Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast
    Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Here's and old vid of Patrick participating in the Liberty competition in 2007. Yes, he's only 16yo then. Notice his already very good footwork at that age. His jumps weren't bad.
    Baby Patrick starfish hands! His skating skills were already so good.

This is the first year he went senior. Hilariously, I was looking at Patrick's Wikipedia entry to get the timeline, and it turns out I have the same Chinese surname as he does, and we both have the same Chinese surname as Tiffany Chin. My surname is not spelled Chin or Chan. Clearly, Westernizing Chinese names has no standard whatsoever.

vCash
    ^^^ You can guess where they 'originate' from or their dialects based on their 'westernised' surnames. Chan is usually Cantonese and from HongKong. Chin is likely to be from SE Asia (Malaysia/Singapore). Chen can be China, Taiwan or SE Asia. I was having fun with my South Korean friend just the other day discussing and comparing surnames because some Korean 'westernised' surnames are similar to Chinese (mainly from SE Asia) like Chung, Lee, Im, Cheong etc. My Korean friend, who is highly talented , is able to write all these Korean surnames in Chinese character, and in most cases, we found them similar.

Oh dear, thanks to Weir, 'starfish hands' are now synonynous with Chiddy.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    ^^^ You can guess where they 'originate' from or their dialects based on their 'westernised' surnames. Chan is usually Cantonese and from HongKong. Chin is likely to be from SE Asia (Malaysia/Singapore). Chen can be China, Taiwan or SE Asia. I was having fun with my South Korean friend just the other day discussing and comparing surnames because some Korean 'westernised' surnames are similar to Chinese (mainly from SE Asia) like Chung, Lee, Im, Cheong etc. My Korean friend, who is highly talented , is able to write all these Korean surnames in Chinese character, and in most cases, we found them similar.

Oh dear, thanks to Weir, 'starfish hands' are now synonynous with Chiddy.
    "Starfish hands" is the perfect description though!

And yeah, it did occur to me that Chan's parents could be from Hong Kong. It is rather interesting, seeing how Westernized Chinese names can point to origin. My surname is neither Chan, Chin, or Chen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anita18 View Post
    "Starfish hands" is the perfect description though!

And yeah, it did occur to me that Chan's parents could be from Hong Kong. It is rather interesting, seeing how Westernized Chinese names can point to origin. My surname is neither Chan, Chin, or Chen.
    All names point to origin.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee View Post
    All names point to origin.....
    Well yes, but China's a very big place, and many people emigrated from there to other countries, keeping their Chinese names. Clearly Patrick Chan, Tiffany Chin, and I are originally from China because our last names are written the same.

My observation is that the written language is the same, but the regional pronunciations are not, which is how you can pinpoint origin a little more specifically, by using the Westernized spellings.

vCash
    I am from Vietnam, and it's TRAN, which is same as Chan.....

vCash
    Besides Hakka travelled all over the world......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jettasian View Post
    I am from Vietnam, and it's TRAN, which is same as Chan.....
    Good point, do they have that character in Japanese kanji too?

vCash
    It will be interesting to see how Patrick will perform at GPF. He has never performed well in Japan before.

vCash
    ^^ He mention in an interview (CBC I think) that he expects the Japanese men to do well being on home ground. I expect him to do what he has been doing in practice. I don't expect him to break records all the time. I will be happy that he maintains the positive momentum.

vCash
    IIRC, Patrick says he suffers severe jet lag when traveling, and Japan is a fair way to go with lots of time zones, and doesn't do well with different foods. So here's wishing him well, and a safe and restful flight. I really want him to knock it out of the ballpark, so he goes into Olys minus all his usual detractors and haters.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by girlscouse62 View Post
    IIRC, Patrick says he suffers severe jet lag when traveling, and Japan is a fair way to go with lots of time zones, and doesn't do well with different foods. So here's wishing him well, and a safe and restful flight. I really want him to knock it out of the ballpark, so he goes into Olys minus all his usual detractors and haters.
    And with his happy confidence undiminished. Indeed. I sure understand about the jet lag. I imagine he'll at least have a first class ticket this time, and let's hope he arrives early.

vCash
    I'm not hugely worried about it. The Japanese men have a lot more riding on the results of the GPF as opposed to Patrick, because results of the GPF will potentially secure an Olympic spot for Dai, Hanyu or Machida (pretty much guaranteed, unless the Japanese men go 4-5-6). So, I wouldn't be shocked if one of the Japanese guys win.

vCash
    I know this is a Patrick fan thread...so don't wanna say too much...but come on, regardless how Dai/Hanyu perform at GPF or their National, they ARE GOING to Sochi. The other 3/4 Japanese men will fight for one last spot.

Patrick should go there a few days ahead of time to get rid of the jetlag. I hope he will win. Not that it matters, but to continue with the momentum is key.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    I'm not hugely worried about it. The Japanese men have a lot more riding on the results of the GPF as opposed to Patrick, because results of the GPF will potentially secure an Olympic spot for Dai, Hanyu or Machida (pretty much guaranteed, unless the Japanese men go 4-5-6). So, I wouldn't be shocked if one of the Japanese guys win.
    They are competing more against each other than they are against Chan. Isn't it is the top finisher in the GPF who gets a bye to Sochi (regardless of placement)?

That saying, if Japan goes 1-2, it might help #2 to get a spot, providing he does well at Nats.

vCash
    I am fairly of the opinion that with these two programs patrick is competing against himself.
    The Olys will bring other tensions but the GPF will just be another rehearsal or the big event.

vCash
    So this GPF is the last "international" competition before Sochi isn't it? I wonder if he gets beaten in TES scores, will he try to up his TES base value at National? I think if he is more confident with his 3A, he may add another one for his LP? It's pretty risky though.

vCash
    I think he will medal although I won't be worried even if he does not win gold though gold would be great. Like manhn said, the Japanese men have more to lose. Not saying that Patrick should purposely lose but I would prefer that he maintains his focus on Sochi. Whatever he gathered on his journey to Sochi is bonus.

jett, not sure what he has to gain in adding an additional jump. It may disturb his current rhythm which seems to be going well. Then again, we don't know what his team has in mind. It probably depends on how well he and his competitors are progressing. Will see .... should know by Nationals.

vCash
    Is double axel in combination? if so it will be a placeholder to possibly convert it to triple axel if need be.

Likely we will know by nats or he may just convert it day off.... I loved his Triple axel in TEB especially in the long program.

vCash
    I thought the Japanese selection system for Worlds and Olympics was solely based on how the skaters place at Nationals but maybe I was wrong.

Going back to Patrick, I'm thinking that since he has considered doing two 3As at Nationals, he already knows how the choreo should be tweaked to accommodate two triple axel jumps and at what point in the program he can attempt the second one.

IMO Patrick doesn't need more difficult content if he can skate cleanly because the skaters who could arguably beat him on TES don't score anywhere near him on the PC mark.

For the GPF, I just want to see a confident and relaxed Patrick who enjoys skating and competing. The GPF is not the Olympic Games. Nor is TEB for that matter although I suspect Patrick wished it had been because the monstrously high score he posted for a flawless free is pretty damn hard even for him to top.

Page 26 of 51 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast