Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    From the Bloc
    vCash
    re focus on Aaryn - the thing is, many players in the past have made homophobic remarks (the very popular Jeff for starters), and men who speak poorly of women are the norm in that house. Some have criticized Howard and Andy for not saying something, but at the same time as a black man and a gay man I have to think they've heard it all before and have learned to live with it and choose their battles - with $500K on the line, this isn't one of them. Similarly, those of us who are women have experienced men who say inappropriate things, lack respect etc - it happens so often that outside of extreme cases, you just chalk it up to another guy who's a jerk and move on.

So in a way I see why they are focusing on one person (really two - they showed GM on Sunday's show as well) - they are the extremes, whereas the rest of them are just run-of-the-mill jerks and people who have let something slip when in the end they really aren't all that bad (I think Jessie might fall into that category, and Amanda). It's not up to BB to punish them or set them straight - it's up to BB to provide a platform for them to be exposed (ie the social experiment), and then let the chips fall where they may - in the game and beyond.

Hamsterwatch had a great idea I thought - send in one of those people who does workplace diversity training for a session on the feeds. Won't compromise the game, but rather add to the social experiment that BB is supposed to be. Might help those inside, and do something for the cause in general. And I think it's a more positive approach than this mob mentality that wants to punish them by kicking them out of the game or causing them to lose their jobs.

drinky typo pbp, closet hugger
    vCash
    I think the diversity trainer thing is actually a horrible idea. it would absolutely compromise the social experiment of the game, because it would be a giant heads up that something is going very wrong. Plus, diversity training is often seen as a joke in the workplace by people who don't think they need to do anything differently, I can't imagine that this crew would take it any better. If it had been done at the very beginning of the season (or actually, as a routine part of every season), sure. but to introduce it midseason would be a clear reactive move.

I disagree that removing the players for their words is the right way to go either. As much as I find them even more vile and putrid than the usual group of BB famewhores, this show was set up to be a fishbowl and to not interfere. I just wish CBS would air more of the actual behavior of their cast as they are, and take some responsibility for their casting which goes a long way toward creating an environment where these bigots feel they can say things they probably wouldn't IRL. Maybe next season they should take a (modified) page from Survivor a few years ago and cast almost all minorities (of all different types) and only 1 or 2 young, white mactors. THAT would be a fantastic social experiment.

So, I do't want to kick these folks out of the game - but I don't feel bad at all for those who've lost their jobs or earned other real life repercussions. It is admittedly satisfying to see sucky people get their comeuppance.
    Q: Why can't I read the competition threads?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by genevieve View Post
    I think the diversity trainer thing is actually a horrible idea. it would absolutely compromise the social experiment of the game, because it would be a giant heads up that something is going very wrong. Plus, diversity training is often seen as a joke in the workplace by people who don't think they need to do anything differently, I can't imagine that this crew would take it any better. If it had been done at the very beginning of the season (or actually, as a routine part of every season), sure. but to introduce it midseason would be a clear reactive move.

I disagree that removing the players for their words is the right way to go either. As much as I find them even more vile and putrid than the usual group of BB famewhores, this show was set up to be a fishbowl and to not interfere. I just wish CBS would air more of the actual behavior of their cast as they are, and take some responsibility for their casting which goes a long way toward creating an environment where these bigots feel they can say things they probably wouldn't IRL. Maybe next season they should take a (modified) page from Survivor a few years ago and cast almost all minorities (of all different types) and only 1 or 2 young, white mactors. THAT would be a fantastic social experiment.So, I do't want to kick these folks out of the game - but I don't feel bad at all for those who've lost their jobs or earned other real life repercussions. It is admittedly satisfying to see sucky people get their comeuppance.
    Agreed! We had to do the "Brown Eyes, Blue Eyes" training at one of my old jobs. While it was fun, no one changed their behavior. Some people just took it and ran with it - "Shut up, brown eyes!"

vCash
    So, I don't want to kick these folks out of the game - but I don't feel bad at all for those who've lost their jobs or earned other real life repercussions. It is admittedly satisfying to see sucky people get their comeuppance.
    this is why I hug you

From the Bloc
    vCash
    You're probably right - we've talked about this quite a bit on FSU, how tedious most of these sessions are, and how the people who really should get the message are never the ones who actually do. The people who are already conscious will take it as an opportunity to continually improve, and people like Aaryn and Spencer will think it's nothing to do with them. Sigh.

I disagree that removing the players for their words is the right way to go either.
    Agree. This is a social experiment (or it was supposed to be before it turned into Jersey Shore with a cash prize), and therefore we need to let it play out. However ...

As much as I find them even more vile and putrid than the usual group of BB famewhores, this show was set up to be a fishbowl and to not interfere.
    This doesn't really happen though, does it? Producer/Diary manipulation aside, there is interference in the form of competitions, twists, audience votes, and of course the casting itself. While you are probably right that diversity training wouldn't work, I don't think it's any more interference than the other features of the game. Sure they'd know something's up - but there are other times they do to. For example, every time there's an audience vote (MVP, America's Favourite, return houseguests, coup d'etat), the players have a hint of what must be going on outside in terms of how they are perceived, who has fans and why, etc. Several of them have even been playing to it, hoping to score another Jeff/Jordan by showmancing their way through. In addition, they are very in tune to studio audience reaction - listening for what happens when HGs leave, and during last week's vote, reading the audience reaction as they cast their votes.

Totally agree with you re casting (sorry snipped that part) - while there are several players this season who are fans of the game, there are also several who have already blatantly said they're in it for a showmance and/or career development - and that's just the ones admitting it. This is where Survivor seems to have been doing a better job - returnees aside, the new players (for the most part) know the game and want to play to win, with little thought of meeting someone, having a free vacation, or getting a modelling or hosting contract out of it, or a spot on the Amazing Race.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Agree. This is a social experiment (or it was supposed to be before it turned into Jersey Shore with a cash prize)...
    that is the perfect description of the last few seasons of Big Brother

This doesn't really happen though, does it? Producer/Diary manipulation aside, there is interference in the form of competitions, twists, audience votes, and of course the casting itself. While you are probably right that diversity training wouldn't work, I don't think it's any more interference than the other features of the game. Sure they'd know something's up - but there are other times they do to. For example, every time there's an audience vote (MVP, America's Favourite, return houseguests, coup d'etat), the players have a hint of what must be going on outside in terms of how they are perceived, who has fans and why, etc.
    true enough. I guess I see it as the producers taking an even more aggressive step inside the house to make the hamsters behave as TPTB'd like, rather than how they really are. But agree that it's all about degrees of manipulation. And ceiling cat knows that the 3 hours aired on CBS rarely have anything to do with what's happening in the house anymore.

This is where Survivor seems to have been doing a better job - returnees aside, the new players (for the most part) know the game and want to play to win, with little thought of meeting someone, having a free vacation, or getting a modelling or hosting contract out of it, or a spot on the Amazing Race.
    I think it's because Survivor is so much more physical and even the most tricked out model-looking types end up looking gnarly by the end of the season....can you imagine all the BB hair extensions getting pulled out during some of those brutal challenges?
    A: Competition forums on the board are available to those with a Season Pass or a premium membership How to View Kiss & Cry

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3sIaYUxOLs

Video link from TWOP - Bigotry link. Really disgusting.
    I couldn't even watch the whole thing it was so disgusting. How can an audience keep tuning in to a show that features such vile people? If Grodner fixes the show, then I'd be okay with it this year if she could get rid of all of those who are spewing such bile.

Quote Originally Posted by smurfy View Post
    Thanks for the link, so glad they're showing this on the actual show and discussing it on The Talk as well.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    Not sure if it will make the broadcast but Howard had a great moment on the feeds tonight with Amanda about how he is handling all the racist comments coming out of Aaryn's mouth. That he just can't allow himself to dragged down by what she is saying.

Candice is still upset about Aaryn's "Shaniqua" comment but I don't think she's going to confront her either. Or maybe she will.

I'm down to rooting for just Judd and Candice. And once they leave at the hands of the vile Jeremy and his minions, I'm done for the season.

vCash
    interview with David, who thinks he's found the girl he's been waiting for in Aaryn, and everyone is being way too harsh, since she obviously is not really like that at all. Neither is GinaMarie. But Spencer is.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...-with-her.html

vCash
    I have BBAD on (hooray it was moved from Showtime, which I do not get! ) and Howard did pull Aaryn aside and talk to her about her offensive comments. I couldn't hear the entire conversation because they were talking in low/whisper voices and I have the volume low as to not wake up Mr. FB, and I've been catching up with emails at the same time, but I did hear him talk about how himself, Helen, and Candice were offended by her comments and her response was along the lines of "well they were taken a lot worse than I intended," etc, and that she didn't mean what she had said, blah blah blah. I believe (although don't quote me on this, I couldn't hear everything) she tried to say that they shouldn't judge her comments based on people just overhearing (ie: those she wasn't talking directly to shouldn't therefore understand what exactly she was saying/meaning because she was conversing with someone else).

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    interview with David, who thinks he's found the girl he's been waiting for in Aaryn, and everyone is being way too harsh, since she obviously is not really like that at all. Neither is GinaMarie. But Spencer is.

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethe...-with-her.html

Hmm. My first thought was, "but what if Spencer had boobs, David"? (Meaning real boobs and not man-boobs... )
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

vCash
    The ratings are going up, so they will not interfere with what is working.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    The ratings are going up, so they will not interfere with what is working.
    Yep and I think that Aaryn will continue to get the main racist edit over some of the others. Is it fair!? Who cares at this point.

Have nots came off last night so before midnight Elissa and Candice decided to make sure that Jeremy got nowhere near the booze this time and they hid it to midnight. Good going girls!

Watched a bit of the feeds this morning before coming to work and Candice & Howard shared a sweet kiss before going to sleep in the same bed. He'll probably sell her out to his boys tomorrow but for at least one moment there was someone in the house that doesn't think Candice is a worst person EVER!

vCash
    There's a very small chance that the outsiders can work the numbers to get Elissa to stay.

Judd has been working on Jessie and she seems open to switching sides; unfortunately that still doesn't give them all the votes they need as McCrae would need to flip on the MC but they don't know that.

Right now it stands:

Voting Nick out: Judd, Andy, Jessie, Amanda, Candice

Voting Elissa out: Jeremy, Kaitlin, Aaryn, Spencer, Howard

Has to pick a side: McCrae

vCash
    I'm guessing that Aaryn vote is actually GinaMarie? I don't really want Elissa to stay but a vote like that would basically demolish MC and split the house in 2. That could be interesting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    I'm guessing that Aaryn vote is actually GinaMarie? I don't really want Elissa to stay but a vote like that would basically demolish MC and split the house in 2. That could be interesting.
    Ooops, that's what I mean.

I want McCrae to flip so badly but I don't think he will.

One thing, Spencer/Howard/McCrae will be outed as working with Nick/Jeremy as they won't be able to pin the vote on anyone like Judd, Candice, Jessie again.

Tonight could be a good night on the feeds, if the pressure gets to McCrae.

vCash
    That would be amusing if Jessie was a pivotal vote to get out Nick since CBS gave her that bunnyboiler edit.

vCash
    Yay for Candice almost figuring out the boys are working together! Judd is close too except neither one has McCrae in the alliance and that's where things get complicated.

Nick staying or going is going to come down to McCrae and whether he wants to end things with the MC now. Could be one of those votes where we don't know the outcome till he steps into the diary room.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesy View Post
    That would be amusing if Jessie was a pivotal vote to get out Nick since CBS gave her that bunnyboiler edit.
    Things have changed for Jessie in the past two days. She's all happy now that Judd is paying attention to her. He's actually really sweet with her though I don't know how she understands what he is saying!

vCash
    please let McCrae flip.....Dingo is pulling for him, as he's a fan of her site. If he really is, he has to know that anything that hastens Jeremy's departure is the right move to make

I realized with tonight's ep that Kaitlyn looks disturbingly like my former dermatologist.

The editors tonight did a great job with Kaitlyn/Jeremy in the HoH room, bouncing back and forth between Jeremy's bow-chicka-bow bro-code moves and Kaitlyn's blueball nervousing.

Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast