Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    It's about ratings and attracting viewers and sponsorships, and I'm sure the Dean's boys do that, and one does not need to have gone to culinary school to be a good cook and TV host.
    Some registered dieticians have given very good reviews for Bobby Deen's show, Not My Mama's Meals, which demonstrates how to make comfort food less unhealthy. The concept can be a good idea for everyone, including the city-slickers who deride Paula for being overweight and having diabetes, yet who are overweight and have never even had their own A1Cs checked.

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    She will make a charitable donation, and several other gestures,
    Going to rehab also seems to be par for the course when these things happen....
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    http://www.tmz.com/2013/06/22/paula-...ts-fullwrapper
    I am now completely convinced that Paula has no idea what the Civil War was about. She relates a story about how her Great-Grandfather was devastated to lose the "workers" on his plantation. I don't think she understand that those "workers" were not there because they happened to be the best people for the job, and I don't think she understand why her Great-Grandfather couldn't have them after the war ended.

After reading everything, I'm not sure if Paula is racist, or just woefully ignorant. She views her Great-Grandfather losing his "workers" as a tragedy when most people see that as a victory. Using the N-word is never acceptable and there is no excuse for it, but I don't think Paula hates black people or view them as being beneath her. I have sadly known people like her. They don't hate anyone and don't view anyone as being less than them, but lack a basic understanding of things that shouldn't be said, and view them as just words. I don't think she really wanted to hurt anyone, I think she's just ignorant.

Her brother, however? Sounds like a major ass.

vCash
    I've never liked Paula Deen. She is whiney and I can't imagine eating most of the vile crap she makes. I have never used the "N" word and have no tolerance for anyone who does, regardless of their color. I don't like it when anyone uses a racial or religious slur, even if they are part of that group. These are ugly words and people using the excuse that they are a part of that group desensitizes others and encourages the use of the word. Deen is ignorant and while I hate to see anyone fired, she deserves it.

vCash
    I vaguely remember the Paula episode on "Who Do You Think You Are?" It seems to me that the researched ancestor lost a son in the Civil War and much of his wealth and later committed suicide. Why did Deen find a need to romanticize this story and idealize the antebellum period? How could she be so completely oblivious to the social standards of the last 50 years, not to mention, her own self-interest to use such language and indulge in such ridiculous theatrics?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I vaguely remember the Paula episode on "Who Do You Think You Are?" It seems to me that the researched ancestor lost a son in the Civil War and much of his wealth and later committed suicide. Why did Deen find a need to romanticize this story and idealize the antebellum period? How could she be so completely oblivious to the social standards of the last 50 years, not to mention, her own self-interest to use such language and indulge in such ridiculous theatrics?
    Because she is ignorant and oblivious. This is a woman who fries butter in lard and eats it.

vCash
    Fried butter is a top food attraction at Fairs around the country. Many people try it. It doesn't and shouldn't indicate anything about them as a person.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by UMBS Go Blue View Post
    I nominate Alice Waters as a much-needed antidote to Paula Deen, on a national scale.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hU2w0a0HQ

I second! Thanks for the vid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    Going to rehab also seems to be par for the course when these things happen....
    Nah, she just needs to die. If a reputed pedophile can attain post-mortem sainthood, Paula can too.

vCash
    Fried butter is a top food attraction at Fairs around the country. Many people try it. It doesn't and shouldn't indicate anything about them as a person.
    It would indicate a total disregard for nutrition. Sorry, but the idea of fried butter makes me gag.

vCash
    Open racism would seem to be a more serious character flaw than any questionable eating habit other than cannibalism.

vCash
    Fried butter is a top food attraction at Fairs around the country.
    I've never had that or the fried Snickers bars at fairs. It's not that I'm afraid I won't like them. I'm terrified I will, and then what?

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    the fried candy bars and chocolate chip cookies are diabolical. lucky for me, i am way to lazy to ever try to recreate them.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

vCash
    Never had the deep-fried cookies either. I did have a deep-friend brownie at a restaurant, and that was all kinds of awesomeness.

vCash
    I had a deep fried twinkie once at the fair. I literally felt the fat slowly coating my arteries. But it was kind of worth it.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    I've never heard of deep fried cookies so I looked them up on Google. I dunno, I am not that into Oreos so they don't appeal to me.

But these chocolate and date filled deep-fried ravioli sound heavenly.

ETA: Ages ago when I was in research I told my boss that I've never had a Twinkie. She marched me down to the hospital cafeteria, bought me one and made me eat it. Le shrug. What's the big deal? May be it's one of those things you have to grow up with to appreciate.
    Last edited by IceAlisa; 06-23-2013 at 07:03 AM.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

snarking for AZE
    vCash
    i have seen the oreos. but mine were deep fried chocolate chip cookies. they are divine but 1 is plenty.

i dont like oreos.

take away the nostalgia and twinkies arent very good.
    I feel like I'm in a dream. But it can't be a dream because there are no boy dancers!

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It would indicate a total disregard for nutrition. Sorry, but the idea of fried butter makes me gag.
    Or, you know, a once in a lifetime treat or a once a year treat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    Open racism would seem to be a more serious character flaw than any questionable eating habit other than cannibalism.
    I think I made that point.

Quote Originally Posted by Tesla View Post
    Or, you know, a once in a lifetime treat or a once a year treat.
    It just sounds vile. Sorry.

Reality TV's Bytch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    It just sounds vile. Sorry.
    I get that, and I agree. I just didn't like how dismissive you were of people who do like that, and probably only eat it once a year.

Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast