Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    He will look for the next challenge. It's in his blood. It's his family tradition. Can't fault him for being who he is.
    Okay so if a tragedy strikes (God forbid that) it's safe to say, it was in his blood? No blaming equipment, no nationwide mourning,etc.

I wouldn't fault him "for being who he is" if he actually did something productive with his stunt, like help someone in a burning building.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    No, I didn't watch.
    That was stupid! I mean why waste your life by doing that? What is that going to accomplish? Is it going to save someone's life? Or is it just for bragging rights, like many GWR competitors? I don't get it. Once his 15 seconds of fame are up what is he going to do? Maybe it's just me, but it seems useless I'm sorry.
    Take this, but just replace tightrope walking with "figure skating" or "football" or whatever. There are LOTS of things in life that really don't "accomplish" anything beyond personal satisfaction and pushing of one's limits. This is Nick's sport, his art. Nobody is making him do it, and he's fully aware of the risks. The only person it has the potential to injure or hurt is himself.

If we are judging people's professions by how it helps humanity, all athletes would be out of work, among other professions.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spareoom View Post
    Take this, but just replace tightrope walking with "figure skating" or "football" or whatever. There are LOTS of things in life that really don't "accomplish" anything beyond personal satisfaction and pushing of one's limits. This is Nick's sport, his art. Nobody is making him do it, and he's fully aware of the risks. The only person it has the potential to injure or hurt is himself.

If we are judging people's professions by how it helps humanity, all athletes would be out of work, among other professions.
    Seriously. Presumably, people on here are figure-skating fans. How many lives did Yu-na winning a gold medal save? If Plushenko blows out a knee trying to win again and the whole world sees it, what did he gain by doing it?

(And for heaven's sake, Nik Wallenda is a Wallenda, when his "fifteen minutes" are up he's going to keep on performing circus stunts like high-wire acts. It's what he does. I suspect, watching him watch himself, he won't be walking the Grand Canyon again, but more power to him for making it. I got vertigo just watching it.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiazumi View Post
    No, I didn't watch.
    That was stupid! I mean why waste your life by doing that? What is that going to accomplish? Is it going to save someone's life? Or is it just for bragging rights, like many GWR competitors? I don't get it. Once his 15 seconds of fame are up what is he going to do? Maybe it's just me, but it seems useless I'm sorry.
    Using the same logic, Sir Edmund Hillary (and those who followed him) should never have risked his life, trying to climb Mount Everest.

vCash
    But the difference is that most figure skaters skate for a living and fs is not nearly as dangerous as this, so you can't really compare it. Does this guy have a job and is it enough to put food on the table? Or is he just going to walk across two mountains to earn money?
    Last edited by Jiazumi; 07-07-2013 at 03:38 AM. Reason: typo

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    He makes a very good living doing this. It is his job. Don't understand your hostility.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12