View Poll Results: Happiest Olympic silver medialist?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stephane Lambiel (2006)

27 12.80%
  • Paul Wylie (1992)

81 38.39%
  • Elizabeth Manley (1988)

71 33.65%
  • Kitty & Peter Carruthers (1984)

4 1.90%
  • Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang (2006)

6 2.84%
  • Qing Pang & Jian Tong (2010)

9 4.27%
  • Isabelle & Paul Duschenay (1992)

2 0.95%
  • Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto (2006)

7 3.32%
  • Other

4 1.90%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I understand if some skaters feel they were 'robbed' due to politics or whatever. But geez show a LITTLE gratitude. Most of us never make it to the Olympics let alone win a medal of any color to show for it. And I'm sure the 4th place finishers (or lower) would love to trade places with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasha'sSpins View Post
    I understand if some skaters feel they were 'robbed' due to politics or whatever. But geez show a LITTLE gratitude. Most of us never make it to the Olympics let alone win a medal of any color to show for it. And I'm sure the 4th place finishers (or lower) would love to trade places with them.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Don't forget to thow in Linda Fratianne and Nancy Kerrigan also.
    Sorry, Fratianne's before my time, and I forgot about Nancy's comment about Oksana's makeup.

vCash
    Voted for Liz hands down... that performance was akin to Galindo's 1996 U.S. Nationals FS. Just magic!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by N_Halifax View Post
    Voted for Liz hands down... that performance was akin to Galindo's 1996 U.S. Nationals FS. Just magic!
    I voted for Paul, but this is a good comparison!

vCash
    Paul had a truly glorious Pro career after unexpectedly winning the OSM.
    He reached, and surpassed, all expectations; finally achieving what everyone who admired his skating, most wished for him.
    I smile when I think of that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Roz did almost as much complaining about "losing the gold by a tenth of a point" as Linda Fratianne claimed she wuzrobbed.
    I dont think Sumners was mad at the judges, but more mad at herself. Why should she have been happy with silver and losing gold by 0.1 though. She came in as World Champion, 3 time U.S Champion, and favored to win. She popped like 4 jumps in her long program, including her last 2 jumps and still lost by only 0.1.

She must know had she done one of those last 2 jumps she would be the Olympic Champion from Sarajevo, something she was expected to achieve before the Games, and her dream like many young skaters. Either that or had she not put her foot down on a simple double axel and won the short, that also would have given her the gold. So for her that ultimate skaters dream was right on the doorstep and she blew it, and still it was so close to happening. You would be upset too I bet.

Of course she is not going to be bubbling over with happiness like people like Wylie, Lambiel, Manley, Carruthers, Zhangs, who werent even supposed to medal.

vCash
    Lambiel wasn't supposed to medal? He was the reigning world champ. Gold was Plushenko's but silver and bronze was certainly within reach of the Little Prince.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    Lambiel wasn't supposed to medal? He was the reigning world champ. Gold was Plushenko's but silver and bronze was certainly within reach of the Little Prince.
    Lets face it though. Everyone knows a clean Plushenko, clean Joubert, clean Buttle, clean Weir, clean Lysacek, clean Takahashi, clean Oda, will all beat a clean Lambiel.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Paul Wylie.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Lets face it though. Everyone knows a clean Plushenko, clean Joubert, clean Buttle, clean Weir, clean Lysacek, clean Takahashi, clean Oda, will all beat a clean Lambiel.
    I really doubt it. The judges were in love with Lambiel during that time, and even though COP was the harshest to his spins during that Olympics, he always received very high PCS and could be counted on for quads if clean. Buttle couldn't land a quad, Oda couldn't count on a good day, Weir was well-liked and maybe even loved but not as much as Lambiel, Lysaceck was just starting so he wouldn't have gotten the PCS or GOE boost, Takahashi was just making a name for himself so I could see him placing 4th or sneaking in for a medal, and Joubert lost to Lambiel when it was close, so Lambiel was where it was.

The judges were still in love with Lambiel in 2010 just by looking at his PCS despite the fact that it was probably his worst performed LP (in terms of actual performance) ever.

vCash
    Lambiel skating cleanly would have won the 2006 and 2010 Olympics. Too bad he wasnt clean. In 2010 he probably didnt even have to be totally clean, but in 2006 he would have had to have been to beat a then peak Plushenko.

A clean Lambiel would always crush a clean Weir as the judges far more like Lambiel. I like both men and their skating for the record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by judgejudy27 View Post
    Lambiel skating cleanly would have won the 2006 and 2010 Olympics. Too bad he wasnt clean. In 2010 he probably didnt even have to be totally clean, but in 2006 he would have had to have been to beat a then peak Plushenko.

A clean Lambiel would always crush a clean Weir as the judges far more like Lambiel. I like both men and their skating for the record.
    Do you think Lambiel would have won in 2010 if he'd had the 3A, plus the quad that he did have? I'm leaning toward yes..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Do you think Lambiel would have won in 2010 if he'd had the 3A, plus the quad that he did have? I'm leaning toward yes..
    He wouldnt need the 3axel to win. Lysacek had no quad and won. I am not even going to speculate on the 3axel as there is no chance Stephane was trying that in Vancouver but it wasnt neccessary unless Takahashi had skated clean perhaps.

Lambiel's base value in the short program was lower than Lysacek's, but higher in the long (even without a 3axel), and over the two programs roughly equal. Compared to Evan the winner, Lambiel skating cleanly he would get similar GOE on the jumps or maybe a bit less, more on spins, more on footwork, and get way higher PCS since even with flawed performances they were higher. He missed the gold overall by about 10 points, and he made atleast 20 points worth of mistakes over the two programs. That is without even considering many of the combinations that ended with doubles that were probably supposed to be made triples.

vCash
    I am mesmerized by Lambiel's skating. If he was clean or close to clean in 2010, he would win and definitely deserve to. He had everything (and still does judging from All That Skate 2013). Plushenko's lack of everything but jumps was evident even next to Lysacek. A clean and inspired Lambiel would have destroyed him.

In 2006 though, he was the reigning world champion but I don't think he had accumulated enough cred at that point to overtake Plushenko even with a clean skate simply because Plushenko was the sentimental and political favorite. I have no doubt he would deserve to though.

vCash
    Plushenko was scored so far above the others in 2006 since nobody stepped up and skated well. It doesnt mean he was unbeatable had someone like Lambiel, and maybe to a much lesser extent Joubert and Buttle, delivered to their best. Especialy since many felt Plushenko's performances there lacked the spark of most of his dominant performances from 2003-2005.

vCash
    Lambiel would probably have not been able to win the short program in Vancouver without a 3A considering that he couldn't do a 4T/3T anymore but he would have made up for it in the free skate and beaten Lysacek and Plushenko had he skated cleanly. He wouldn't have surpassed a clean Takahashi though. Lambiel's jump content might have been the one he had planned because he didn't attempt anything more difficult at Europeans prior to the Olympics, where he won the components mark but lost the technical mark to Plushenko.

chanunderrated seems to like to shock people by his/her comments.

vCash
    Stéphane had no chances to win in Turin, that was obvious even before the competition had started. And he was quite sure he couldn't medal after his two not perfect performances.
    Here is him recalling his Turin Olympic experience at the "Meet the Role Models" session during Youth Olympic Games 2012:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...y3ANFz8#t=849s

"Having the medal was just the best thing in my life... [The medal] had more than a taste of gold, it had a taste of paradise."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

In 2006 though, he was the reigning world champion but I don't think he had accumulated enough cred at that point to overtake Plushenko even with a clean skate simply because Plushenko was the sentimental and political favorite. I have no doubt he would deserve to though.
    He might have won in 2006 if he had skated his best, but he didn't..

vCash
    He might have won in 2006 if he had skated his best, but he didn't..
    Who are we kidding? That gold was Plushenko's even before he put his skates on. And difference in component scores proves that. 76.28 vs 82.42 in FS, I mean, really?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast