View Poll Results: Happiest Olympic silver medialist?

Voters
211. You may not vote on this poll
  • Stephane Lambiel (2006)

27 12.80%
  • Paul Wylie (1992)

81 38.39%
  • Elizabeth Manley (1988)

71 33.65%
  • Kitty & Peter Carruthers (1984)

4 1.90%
  • Dan Zhang & Hao Zhang (2006)

6 2.84%
  • Qing Pang & Jian Tong (2010)

9 4.27%
  • Isabelle & Paul Duschenay (1992)

2 0.95%
  • Tanith Belbin & Benjamin Agosto (2006)

7 3.32%
  • Other

4 1.90%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    vCash
    But what about Surya?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheIronLady View Post
    Michelle Kwan cried about her silver because she was sad she lost. All of the women silver medalists do. This leads to the question, are women skaters more emotional and bitter about losing than men?

That a large and inaccurate generalization. For starters, Liz Manley's silver Olympic medal is an example. Then, Cupcake was thrilled to earn silver to Kwan in 2003. And Akiko Suzuki was beyond happy about her podium placement.

Speaking about happy silvers for men, don't forget Ten from this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UGG View Post
    As long as they don't act like Surya Bonaly and rip off their medal, I have no problem with disappointment. I even give Nancy Kerrigan a pass with her make up comment.

Many of these athletes are children.
    I agree that Surya's 1994 display was probably the worst example of being out of order on the podium. And McKayla did everything except rip off her medal. Classy.

It's not just figure skaters, either. It's anyone on a podium.

To each his own, I guess. Nancy Kerrigan's behavior? I thought it was lousy. Even teenagers are old enough to behave well. Emotions are entirely understandable, but yes, one can feign a positive appearance for a few minutes. It's good sportsmanship. Tears, anger and disappointment can be controlled. Beauty pageant contestants do it all the time. I have no problem with backstage disappointment.

When I see an obviously disappointed silver/bronze medalist on the podium, I end up watching them more than the winner. So for me, it does take away from the winner's big moment.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    I think a lot of times skaters try, but they can't completely be in control. Kwan wasn't bawling or crying on the podium and put on a brave face, smiled, and sang the national anthem. However, you could tell her eyes were puffy from crying.

BTW, I may be a jerk but I loved the Nancy comment. It was stupid of her to say it when the cameras were there, but she was talking amongst her peers (Lu Chen) and other people near the backstage. She probably didn't realize the camera was filming, so she probably thought it was a semi-private setting. I may be projecting here, but I'm sure Lu Chen may have appreciated the joke because she too was waiting for like 30 minutes and was told the wrong thing about Baiul holding up the ceremony because she was putting on make-up. Seriously, if someone told you that, you'd be a little crabby too.

vCash
    Nancy was upset since she knows she was robbed of gold. Even people who arent fans of Nancy mostly all admit this. The delay and Baiul's histronics just rubbed salt in the wounds and made it even worse. To do that to her after all she had been through was a crime by the judges.

vCash
    Please Nancy was just acting like a spoiled princess. Oksana had none of the advantages Kerrigan grew up with mainly having a family and the best training facilities. Even if she did get robbed she came off badly. Then of course the Disney parade fiasco where she was caught bitching about how corny it was.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    I don't think so. Maybe men are better at hiding their emotions due to societal expectations, but you can't really say that Orser, Stojko (1994), Plushenko (2002 and 2010) among others were non-emotional about their silver medals.

Whereas, Midori Ito, Elizabeth Manley (at the time), and Sasha Cohen weren't exactly crying on the podium either.
    Yeah, Plush wasn't crying, but he sure didn't waste any time declaring himself the 2010 "Platinum" medalist. Orser also said once that it was difficult to talk about the Olympic LP night even years later. Stojko seems bitter too, given how much he likes to criticize current skaters/IJS.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Nancy was upset since she knows she was robbed of gold. Even people who arent fans of Nancy mostly all admit this.
    Do they? How do you know?
    I hear outside a million panicking birds, and know even out there comfort is done with; it has shattered even the stars, this creature at last come home to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_idealist View Post
    Yeah, Plush wasn't crying, but he sure didn't waste any time declaring himself the 2010 "Platinum" medalist. Orser also said once that it was difficult to talk about the Olympic LP night even years later. Stojko seems bitter too, given how much he likes to criticize current skaters/IJS.
    Actually I saw tears in Plushy's eyes, but he did not declare himself Platinum medalist, it was his wife who first declared him and then the fans who put the medal on his website. Maybe it is difficult for people to believe that Plushenko does not moderate the site but I've also seen a lot of other strage thins there, at least strange for an official site, like avatars with Patrick Chan and other skaters etc. And I bet Plushenko didn't call in second 2 and say, "hey, what is all the Patrick Chan/Daisuke Takahashi/etc. fangirling on my website''?

vCash
    Surely it wasn't his wife who did this? http://s2.reutersmedia.net/resources...FIGURE-SKATING

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Surely it wasn't his wife who did this? http://s2.reutersmedia.net/resources...FIGURE-SKATING

I can't say anything because I will be considered, again, as a Plushy hater. Hahaaa

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    The funny thing is that if chanunderrated asked every person who is not a fan of Nancy, it means there are not a lot of persons who don't like her !

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I don't know, did she?
    Last edited by ciocio; 07-16-2013 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post

I can't say anything because I will be considered, again, as a Plushy hater. Hahaaa
    Being uninformed or missinformed does not mean to be a hater.
    Last edited by ciocio; 07-16-2013 at 12:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chanunderrated View Post
    Nancy was upset since she knows she was robbed of gold. Even people who arent fans of Nancy mostly all admit this. The delay and Baiul's histronics just rubbed salt in the wounds and made it even worse. To do that to her after all she had been through was a crime by the judges.

Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane
    Evidence, please? I didn't watch the competition, but didn't care much for how either skater was packaged. Oksana the orphan waif, Nancy the working class girl made glamorous.

When the competition is discussed on this board, my impression is that it is 50-50 either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    Evidence, please? I didn't watch the competition, but didn't care much for how either skater was packaged. Oksana the orphan waif, Nancy the working class girl made glamorous.

When the competition is discussed on this board, my impression is that it is 50-50 either way.
    Personally as I have stated before, I would have Baiul off the podium completely. I am sure there are some who think she deserved to win gold that night, but in general over the last 20 years, the consensus has been that Kerrigan was robbed. IMO its the only time she was robbed of a placement in her career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lnt175 View Post
    Personally as I have stated before, I would have Baiul off the podium completely. I am sure there are some who think she deserved to win gold that night, but in general over the last 20 years, the consensus has been that Kerrigan was robbed. IMO its the only time she was robbed of a placement in her career.
    Actually over the years I understand more and more why people think Baiul should have won. Her core skating skills are better, even though she didn't get to really show them. Still, her skate fell short of the required standards at the same (footwork, change foot combo spin, spin revolutions, jump combos, spin difficulty or having any sort of in-betweens) and should not have gotten the scores she did. As bland as Kerrigan was, her skate was at least more complete.

All things considered I would have Chen or even Sato win the free - don't know how that would affect the podium as they both had issues in the short.

Probably something like:

Chen 5.8/5.9
    Sato 5.7/5.9
    Kerrigan 5.8/5.7
    Baiul 5.5/5.6

vCash
    I am one of those who is not a Kerrigan fan. But to say that her skating that night was not better than Baiul is wrong IMO. Sure Oksana had personality and speed but that shouldn't win gold medals when another skater has a near flawless skate. It seems the judges were sick of the Nancy/Tonya debacle and were enchanted with Baiul. So all of sudden Kerrigan who was always a judges favorite, all of sudden wasn't.

Also when Chen and (especially) Sato underperformed in the SP, it left the door more open for Baiul to win over Kerrigan. Sato didn't get to skate in the final flight so was not going to beat Baiul unless she melted down , and Chen was now just viewed as a Bronze medal contender with Bonaly.

Also what difference should it make how Baiul or Kerrigan were packaged. I'm not a fan of either one personally, but again it has no bearings on their performances.

vCash
    I agree. Not to make such a bold, absolute statement, but the only people who think Kerrigan should not have beaten Baiul in the LP (even if they think Chen and Sato were superior) are ones who either just love Baiul no matter what she did or are really happy Kerrigan is not an Olympic gold medalist for a bunch of reasons.

I'm far from being a Kerrigan fan (even if I do perceive that FSU has a bias against her to the point where she's underrated) and I prefer Baiul most of the time, but that night, Baiul was majorly gifted for the crap she put out. Now, had her SP been her LP...that would've been different as that SP showcased her skills much better.

vCash
    I do agree with what many of you are saying. The judges were sick of the whole Harding-Kerrigan hype that they had been ringing in Lillehammer for 2 weeks solid (well probably more) by then. In that sense Harding's bodygaurds's friends nephew clubbing Kerrigan probably did cost her the Olympic Gold, despite her coming back from it and skating brilliantly. By that point Kerrigan winning would have been the Cinderella dream story and dream ending that American producers would have probably made movies about for years, and the thought of that to many became nauseating so some decided to just puncture that balloon if they could.

They also were running out of viable alternatives to win at that point. Chen and Sato were no longer factors for the gold after the short program. No way on earth they were ever going to see Bonaly as an Olympic Gold medalist. Baiul was really in the right place at the right time. I wouldnt say that about her 93 World title which was very impressive considering who she was at the time, was won over a very strong event of skating even with Kerrigan's meltdown, and which was won with a more solid performance than her 94 Olympics one.
    Last edited by judgejudy27; 07-19-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456