Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Anyone watching 'Skywire'- Nick Wallenda's tight rope walk across the Grand Canyon?

I am watching this on Discovery channel. I hope he makes it safely. He is going to walk the tight rope (a cable) across a part of the Grand Canyon. This is about to begin. I hope he makes it. If he does not, death is almost a certainty.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...n-the-air.html

ETA: I am so nervous for him! I almost don't want to watch. However, the 'pre-game show' has been very educational. I did not realize the complexity of engineering involved in setting up the wire, especially in the remote Grand Canyon area. There are some stunning views of the Grand Canyon in the show. I have never seen these areas (I have been to the GCNP a dozen times).
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-24-2013 at 02:09 AM.

vCash
    The pre-game show (for lack of a better phrase) was 90 minutes long! They milked every second out of it. Looks like he is about to start his walk. I will never understand people that have that sense of adventure. I am just an average person in that respect. I am not sure I am even brave enough to watch this on TV.

BTW his wife is so beautiful! His mother is so gorgeous; she does not look old enough to be his mother. His last name is same as his mother's. I think his parents are not married, but his father and even his father's brother are there to support him- emotionally and technically.

vCash
    thanks for reminding me
    softball

vCash
    I'm very glad he made it. But for the sake of his kids I hope he never does anything like this again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ssminnow View Post
    I'm very glad he made it. But for the sake of his kids I hope he never does anything like this again.
    He made it! I was so nervous throughout; I was praying, and periodically closing my eyes. His family is used to seeing him do these things. This is what he loves to do. Someday if the worst happens, that would still hold. His father, grand father, great grandfather were doing the highwire act and risking their lives. If he wants to follow the family tradition, who can stop him? His wife was even a circus girl, doing stunts. His family understands him, and they understand that he will do daredevil things again. That's what he was born to do.

Congratulations to Nick Wallenda and his entire team.......Going to post on Discovery.com now.

ETA: His mother was wiping tears, several minutes after he 'landed' safely. The kids seemed relatively calm.
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-24-2013 at 03:28 AM.

In my own little fantasy world where life is perfect for me!
    vCash
    I missed the first hour, so didn't see how they set up the wire. But damn that was scary as hell when they showed that shot straight down of his feet walking the wire, and I was just watching it on my TV! I can't even imagine how scary that was for him! There were a couple times when I gasped because he looked off balance, and when he went down to his knee ... . When they were showing the front shot of him and you could see his face, he looked really worried. So glad he made it! But man that is heart stopping watching it!

vCash
    I couldn't watch it,I didn't want to possibly see this man fall to his death because that picture would be in my mind forever.

vCash
    I watched the rerun, which was obviously not so scary, since I knew he had made it safely. He was very emotional, and so was his family. He kissed the ground when he finally got off the cable. During the interview (afterwards) they replayed the first time he sat on the cable (he did it twice, other than the last one when he gave a thumbs up). He said that the cable was doing something strange (I am forgetting the word he used for it), so he sat down to calm it down. He said it was very scary and he was in fact worried because of the wind, the optical illusion (apparently the cable was swinging in the opposite direction to something else- again I am forgetting his words), and the canyon walls were interfering his vision, which was mostly down. The view was incredible but after the first few seconds he could not really enjoy it because he had to stay focused on his feet & the cable.

I am surprised that other networks did not even report this amazing feat. I assume they will, tomorrow, but they should have given this a lot more visibility (not the actual coverage of the event, but they could have at least displayed a banner that he made it).

P.S. I noticed later that he spells his name 'Nik', and not 'Nick' as I had thought.
    Last edited by Vash01; 06-24-2013 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Name correction

Skating supporter
    Born in Nova Scotia but living in Ottawa, Ontario (Canada's Capital)
    vCash
    The fact that he made it was covered on the 11 p.m. national news on the CTV network (Canada) and they included some footage. NBC did lots of promotion leading up to it on the Today Show so I expect coverage this morning.
    Can't skate but love to watch

vCash
    Article from local newspaper (AZcentral.com):

http://www.azcentral.com/travel/arti...k-success.html

vCash
    I vividly remember the news footage and pictures of Karl Wallenda falling to his death in 1978, and am still traumatized! I just cannot watch these death-defying acts.

Sending my thoughts and prayers to the people of Elliott Lake :(
    vCash
    It was on The National on the CBC too. Glad he made it, but yi yi yi!!

vCash
    Glad he made it but I wish both him and the rest of his clan would stop these dangerous stunts.
    “Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.” William Shakespeare

vCash

Re: Anyone watching 'Skywire'-

Gad he made it, and I hope he made buckets of money so he never ever has to do something like that again. He's got a wife and kids, they need him alive!!!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk 2

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    My first question was "Didn't a bunch of his family die horribly in a circus accident?" Mom: "Yeah, in Detroit, as a matter of fact." (Why I remembered it, it's in a big book of Free Press front pages. This was way back and there were multiple injuries and fatalities.) They're circus performers, I think that sort of thing is in the blood, but personally I would draw the line at wire-walking the Grand Canyon. I wouldn't even go out on that clear skywalk. But hey, glad he made it. Unlike that poor wing walker at the airshow. (PLEASE stop showing the burning plane, television news programs.)

Rejecting your reality and substituting my own
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiery View Post
    Gad he made it, and I hope he made buckets of money so he never ever has to do something like that again. He's got a wife and kids, they need him alive!!!
    I had a college classmate whose entire family flew single-engine planes. Since he and his brother were kids, they were flying. He, his brother, and his father was in such a plane about 10 years ago when the engine stalled. The father died in the crash, my classmate and his brother survived. To this day, both still fly.

The desire to do such dangerous things that literally runs in your family veins is something I personally will never understand. But if being so close to death doesn't stop them, that's a need that's beyond logic and I have to admire the beauty of it, in a way. Like Wallenda, they're not careless about it. They practice, they train, they don't take stupid chances. But it's something they cannot stop doing.

vCash
    I watched. But, for some reason, it didn't hold my attention like his walk across Niagara Falls last year. Probably because it was more local and there was so much hoopla in the news about the Niagara Falls walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Badams View Post
    I watched. But, for some reason, it didn't hold my attention like his walk across Niagara Falls last year. Probably because it was more local and there was so much hoopla in the news about the Niagara Falls walk.
    There was a lot of hoopla here about his walk across the Grand Canyon (a part of it). It was being mentioned on TV multiple times several days (weeks?) in advance, and I was not going to miss watching this.

During the Niagara falls walk he was required to have a harness attached, which made it less dangerous. He had a chance to survive. Here he had none if he had slipped, and from what he said later, the conditions were extremely difficult. The canyon walls created a distraction which he had not anticipated. He was prepared for everything except for the optical illusion of the pendulums swinging in one direction, and the cable in the opposite. The focus must have been incredible.

He comes from 7 or 8 generations of a family that did the tight rope walks. His great grandfather died doing it. It's in his blood and the danger is not going to stop him. His wife was a circus performer and she had seen many serious injuries (may be even death) in the circus. The whole family has accepted it as their way of life. He is not going to stop doing this until it becomes physically impossible for him (old age, etc.).

The pre-game show was very interesting (although a bit long). It showed how much work goes into something like this, how hard he trains before performing an act. He trained using simulated winds, anticipating winds at the Grand canyon. He has a team that takes care of the equipment, and they have to be very thorough. Plus he seems to have a strong faith that gives him strength and focus.

vCash
    No, I didn't watch.
    That was stupid! I mean why waste your life by doing that? What is that going to accomplish? Is it going to save someone's life? Or is it just for bragging rights, like many GWR competitors? I don't get it. Once his 15 seconds of fame are up what is he going to do? Maybe it's just me, but it seems useless I'm sorry.

vCash
    He will look for the next challenge. It's in his blood. It's his family tradition. Can't fault him for being who he is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast