu will become the one to challenge Chan and will be heavily politiked into PCS in the 9s.

Then again, this isn't something that Chan can worry about. His focus should be on skating clean and inspired, and leave the judges (and Federations) work out the rest.

vCash
    I was shocked at that Hanyu reached already total 290+ points.
    This score range should be allowed by just two skaters, Chan & supreme artist with quads(a perfect Lambiel), IMO. So only Chan among current skaters.
    Hanyu is a brilliant skater and ambitious&frank&humble guy. But I do not like that judges are making an unnatural rivalry.
    Last edited by t.mann; 12-09-2013 at 05:25 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Thing is Hanyu does have a much higher base value on jumps, and when landed, his jumps get very high GOEs (and deservedly so). I don't think his skating is of the same level as Chan but I guess if Takahashi doesn't particularly impress at Nationals, Hanyu will become the one to challenge Chan and will be heavily politiked into PCS in the 9s.

Then again, this isn't something that Chan can worry about. His focus should be on skating clean and inspired, and leave the judges (and Federations) work out the rest.
    Absolutely. Hanyu is an extremely talented skater and he fully deserves every mark he gets. As far as Takahashi, with all due respect for him and his achievements, I can't see him breaking even 90 on TES in the free skate and the Japanese Federation needs a skater who can beat Chan and Hanyu does seem to be the one. In fact, the JF may have already switched loyalties to Yuzuru judging by Yuzuru's PCS at the Grand Prix Final and I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Yuzuru's PCS rise to the mid-nineties by the time of the Olympic Games if he skates well there. With Patrick, well, I'm afraid there's no way his federation could politik for him for the tech panel to pretend they see in his program a much higher base value than he actually has.

vCash
    Meh... the Olympics is probably going to be a splatfest as usual. For all we know Yuzuru will end up finishing 10th. Afterall, a lot of people thought that Oda was going to win in Vancouver.

I'm more concerned about the team event tbh. What if Patrick (or anyone for that matter) skates amazing ~Olympic moment~~ performances in the team event but then isn't able to reach that level of perfection in the individual events? This is my greatest fear.

But honestly Patrick's quote after the GPF of "I'll let Yuzuru win this one and I'll win the Olympics next" was one of my favourite moments from last weekend. He said it in such a simple way and with this quiet confidence - you get the sense that he genuinely believes it. He wasn't saying it in a rude way. He acknowledged that Yuzuru deserved to win here, but Sochi is his goal. It's not even a question of hoping that he can win Olympics, quite simply he just knows that he can do it. And he's making me believe in him too.

Crazy Stalker Lady
    vCash
    Does anyone have a link to this interview?
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

vCash
    I'm curious about that interview as well, since a certain blondie has come in to bash Patrick about it, I would like to watch and decide for myself.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skating678 View Post
    Meh... the Olympics is probably going to be a splatfest as usual. For all we know Yuzuru will end up finishing 10th. Afterall, a lot of people thought that Oda was going to win in Vancouver.
    I know that Oda was one of a number of skaters that were considered as potential medalists but who thought Oda would win the Olympics having never been on a major podium?
    When watching live I like everyone to skate clean - but on television the occasional trainwreck can be fun.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    I'm curious about that interview as well, since a certain blondie has come in to bash Patrick about it, I would like to watch and decide for myself.
    I posted more on the other thread but as I stated, it was more the combo of both points " I let Hanyu win" with the comment " I will win the Olympics" that just sounds cocky. I don't think he was saying it in jest, he was bragging he won many GPF so he would just let Hanyu have this one. Then he ended it by saying he will win the Olympics in a very positive tone. Do we hear Yuna going around saying she will win the Olympics?. This is also not the first time - he made numerous swipes at competitors and past champions in the past, acting like he is better than others. If this were an isolated incident it could be different but it is not.

I don't see any other athlete in any other sport acting with such confidence. Maybe Plushenko at some points but he always too came across as cocky. Or Bode Miller, and look at how both turned out - they did not meet expectations.

It seems an odd thing to say that you would win the Olympics when he just suffered a defeat where he was beaten by someone who fell. Personally, I think He was a little take aback that someone finally beat him when he had a decent skate. He is use to only being beaten if he falls. Those days have changed.

People can defend what Patrick acts like this but this is not the first time. If he acts like this at the Olympics, he will turn the casual fan off - and sponsors w it, just like Nancy Kerrigan did with her disney comments. No one likes a braggart or a sore loser. Hanyu said some very gracious comments toward Chan this week - together w his back story on the tsunami, casual fans I think will root more for him or some of the other men as opposed to someone who acts like Chan does.

We will see in 2 months now whether he can skate clean and beat the other men. If He has 2 clean programs he will probably get it, but Hanyu will really put some pressure on him bc he has been the first to really beat Patrick skating well.

And if Patrick skates like he did at last years worlds - well, all bets are off. Dai, Ten, Javiar, Hanyu, Plushenko, etc could all overtake him if he does not skate two clean programs.

One of the reasons Michelle endowed herself into everyone's hearts was her attitude, even in the face of defeat. Sometimes that matters more than medals.
    Last edited by Blondie12; 12-10-2013 at 05:12 AM.

vCash
    On to ignore you go. You don't seem capable of understanding what Emdee already said - this is an Uber thread.

vCash
    My fault. I did mention her name in my post, even though I expected to be provided a link to the interview instead of given another bashfest.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    Blonde please read the title ....this is a UBER thread. If Patrick turns you off there are numerous haters thread or you.....
    I am not a Patrick hater, I think he is legitimately the number 1 guy going into Sochi and it is his to lose. If people really want patrick to succeed they would recognize his faults too rather than just pat patrick on the back as if he has no faults. I don't think there is anything wrong in saying that the sound bites posted by Patrick on TV are going to turn the casual fan off and that will limit his potential to reap some of the benefits he could gain from Olympic gold. If people looked at things objectively rather than as a Patrick über fan they would care enough to want Patrick to be the very best - on and off the ice - and accept how his numerous gaffes - and this is far from the first one - are a real shame. Maybe he does not mean to come across that way, maybe he gets frustrated with his own performance, and says these things in the heat of the moment. But I am far from the first person to criticize Patrick for his media skills- he even had media training in response to past gaffers. He needs it again bc his comments do not come across well and his comments putting down the GPF almost and saying he will win the Olympics come across as arrogant, especially to someone who just may see the sound bite and know nothing about Patrick - which is 95% of the Olympic audience.

Wow, does anyone who dare criticize patrick a hater?

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    My fault. I did mention her name in my post, even though I expected to be provided a link to the interview instead of given another bashfest.
    I missed your earlier post, I did not realize that there are some threads where people just want to talk about how great Patrick is.

I have no idea how to post the interview. There is discussion on this on the golden skate forum if you read that too and they provide a link on there. I would encourage people to look at it objectively on how a casual viewer knowing nothing about Patrick would view his comments. Also there were other comments made during the broadcast about how he wants to skate for himself this time not his country. Maybe that is not what he intended, but such comments make him just look conceited to the casual viewer who knows nothing about him. I don't think he realizes how these sound bites are being used to craft this image of him that is not entirely positive

Wow, I just never knew people were so sensitive about Patrick...

vCash
    Blondie, we got your opinion, thank you; but skating678 offered another perspective, so how come only yours is valid but others are not? Just as Emdee said, there are many other threads to criticize Patrick, since it is obvious you have already done so extensively in other threads, can we please have this safe place for us Patrick fans? Is it too much to ask?

ETA: Goldenskate, haha, the greatest bashing place of Patrick Chan, of course you would enjoy it.

Awaiting Validation
    vCash
    Blondie, we got your opinion, thank you; but skating678 offered another perspective, so how come only yours is valid but others are not? Just as Emdee said, there are many other threads to criticize Patrick, since it is obvious you have already done so extensively in other threads, can we please have this safe place for us Patrick fans? Is it too much to ask?

ETA: Goldenskate, haha, the greatest bashing place of Patrick Chan, of course you would enjoy it.
    I like Patrick, I think he is a wonderful skater and I don't think he means to come across as he does. I also never said my perspective was the only perspective or the only valid perspective. Some people, especially if you know patrick and think he is joking, may view if differently and i would never tell anyone not to post on a thread bc i had a different opinion than them. I personally don't think he meant to sound the way some people viewed him as coming across, as I was only pointing out that if you looked at it objectively and in a way people having no idea who patrick is might, casual voters seeing that snippet may very well be turned off. I obviously hit a nerve w Über Patrick fans bc otherwise people would not even care. Last I checked, people are free to comment on whatever forum they want and I always choose to respond to other posters in a respectful manner. Just because someone criticizes something Patrick says or does does not mean that they are not a fan or they are a Patrick hater.
    Last edited by Blondie12; 12-10-2013 at 06:17 AM.

vCash
    Blondie, fan thread are for fans. Stay out of here. I will take you full on in K&C again.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 12-10-2013 at 06:23 AM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

Page 31 of 51 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast