Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    Commentators have been expressing surprise at Patrick's low key reaction... what I saw was relief. That's what I'm feeling too. Finally! We've been waiting for this since the perfect skate in both short and free at the 2011 Nationals.
    Yes, this is the Patrick we know and love and somewhere he lost it last year, yet he fought and still came out on top. I am so relieved to have him back. I don't know what went on in Colorado last year, but it surely wasn't good. I get the impression he goes out there knowing what he is going to do this year, not hoping. He mentioned a while back in an interview that that was how he used to feel before he skated. I am so glad he found it again. I am so excited to be able to see these programs live in January in Ottawa!

vCash
    Patrick seems, at his core, a light-hearted, social fellow. It is wonderful to see him laughing and joking with skating friends from the rink on little video clips. No matter how you look at it, he has a ton of pressure on him - his own and a nation's. I am sure he is more then well aware that outstanding Canadian male skaters have not fared well at the Olympics. To me - if he breaks that streak - that will be his most important record breaking achievement. A supportive, relaxed, comfortable training atmosphere will be a huge plus. It seems that is what he now has and it couldn't come at a better time.
    pug lover

vCash
    What an awesome skate. Hs talent is so astounding & this Vivaldi piece is so him allowing him to showcase his speed & footwork.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    Yes, this is the Patrick we know and love and somewhere he lost it last year, yet he fought and still came out on top. I am so relieved to have him back. I don't know what went on in Colorado last year, but it surely wasn't good. I get the impression he goes out there knowing what he is going to do this year, not hoping. He mentioned a while back in an interview that that was how he used to feel before he skated. I am so glad he found it again. I am so excited to be able to see these programs live in January in Ottawa!
    We'll have to make plans for a really special meet up! If one of us wins a lottery, we can bring Spikey.

vCash
    With all due respect to his mother, I think the break with her is an important factor in his new outlook. I was appalled when I read about his home life while training in Florida pre 2010 (he, his mother and a motel room). It seemed as though he had no outside life to speak of. I suspect that training with Christy Krall in Colorado was very much in the same mode. He's grown up and is making his own decisions now. And it's working.

vCash
    Just wanted to say that although it would have been wonderful if Patrick had had these magical skates at home in Skate Canada it would have been awesome, but I for one am glad it happened at TEB where the broadcaster earns gold stars from me. The skaters whole bodies were shown throughout their performances with none of those annoying close-ups of facial expressions or feet only. Also for the most part kept centered on the screen whether they were darting left or right, jumping up to the sky, or spinning down low to the ice. For me this was a match made in heaven and really showcased Patrick's divine performances to their magical best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    I read in the past that Patrick could do 4F easily or something?

I think he may add another 3A for the long if his 3A becomes more consistance
    Patrick and Kathy did mention that he was practicing the 4F but none of them ever said he could do this jump easily. Maybe Patrick would be more advanced now in mastering new quads if his training in Colorado had gone smoothly but I understood from his statements that he would have had some issues there to the point of making him even skip training sessions and finally relocate.

Anyway, I've seen a different Patrick this season and I'm thinking perhaps taking responsibility over his training and his life off the ice is exactly what he needed to keep him interested in what he's doing on the ice.

ETA: blueglass, you spoke for me.

vCash
    I think last season was a rough one due to departure with Krall. I'm glad it's all behind him now.

So are we sure that this is Patrick's last season? I know that many skaters retire at their peak. But I think Patrick can still stay for a couple of years and can still win. A couple more Worlds for record's sake?

vCash
    I am so happy for Patrick, two amazing programmes. Now will all the nay-sayers and haters please leave him in peace! He is a truly remarkable young man.

vCash
    I too am a bit concerned that Patrick may be peaking too soon. I hope there is someone knowledgeable who can help him pace himself properly - don't think Johnson can do that.

However, Yagudin dominated the 2001-2002 season (after a disastrous showing at the Goodwill Games). He was on a mission, and accomplished it. Perhaps Patrick can do the same.

And even more importantly, he has to stay injury-free.

I know nothing about how athletes train to peak, but it would seem that pacing would be key. Maybe Patrick plans to slow down a bit on the training after GPF, take a bit of rest over Christmas, then pick up the intensity again after Nationals.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    I too am a bit concerned that Patrick may be peaking too soon. I hope there is someone knowledgeable who can help him pace himself properly - don't think Johnson can do that.

However, Yagudin dominated the 2001-2002 season (after a disastrous showing at the Goodwill Games). He was on a mission, and accomplished it. Perhaps Patrick can do the same.

And even more importantly, he has to stay injury-free.

I know nothing about how athletes train to peak, but it would seem that pacing would be key. Maybe Patrick plans to slow down a bit on the training after GPF, take a bit of rest over Christmas, then pick up the intensity again after Nationals.
    He usually takes time around his birthday off. So likely he will go somewhere warm with Tess.

vCash
    I saw someone posted Sonia Bianchetti's review about another skater after TEB on another board, so I did a search and found hers on Patrick's performances at TEB, if anyone is interested, here's what she said:

Patrick Chan, three-time world champion, placed first both in the short and the free program. Skating to the "Four Seasons" by Vivaldi and a section from Arcangelo Corelli's "Concerto Grosso", he performed a flawless and gorgeous free program, the best I have seen by far in recent years. Technically, he was outstanding. He opened with a super quad toe loop/triple toe loop combination, followed by another great quad toe loop and six more triple jumps and jump combinations, plus very well executed and attractive spins. But even more fantastic and breathtaking were both the step sequences, through which Patrick was really reaching the heart of the spectators, expressing the music in the best possible way, even with his breathing.

Patrick really flows on the ice on deep edges and transmits his joy of skating. Each movement of his body, hands, and head corresponded to what one would expect on this beat of the music, just as in ballet. He was intense and communicative. Simply magic.

The marks he received in the Program Components, ranging between 9.50 and 10, this time were fully deserved! This is what I believe figure skating at the top level should do: generate an artistic emotion. The whole arena stood up in a standing ovation. Thank you, Patrick.

vCash
    I'm not going to be a "nervous Nelly" about Patrick. He's been in the business long enough to know when he's peaking or not. I'm going with the flow and enjoying each performance as it comes. He looks to be in great shape, and if he's happy where his is right now, well, then, that's wonderful and will be very productive. I'm a happy fan.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    who is Sonia Bianchettie?

Yes...I don't know if i can watch his skates in Sochi...i may have a heart attack. I will be too nervous esp the Short program. I think it will set the tone on how he will perform for the Long. Most likely I wont stay up late to watch live. I will find out the result then watch...lol

Kirk Borwning was right, the nervous moment will be the 3A jump. Patrick had a very stronge 3A spin on his LP. Even though the jump was fast, you can tell he rotated in with a lot of power in that jump.

vCash
    I went through that nervousness twice when Kurt skated in those two olys. Now I will just enjoy any of Patrick's skates. Fngers and toes will be crossed!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    who is Sonia Bianchettie?
    If memory serves, Sonia is a retired figure skating judge. A very flattering review from her, thanks for sharing, fscric.

Kirk Borwning was right, the nervous moment will be the 3A jump. Patrick had a very stronge 3A spin on his LP. Even though the jump was fast, you can tell he rotated in with a lot of power in that jump.
    I totally agree with Kurt myself and I am a little surprised that Patrick has considered adding a second 3A to his LP because he would have to take out one of the lutzes I think and the 3Lz is a much more stable jump for him than the 3A - which, by the way, he would have to do in combination with another jump.

Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    I'm not going to be a "nervous Nelly" about Patrick. He's been in the business long enough to know when he's peaking or not. I'm going with the flow and enjoying each performance as it comes. He looks to be in great shape, and if he's happy where his is right now, well, then, that's wonderful and will be very productive. I'm a happy fan.
    I am quite encouraged by the calm and confidence he exuded at both SC and TEB.

vCash
    With respect to Patrick's Axel, I was really impressed with it at TEB. Maybe he is getting his consistency up and therefore is looking at 2 axels. I think that in spite of everyone's posturing about how many quads, axels they are going to do when the time comes to the Olys most will play it safe.
    At worlds 2013 there was much talk about Fernandes doing 5 quads in two days but that didnt happen at all. Jumps are high risk factors so its really whether the skater wants to put out all or nothing or whether they want to hedge their bets and get a medal of any colour.

I love Patrick's confidence too. I hope it stays.

vCash
    I was very impressed with Patrick at TEB. He clearly showed all what he's capable of, and that when he does it all clean, he's unbeatable.

That being said, I am a little dubious that he had such a strong competition so early. Isn't this how he would have wanted to skate in Sochi? Hopefully he didn't peak too soon...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    You spoke for me!

vCash
    Confidence is what is most important for Patrick right now - and knowing that he has done two clean programmes will carry him forward. Doubt is his nemisis.

Page 23 of 51 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast