Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

vCash
    Thanks so much for posting that spikydurian. The journalist who interviewed Patrick did her homework and was able to capture who he is. I got the sense that Patrick isn't someone who likes competing, not in that way that others such as Stoijko and Kwan did.

At the same time, he comes across as highly motivated and focused.

I think he has a fighting chance in Sochi and will be a nervous wreck as his SP approaches.

vCash
    That's a wonderful article. I wasn't aware that Patrick's father spoke only French to him and his mother only Cantonese. I watched some multi-cultural children in my own family struggle in a similar environment, although in their case it was only two languages, and it was surprisingly disorienting for the kids. One toddler in particular would look at us with worry and fear on her face when she heard our voices. I tried to always smile when I spoke to her but it didn't seem to help. I say surprisingly because I'd always heard that was the best way to learn languages but it definitely must leave a mark on some kids. This adds to the enigma that is Patrick.

The rink story is really sad. I'd love to know who the skater was that caused Patrick to be ostracized - Off with her head! Figure skaters seem to embody the worst of high-school behaviour.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    That's a wonderful article. I wasn't aware that Patrick's father spoke only French to him and his mother only Cantonese. I watched some multi-cultural children in my own family struggle in a similar environment, although in their case it was only two languages, and it was surprisingly disorienting for the kids. One toddler in particular would look at us with worry and fear on her face when she heard our voices. I tried to always smile when I spoke to her but it didn't seem to help. I say surprisingly because I'd always heard that was the best way to learn languages but it definitely must leave a mark on some kids. This adds to the enigma that is Patrick.

The rink story is really sad. I'd love to know who the skater was that caused Patrick to be ostracized - Off with her head! Figure skaters seem to embody the worst of high-school behaviour.
    I spoke with Max Aaron's parents at Worlds last year. They were very nice (especially his mom) and said "it was sad what happened with Patrick and that he would be leaving". They said they loved Patrick and his mom and that he and Max would hang out often.

Who else trains in Colorado? Zawadski, Mroz, Aaron, who else?

vCash
    The article only adds to my admiration for Patrick.

vCash
    Rafter, thanks for the tidbit. It's sad to hear about what's happened to Patrick from a third person, but I'm glad he's found happiness in Detroit and made a ton of friends there.

vCash
    Wonderful article, really sheds some light on what Patrick has gone through these past few years.

vCash
    I'm glad he's found a place to train that is condusive to training and socializing in off moments. There's no excuse for nastiness, except perhaps jealousy, seeing that Patrick probably was the only Canadian there of the elite set.
    Addicted to FSU

vCash
    Mike Slipchuk, Skate Canada’s director of high performance, says it became apparent during the disappointing 2012-13 season that Chan needed another change of scenery. “He just didn’t seem to be in a good, positive place.” The training environment that fits a 15- or 16-year-old perfectly, doesn’t necessarily work for an athlete in his 20s, he notes. “Part of it is the growing-up process.”
    Patrick did mention as one of the reasons why he decided to change training bases the fact that there were some 20 skaters at the rink at the same time and a lot of kids among them and added that he ended up skipping sessions last season because he didn't feel like training in that atmosphere. Somehow I knew Patrick would have to leave Coloroado Springs sooner or later after parting ways with Christy Krall and I now wish it had been sooner rather than later.

DSC does seem to be a better environment for him judging by his own description of the place: "All the skaters are treated equally here. It doesn't matter you're an American, an Italian or a Canadian."

vCash
    He and Rachel Flatt were good friends and I wondered at the time she left if he'd find it lonesome.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Figure skaters seem to embody the worst of high-school behaviour.
    Slipchuk described 'them' as 15-16yos and that's actually 'high school age'. Kids at that age tend to be territorial and aggressive and I suppose being an 'outsider/Canadian' didn't help. I believe he was training with Flatt and Bradley in his earlier days in Colorado and Bradley has since retired from skating after Vancouver. When did Flatt retire? And yes VarBar, I also wish he had moved away earlier because his unhappiness was so apparent after the split with Krall but I suppose it may be a bit more complicated than just packing one's bags and go? His parents bought a flat in Colorado Springs so I assume they had originally anticipated a longer term stay in C.S. Rafter, Patrick did talk about the two reasons which might hold him back from moving to Detroit in his earlier interviews - his family's home in C.S. and his good friend, Max Aaron. Glad it's now history. He definitely thrived along side with other elite skaters in Detroit. As his fan, so long he's happy, I am happy.

blueglass, immersion language school is the best way to learn a language which is not spoken at home. I am speaking from experience. Also, start them young if you wish the children to be multi-lingual. I don't think Patrick speaks Cantonese very well but I think he does understand it when spoken to in Cantonese.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Slipchuk described 'them' as 15-16yos and that's actually 'high school age'. Kids at that age tend to be territorial and aggressive and I suppose being an 'outsider/Canadian' didn't help.
    My Niece was in a similar situation at university. First year, she stayed in a dorm where she made friends. Second year, the group of friends rented a house off campus. Eventually one of the house mates turned against my Niece, speaking negatively behind her back. I never heard what changed. I am not sure my Niece knows. From what I know, it seems this girl was somewhat of a diva type. Perhaps she was jealous because my Niece was pretty, athletic (a member of the schools prestigious rugby team), intelligent (consistently earns the Queens scholarship award, with grades in the 80's and 90's), had the largest bedroom in the house while the diva girl had the smallest. Whatever the reason, this girl began turning some of the other girls against her. Some remained loyal friends and defended her, keeping her informed as to what was happening when she was out. Unfortunately, one-by-one her allies left the house (transferring to other universities etc.). My Niece eventually found herself alone against the diva and her clique. Fortunately this third school year, my Niece has moved out and is more happy with the new group of house mates she now has. It was the best decision for her, and likely was in Patrick's case also.

P.S. My Niece owned most of the furniture in that house.
    Last edited by rvi5; 01-07-2014 at 07:11 PM.

vCash
    I saw a tweet yesterday to say that team DSC arrived safely in Ottawa (tagged @pchiddy too) so that's good news! Apparently there was a news report to say that they might have to delay events if officials/skaters aren't able to make it here on time. We drove in yesterday and the roads were clear, but some flights are still delayed. There is a lot of ice build up on sidewalks, parking lots, etc. It's quite treacherous walking. I've been driving my mom right to the door to get her inside (the hotel, restaurants, etc). We are heading over to the rink for the first set of practices this morning. I hope things are running on schedule!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by luckiest1 View Post
    I saw a tweet yesterday to say that team DSC arrived safely in Ottawa (tagged @pchiddy too) so that's good news! Apparently there was a news report to say that they might have to delay events if officials/skaters aren't able to make it here on time. We drove in yesterday and the roads were clear, but some flights are still delayed. There is a lot of ice build up on sidewalks, parking lots, etc. It's quite treacherous walking. I've been driving my mom right to the door to get her inside (the hotel, restaurants, etc). We are heading over to the rink for the first set of practices this morning. I hope things are running on schedule!
    I hope not at least beyond Sunday.....have to get back to work.

vCash
    Lori Ewing ‏@Ewingsports 1h
    Patrick Chan says he was like a "puppy at puppy daycare" at Vancouver Games. Compared his first Olympics to summer camp.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdkFpK2CMAAEg72.jpg:large

Someone tweeted they saw beautiful 4Ts from Patrick in practice today but that his 3As were...wild. lol

Good luck this weekend, Patrick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    Lori Ewing ‏@Ewingsports 1h
    Patrick Chan says he was like a "puppy at puppy daycare" at Vancouver Games. Compared his first Olympics to summer camp.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BdkFpK2CMAAEg72.jpg:large

Someone tweeted they saw beautiful 4Ts from Patrick in practice today but that his 3As were...wild. lol

Good luck this weekend, Patrick.
    Thanks VarBar. That's Chiddy .... 'Puppy at puppy daycare centre'.

luckiest1, drive safely. I hope the ice pileup did not impede your mum's mobility and she is still able to enjoy herself. Emdee, have your arrived in Ottawa yet? Hope the schedule won't be changed and noone misses anything. Bless the wild weather. It was 44 degrees C in Brisbane one day and 30 the next.

Keep posting the practice reports, please. And yes, good luck to Chiddy and all the skaters.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    That's hilarious.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    We're at the arena, no problems with ice here as its well salted. Patrick's practice this afternoon was good except for some falls and misses on the 3 axel. Both quads in the LP run through we're great. I'm going to stick around for the late practice in hopes he comes back and skates his short.

vCash
    I saw the early practise. Patrick missed the triple A in the run through of the free- and then tried it many times through out the rest of the session, popped once, but made it most times. He was all business- but in good form. Kevin looked very good. Poor Nam has to skater after Patrick tomorrow for the short.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corianna View Post
    I saw the early practise. Patrick missed the triple A in the run through of the free- and then tried it many times through out the rest of the session, popped once, but made it most times. He was all business- but in good form. Kevin looked very good. Poor Nam has to skater after Patrick tomorrow for the short.
    Thank you ladies for the update. I am happy to hear Kevin is looking very good. What a relief. The team needs him. Aw.. Nam. Look at it positively. A lesson is handling one's nerve.

vCash
    I checked the starting order for the SP yesterday and Patrick is entered as the last one to skate tonight.

Let him nail the 3A when it counts, hopefully he will.

spiky, I wanted to answer your question about Flatt in my earlier post but I forgot. Rachael didn't retire from skating, she's competing at US Nationals these days, I suppose she just changed training bases.

Page 37 of 51 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast