View Poll Results: Happiest Olympic silver medialist?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stephane Lambiel (2006)

    27 12.80%
  • Paul Wylie (1992)

    81 38.39%
  • Elizabeth Manley (1988)

    71 33.65%
  • Kitty & Peter Carruthers (1984)

    4 1.90%
  • Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang (2006)

    6 2.84%
  • Qing Pang & Jian Tong (2010)

    9 4.27%
  • Isabelle & Paul Duschenay (1992)

    2 0.95%
  • Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto (2006)

    7 3.32%
  • Other

    4 1.90%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 120
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Well IMO she was never a very good skater and her performances at the games in the short and long kind of sucked, nowhere near most of her 1983 performances, so I think she should have been extremely happy with the silver.


    Quote Originally Posted by fenway2 View Post
    I'm fairly certain JJ was cracking a joke.
    Yes pretty much. I can rarely resist the temptation to poke fun at Rosalynn I concede.

  2. #22
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,446
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    You're kidding, right?

    Roz did almost as much complaining about "losing the gold by a tenth of a point" as Linda Fratianne claimed she wuzrobbed.
    I'm fairly certain JJ was cracking a joke.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by aliceanne View Post
    I don't remember Lambiel's reaction. Liz Manley was happy until the wuzrobbed talk started.


    The others mentioned were hoping to win, and most have expressed regrets in not doing so.
    Lambiel cried like a baby on the podium. They were tears of joy, however.

    I am surprised that the Zhangs did not get any votes. I don't know if they were happy or not, but after her horrible fall, they should have been extremely happy about their silver medal in 2006, ahead of S&Z.

    I think Belbin-Agosto were pretty happy with the silver. I think they were the first ice dance team from the USA to finish that high at the Olympics, and at that point they seemed to have many more years ahead of them.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    13,243
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I think the Zhangs were very happy with silver in 2006 indeed. First of there was never much hope they could beat Totmianina & Marinin at that event. I hugely doubt they would have even had they landed the quad salchow (they might have eked out the LP win, but still not enough). They were favored to win the silver going in, and seemed to have the political backing of the Chinese fed. that year over returning from injury S&Z and the often less favored P&T, but the cirumstances they managed it under probably made it a thrilling conquest for them.

  5. #25

    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Partying with Oda
    Posts
    4,226
    vCash
    1799
    Rep Power
    34903
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    Lambiel cried like a baby on the podium. They were tears of joy, however.

    I am surprised that the Zhangs did not get any votes. I don't know if they were happy or not, but after her horrible fall, they should have been extremely happy about their silver medal in 2006, ahead of S&Z.

    I think Belbin-Agosto were pretty happy with the silver. I think they were the first ice dance team from the USA to finish that high at the Olympics, and at that point they seemed to have many more years ahead of them.
    Z/Z were very happy, I remember him doing a little cheer when the scores came up. (I'm probably in the minority, in that I thought they fully deserved their silver.)

    B/A never showed any regret for winning silver, either.

    That said, I voted for the Carruthers. They were beyond thrilled. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jer97vmp2ZY
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

  6. #26
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I voted for Wylie, since he wasn't expected to win any medal at all, and he had never even won a World medal, IIRC.

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    1,520
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by skateboy View Post
    Z/Z were very happy, I remember him doing a little cheer when the scores came up. (I'm probably in the minority, in that I thought they fully deserved their silver.)
    I thought they deserved the silver medal for short track or ice roller derby.

  8. #28
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    12,333
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    The 3 first where the first that came to my mind.
    My vote goes to Stephane Lambiel. Although he was current World champion, his reaction was amazing. He seemed so happy

  9. #29

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    631
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Paul Wylie and Pang/Tong.

  10. #30
    Registered User
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    11,179
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Plushenko in 2010 He got the silver AND the platinum

  11. #31
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    2,065
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Plushenko in 2010 He got the silver AND the platinum
    Hahaha, I think he might actually qualify as the unhappiest silver medalist (well, maybe a tie with Roz Sumners).

  12. #32

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,137
    vCash
    925
    Rep Power
    1378
    I don't think Pang/Tong should have been happy, IMO they were undermarked in the SP and should have won overall. (I also think they should have been on the podium in 2006 - IMO they should have been 2nd in the FS.) However I think they *were* happy in 2010, not just for themselves, but also for Shen/Zhao, because P/T are such lovely people. Remember when they won their 1st World title in 2006, how they carried Shen out for their victory lap.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    207
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    I voted for Manley - it was pure joy watching her run around the rink and embrace everyone coming along! It showed me how much of a wonder an unexpected silver medal can mean to someone. She was so lovely.

    I can't understand the Duchesnays being on the list of possible "happiest" silver medalists (you might as well include Brian Orser in '88, then...); they were visibly anything but happy. They had entered the competitions in bad health condition and under immeasurable pressure as a result of the medias' and the French federation's expectations. It was sad, because the disappointment shown by those officials maybe prevented the Duchesnays from enjoying their achievement. An Olympic silver medal is something most skaters can never even dream of.

  14. #34
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Herot
    Posts
    3,489
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Paul Wylie receives his Olympic Silver Medal.

    If anyone can link to a video showing a happier silver medalist than this, please do.


  15. #35

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    I Want to Go to There
    Posts
    9,847
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    39581
    Quote Originally Posted by Shyjosie View Post
    I can't understand the Duchesnays being on the list of possible "happiest" silver medalists (you might as well include Brian Orser in '88, then...); they were visibly anything but happy. They had entered the competitions in bad health condition and under immeasurable pressure as a result of the medias' and the French federation's expectations. It was sad, because the disappointment shown by those officials maybe prevented the Duchesnays from enjoying their achievement. An Olympic silver medal is something most skaters can never even dream of.
    I agree because in retrospect, they were lucky to win that silver.

  16. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    9,802
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Hahaha, I think he might actually qualify as the unhappiest silver medalist (well, maybe a tie with Roz Sumners).
    Don't forget to thow in Linda Fratianne and Nancy Kerrigan also.

  17. #37

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,292
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3358
    100% Manley!!

  18. #38

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,950
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    91872
    Quote Originally Posted by miffy View Post
    I don't think Pang/Tong should have been happy, IMO they were undermarked in the SP and should have won overall. (I also think they should have been on the podium in 2006 - IMO they should have been 2nd in the FS.) However I think they *were* happy in 2010, not just for themselves, but also for Shen/Zhao, because P/T are such lovely people. Remember when they won their 1st World title in 2006, how they carried Shen out for their victory lap.
    I don't think Pang & Tong were expecting a gold in 2010; the year had belonged to S&Z. Given the competition (S&S and K&S who were also medal contenders) I think P&T were happy that they had skated great and won the silver. BTW it was not Pang & Tong that carried Shen out on the ice after their victory. It was the other P&T (Petrova-Tikhonov)- actually just Tikhonov who carried Shen out on the ice, and it was not a victory lap because Pet-Tik only won a bronze (IMO they deserved at least a silver). Pet-Tik were wonderful people, and I believe they knew S&Z pretty well.

  19. #39

    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Jersey, Channel Islands
    Age
    34
    Posts
    9,137
    vCash
    925
    Rep Power
    1378
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    I don't think Pang & Tong were expecting a gold in 2010; the year had belonged to S&Z. Given the competition (S&S and K&S who were also medal contenders) I think P&T were happy that they had skated great and won the silver. BTW it was not Pang & Tong that carried Shen out on the ice after their victory. It was the other P&T (Petrova-Tikhonov)- actually just Tikhonov who carried Shen out on the ice, and it was not a victory lap because Pet-Tik only won a bronze (IMO they deserved at least a silver). Pet-Tik were wonderful people, and I believe they knew S&Z pretty well.
    & I was just saying today how completely rubbish my memory is! It wasn't even that long ago...

    I know what you mean but I hate the idea that the year 'belonged' to S/Z - I think that idea is why they won.
    “What’s on the revengenda this evening?” – Nolan Ross

  20. #40
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    31
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Paul Wylie was thrilled to get an olympic medal and the audience treated him like he won the gold. We were so happy for him, he deserved every ovation he received.

    We had tickets for SOI at Hershey and he unexpectably made his first appearence as the Silver Olympic Medalist there. The audience was amazing and they had to wait until the cheering was over for him to begin skating, what a wonderful memory for me. All his numbers on SOI over the years were special and we still watch them.

    We saw him skate on a show recently and he still has wonderful lines, missing that in alot of the skaters today.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •