8 6.67%
  • Mishkutenok and Dmitriev (1994)

80 66.67%
  • Bechke and Petrov (1992)

2 1.67%
  • Other (pre-1992)

1 0.83%
    vCash

Best silver medal performance by a pair in the Olympics?

You know what to do.. vote in the poll.

vCash
    M&D should win this poll by a landslide .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    M&D should win this poll by a landslide .
    Yeah, especially since they should have won gold.

vCash
    I had thought of creating this poll when I created those for ladies and men, but I did not because no other silver medal pair could hold a candle to M&D's 1994 performance. They were the only pair from this list that skated well enough to win the gold.

vCash
    I liked B & S, so elegant.

vCash
    M&D, of course.
    But I don't think they were robbed ! lol

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I had thought of creating this poll when I created those for ladies and men, but I did not because no other silver medal pair could hold a candle to M&D's 1994 performance. They were the only pair from this list that skated well enough to win the gold.
    While they dont come close to M&D of 94 in caliber, Pang & Tong in 2010 argaubly skated well enough to win the gold that night too. They did win the LP phase.

vCash
    I voted for M&D, (I know, I know, what a shock, get the smelling salts out . But I would go as far to say it was the best silver medal Olympic performance in any discipline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    While they dont come close to M&D of 94 in caliber, Pang & Tong in 2010 argaubly skated well enough to win the gold that night too. They did win the LP phase.
    Yesss.

vCash
    I voted for MD, my all time preferred skaters. I really also loved Bechke and Petrov's Nutcracker, but one can't vote twice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I voted for MD, my all time preferred skaters. I really also loved Bechke and Petrov's Nutcracker, but one can't vote twice.
    They had such beautiful lifts. And I lurve the sommersault they do towards the end of their routine.

I always felt that they were Moskvina's "forgotten" pair, not that she forgot about them, just that when people are discussing Moskvina's pair teams, they sometimes seem to be left out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, especially since they should have won gold.
    I agree! My consolation: their program was perfect, no mistake so as far as I'm concerned, they came out on top . G&G was not perfect, Sergei made two mistakes - minor but they're still mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DickButtonFan View Post
    I liked B & S, so elegant.
    I love B&S dearly but in all fairness their programs in 98 had major mistakes. I'm glad they got the silver but I don't consider theirs being the best. They are still a great pair, just not quite ready at that time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyhm View Post
    I agree! My consolation: their program was perfect, no mistake so as far as I'm concerned, they came out on top . G&G was not perfect, Sergei made two mistakes - minor but they're still mistakes.
    If you count small mistakes by Sergei, you have to count small mistakes by Natalia and Artur.
    Her 2Axel was slightly 2-footed (or at least, the high free leg made it questionable !) and Artur had a trouble on a twizzle in the last footwork sequence (here exactly at 4:11)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    While I dont think they were better than M&D in 1994, Pang & Tong in 2010 skated well enough to win the gold and probably should have. Bechke & Petrov in 1992 skated well enough to win the gold in many other Olympics, even if not that night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by irinayunafanatc View Post
    Bechke & Petrov in 1992 skated well enough to win the gold in many other Olympics, even if not that night.
    This I think goes back to the issue of reputation in the sport. Bechke and Petrov (well, Bechke) had a reputation of inconsistency that preceded her by a country mile. They did not skate perfectly (she two-footed the 3T and they singled their 2A), but those mistakes were less obvious than Mishkutenok's fall. Even if B/P had skated truly cleanly and even if M/D had made a more serious error in the LP, I don't know if the judges would have given the gold to B/P over the world champions, especially if we add into the mix the possibility of a clean Brasseur and Eisler.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    This I think goes back to the issue of reputation in the sport. Bechke and Petrov (well, Bechke) had a reputation of inconsistency that preceded her by a country mile. They did not skate perfectly (she two-footed the 3T and they singled their 2A), but those mistakes were less obvious than Mishkutenok's fall. Even if B/P had skated truly cleanly and even if M/D had made a more serious error in the LP, I don't know if the judges would have given the gold to B/P over the world champions, especially if we add into the mix the possibility of a clean Brasseur and Eisler.
    Just a slight correction, Mishkutenok didn't fall in the LP, she doubled a side-by-side triple and singled the side-by-side double axel (IIRC)-but M&D didn't actually fall on any element.

vCash
    Haha, I knew I wasn't remembering that correctly as I was typing it but I was too lazy to watch the whole LP on youtube. Thanks for the correction. I think they fell at Trophee Lalique in the LP, that's where I made the confusion :-)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by unchat123 View Post
    This is true. B&P put themselves at a huge disadvantage reputation wise by not skating well at the 91 Worlds and generally not being very consistent for years. Yes I agree due to that even had they been totally clean I dont think they would have won, and as it was had Brasseur & Eisler skated better I doubt they would have even won silver.

vCash
    Also to add to them not skating well in 1991, they didn't even make the 1990 worlds after winning bronze in 1989.