View Poll Results: YOUR biggest disappointments (2) when a favorite for OGM did not win the Gold

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1980 Linda Fratianne

2 0.99%
  • 1984 Roslyn Sumners

2 0.99%
  • 1988 Debbie Thomas (Co-favorite)

13 6.44%
  • 1992 Midori Ito

33 16.34%
  • 1998 Michelle Kwan

110 54.46%
  • 2002 Kwan-Slutskaya (Co-favorites)

69 34.16%
  • 2006 Irina Slutskaya

16 7.92%
  • Other (Specify)

18 8.91%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Especialy since Kristi skated one of her worst ever free programs to win in 1992. Easily beatable. I kind of wish Kristi hadnt won in 92 not only since I like Midori, but I am sure Kristi would have stayed until atleast 1994 and won everything, and this would have elevated her legacy higher than it was just winning and leaving after the 92 season IMO, and might have set in chain a whole different series of events for years to come as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Actually Slutskaya beat Cohen decisively at 2005 Worlds and was extremely solid in the 2005-6 GPs. The only lady who beat her that season wasn't old enough for Turino. Meanwhile Cohen hadn't beaten Slutskaya in a long time and didn't even win her lone GP.

After a strong Nationals, I would only peg her as a heavy medal favorite but wouldn't bet her to beat Slutskaya at all. I honestly wouldn't call her a co-favorite in 2006.
    I think Slutskaya was the favorite that year. But a part of me inside hoped that Cohen could outskate Slutskaya, and very likely would if she delivered (she hadn't delivered all year until the Torino SP). I just thought Irina's programs, though able to hog all the CoP points, were sloppy and forgettable compared to many of her previous programs. When Sasha beat Irina in the Torino SP, this confirmed my hope (and I thought the result was corrrect).

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Fratianne was a disappointment, but the USA won hockey, which made it all better.

Sumners at her peak was still less well known to me than Zayak, but I was actually watching Tiffany Chin.

Debbie Thomas was a huge disappointment at the time. I really wanted to see her perform a clean program with a 3T/3T. However, I am still not certain that Witt did anything on the ice that competition that merited an OGM. Given the competition format, I have to wonder if Liz Manley actually should have won the OGM since she legitimately performed well in all phases of the competition.

I have to rule out Midori as a disappointment because I did want Kristi to win the 1992 OGM at the time, although, in retrospect, Midori was robbed by the competition format at the peak of her ability, 1986-1990.

Michelle Kwan 1998 was a disappointment at the time. I though Tara was going "to wait her turn".

Kwan-Slutskaya 2002 was a weird sort of disappointment. I thought the only skater that could overtake them was Sasha Cohen, and rightfully so. Sarah Hughes was not even on the radar.

Slutskaya 2006 was not a disappointment because I thought Arakawa's skating and Cohen's skating were going to score better under the COP if Irina did not perform triple-triples.

All in all, I have to go with Kwan 1998 and Kwan-Slutskaya 2002.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-24-2013 at 10:43 PM.

vCash
    1984 had 1 favorite for gold. Sumners. 2 other gold medal contenders Witt and Vodorozeva. 6 other medal contenders with Chin, Zayak, Leistner, Rueben, Kondrashova, and Ivanova.

1988 had 1 favorite for gold. Witt. 1 other gold medal contender Thomas. 7 other medal contenders with Kadavy, Trenary, Manley, Ivanova, Leistner, Kondrashova, and Ito.
    1992 had 4 co favorites for gold. Yamaguchi, Ito, Harding, and Kerrigan. No other gold medal contenders. 3 other medal contenders with Bonaly, Chen, Chouinherd
    1994 had 2 co favorites for gold. Baiul and Bonaly. 3 other gold medal contenders with Sato, Chen, and Kerrigan. 3 other medal contenders with Szewcenko, Witt, and Chouinhard
    1998 had 2 co favorites for gold. Kwan and Lipinski. No other gold medal contenders. 8 other medal contenders with Slutskaya, Butyrskaya, Chen, Bobek, Hubert, Bonaly, Gusermeroli, and Szewcenko
    2002 had 3 co favorites for gold. Kwan and Slutskaya and Cohen. 2 other gold medal contenders with Hughes and Butyrskaya. 5 other medal contenders with Volchkova, Gusmeroli, Suguri, Soldatova, and Malinina.
    2006 had 3 co favorites for gold. Slutskaya and Cohen and Arakawa. 1 other gold medal contender with Kostner. 5 other medal contenders with Suguri, Kwan (before her WD), Meissner, Rochette, and Ando.
    2010 had 1 favorite gold Yu Na Kim. No other gold medal contenders. 4 other medal contenders with Rochette, Asada, Kostner, and Ando.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    Debbie Thomas was a huge disappointment at the time. I really wanted to see her perform a clean program with a 3T/3T.
    Debi should have done her 87 Skate Canada or 88 U.S Nationals performance at the 1988 Olympics and 1988 Worlds. She would have won both events. I dont know why she chose to do those performances at those lesser events she didnt need to win, but instead not do them at the Olympics and Worlds she needed to win the gold. I love her and really wanted her to win those events, especialy the Olympics.

I have to rule out Midori as a disappointment because I did want Kristi to win the 1992 OGM at the time
    Did you not want her to win because you wanted to see her stay in amatuer skating longer? Would she have even stayed until 1998, even if she won as expected in 1994 then.

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Did you not want her to win because you wanted to see her stay in amatuer skating longer? Would she have even stayed until 1998, even if she won as expected in 1994 then.
    I was cheering for USA.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bardtoob View Post
    I was cheering for USA.
    Do you think the U.S would have been better off had Kristi stayed in longer? Would Nancy have been better off in 1993 with Kristi to compete against and chase, and would the up and comers have benefited with Kristi around to lead them? 93-95 was a dark time for U.S women, even though Nancy nearly won the Olympics. Everyone was surprised Kristi retired, and Nancy seemed uncomfortable being the new leader.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Do you think the U.S would have been better off had Kristi stayed in longer? . . . Everyone was surprised Kristi retired, and Nancy seemed uncomfortable being the new leader.
    I do not think anybody was surprise Kristi retired. Amateur skaters from historically capitalist countries that won the OGM did not stay in amateur competition at that time, but went on to pro-careers that repaid them for their training costs.

vCash
    Do you think if Kristi had won she still would have gone pro or stayed in? I remember at the time people assumed she would continue, especialy if she didnt win the 92 Gold.

vCash
    The context was very specific, and I do not think anybody assumed Kristi would continue after 1992 if she won. Nobody had done that since Sonja Henie, who actually received money under the table, except Katarina Witt, who had state funded training, living expenses, and a pension for her accomplishments.
    Last edited by bardtoob; 06-24-2013 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    Too bad Nancy her roommate was in 2nd didnt slip her a pill that gave her bad diarhea to give herself a better shot to win. Then after Kristi and Nancy both skated really bad (assuming bad Kristi was placed below bad Nancy then) Midori could have come back to win gold and Kristi could have stayed in until Nancy retired to win everything and punish her for the evil and bad pill and not being a best friendy roommate at the Games.

vCash
    I was rooting for Tonya Harding after 1991 Skate America.

I would have been happy even to see her take bronze in Albertville. In which case the subsequent history of the sport might have been significantly different.

vCash
    Sasha Cohen in 2006. Going back further Denise Biellmann in 1980. Stupid figures.
    Last edited by Sasha'sSpins; 06-25-2013 at 01:17 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    I think Cohen should be listed for 2006. She was favored to the extent that people believed Sasha could somehow lay down enough technical content and that Slutskaya would double or miss some jump elements. Slutskaya was not such a lock. She lost the GPF to a 15 year old, people generally hated her biellman positions, and she had been a headcase in the past. It was not likely she would be as steady at the Olympics when there was actual competition-- or if she had to overcome a new stressor like an injury.
    Agreed. The biggest disappointment for me was Sasha not winning in 2006. She had to be considered at least as much as a favorite as Irina was.

vCash
    Not winning in Turin was very costly for both Irina Slutskaya and Sasha Cohen. Had Irina won, and then won her 3rd World title, she could have made a case for the best skater of her era over Michelle Kwan. I am fairly convinced she would have gone to Worlds had she had a good Olympics, but after the Games she was too deflated and initially pulled out, and even then she changed her mind and tried to enter but the ISU said it was too late.

Meanwhile for Sasha Cohen it would have elevated her to the status of a great skater, perhaps the best skater of the 2003-2006 quad given her consistently very high results that whole period plus an Oly Gold. As it is she ends up with the moniker as the just miss girl who could never deliver in a big event, and even worse when she even managed to blow the easy to win 2006 Worlds. Her best performance in a big event by far was the 2005 Worlds, but Irina would have had to take a huge dump on the ice and skate off to not win that year with all the momentum and things going in her favor she had for those Worlds

Meanwhile for Shizuka it was a huge victory as well. It elevated her to the status of a true champion, an erratic one and not exactly an all time great, but with a World title and Olympic title nobody could ever say she is a 1 hit wonder and not a truly worthy champion. Had she retired after the 2005 Worlds as originally planned her 2004 World title would have gone down as one of the all time flukes. Regardless the extremely high standard of skating she demonstrated there it would be her only finish in the top 7 in a major event.

vCash
    I voted for Kwan/Slutskaya in 2002. I was quite a Slutskaya fan then. I didn't hate Sarah Hughes, but it was a letdown that neither of the two 'big stars' of that quad were able to win the gold medal. I wasn't as disappointed about Slutskaya losing in 2006 since I liked Shizuka a lot at the time and I thought she really delivered a great performance (I don't dislike Shizuka now, but when I watch her old performances I don't think she is as phenomenal as I thought she was in 2004 and 2006).

vCash
    I had to vote for Kwan because as I watched that event I found her absolutely mesmorising. She had two beautiful programs that I loved and was emotionally invested in. Lipiniski on the other hand left me cold.
    When you are up to your arse in alligators it is difficult to remember you were only meant to be draining the swamp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gkelly View Post
    I was rooting for Tonya Harding after 1991 Skate America.

I would have been happy even to see her take bronze in Albertville. In which case the subsequent history of the sport might have been significantly different.
    I think Harding did deserve bronze over Kerrigan. Very weird karma situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie Willy View Post
    I had to vote for Kwan because as I watched that event I found her absolutely mesmorising. She had two beautiful programs that I loved and was emotionally invested in. Lipiniski on the other hand left me cold.
    I still remember - I was home alone, was flipping through the channels until I saw her face. She was pretty and had a regal presence. And was wearing a short, blue velvet dress. She was standing at the boards talking to an old man while a bunch of other girls were jumping and spinning on the ice. I watched on as she skated. I knew nothing about skating then but found her and her skating to be extremely angelic. I loved her interaction with the music. And I always loved the name Michelle.

When she was done, the Aussie TV commentator basically said that she had won. I thought to myself - sure. And she was crying while waiting for her marks. How endearing.

And I watched on as this sweet Russian girl turned out to be this jumping and spinning machine while bouncing across the ice. I was stunned by what she did but didn't enjoy it. I saw that she didn't score as high and thought to myself - so elegance mattered.

Butterfly Lovers was familiar music for me so naturally I paid some attention to this Chinese lady. Unlike the prevous Russian girl, this Chinese lady didn't have the big jumps or the fast spins, but she used the music extremely well and was naturally emoting. I didn't know a thing about URs and Biellmanns but a part of me felt wouldn't it be nice so this girl placed ahead of the Russian girl. And she did. I didn't know how narrowly she was staying ahead by but at that time I felt elegance and musicality mattered, and one basically needs to be a vision on the ice.

Then this French hippie came on. She was moving and skating so differently than the other 3 girls before and I felt she must be focused very much on difficulty, very much like the Russian girl. And then I felt it wouldn't have mattered because elegance had to prevail. And anyway she fell. I felt the back flip was cool but knew she wasn't going to overtake the ABC girl in the little blue dress.

Then this tiny robot came on. I thought she must have been pre-teen. I thought it was so much about beauty and presence that she wouldn't be a threat. Even after her skate I still felt perhaps she would score similar to the Russian girl who always had her leg above her ahead. At least the Russian girl was more powerful, I thought. It wasn't until the Aussie commentator said so that I felt perhaps she was going to beat the sweet ABC. I had to flip to another channel when I heard squealling.

My closing thought that night: Why couldn't they have let the prettier skater and skating won?

vCash
    I thought Harding deserved to beat Kerrigan in the Albertville LP but I am not sure about the bronze overall. Kerrigan deserved atleast 2nd and maybe 1st over Kristi in the SP. Tonya maybe deserved 4th, but maybe 5th or 6th (she actually was placed 6th). I thought Chen should have beaten both in the LP, so maybe Harding 4th and Kerrigan 5th, and that probably wouldnt have been enough to pass her overall based on the short program results.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast