Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    People have gotten fired or dismissed for much less.
    Hey, it could have been worse. She could have made a sex tape.

vCash
    Also, it's not as if she hasn't had exposure to the outside world as a national celebrity cook to know better. If the alleged complaints are true, then there really is no excuse. She even admitted that her children told her that language was wrong, so if she continued to say those things at her restaurant, then the poor "ignorant" Southern older lady defense just doesn't wash. I mean she celebrated the old slavery days. Yes it was probably a celebration of old Southern Plantatipn culture too but those things aren't mutually exclusive. Especially with the way she did it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I wonder what's going to become of her sons' shows?
    Food Network Drops Paula Deen

The Food Network statement did not elaborate on its reasons for dropping her, but a person close to the network said its shows featuring her sons, Jamie and Bobby, would not be affected.
    I suspect that she won't be making any guest appearances on her sons' shows. The Food Network has cut the apron strings.

In the deposition, Ms. Deen said that she had used a racial slur in the past, though not in the restaurant, but that she and her family did not tolerate prejudice. “Bubba and I, neither one of us, care what the color of your skin is” or what gender a person is, she said. “It’s what’s in your heart and in your head that matters to us.”

She also stated that “most jokes” are about Jews, gay people, black people and “rednecks.”

“I can’t, myself, determine what offends another person,” she said.

This links might help her: http://archive.adl.org/what_to_tell/print.asp

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Is losing her FN gig too harsh a punishment? Dean's apology felt sincere enough. Isn't that what the public wanted? They got it. She's an old lady who grew up in a different time and just didn't know any better, but now she does. I mean my parents have said things in the past that made my eyes rolled too, so I can see where Dean is coming from.
    My mother grew up in the backwoods of Alabama. She's never used the n-word in her life that I'm aware of.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    My mother grew up in the backwoods of Alabama. She's never used the n-word in her life that I'm aware of.
    This. Contrary to popular belief, the majority of Southerners--even from earlier generations--do not use the n-word.

Paula may be sorry, maybe not, but the fact remains that she has been a big celebrity for a long time now. Celebrities are scrutinized in a way that most people aren't. She should have known better.
    "I hit him with my shoes... if he had given me the medal like I told him to, I wouldn't have had to hit him!" -- 8-year-old Rhoda Penmark in "The Bad Seed"

vCash
    She will make a charitable donation, and several other gestures, but it is hard to come back from this sort of thing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Hey, it could have been worse. She could have made a sex tape.
    Now Michael, where y'all gonna put dat stick o'butter?

Wow. FN removed her like a tumor, word.

vCash
    Well, she's history now. http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/22/di...-on-today.html Food Network dropped her.

vCash
    The clincher was the sign posted on her kitchen window that read, "IRISH STEW NEED NOT APPLY."

vCash
    I imagine her ratings have been dropping for awhile. It's hard to watch a diabetic (even if she's not eating it all) cook and still taste all the sugar laden things she cooks. Her show had gotten old. Need some fresh blood. I worked in drug and rehab years ago and was watching a movie with the pts. They were talking about how they would kill their daughter if she married a white guy. I got up and went back to the nurses station. (It was safer there). On the other side my mom told me about a church member calling the police because the preachers son had a black friend playing basketball with him on church property. Said he was trespassing. There is really no excuse in this day and age, but it's still there.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    She will make a charitable donation, and several other gestures, but it is hard to come back from this sort of thing.
    Yup, just ask Mel "Sugartits" Gibson.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    All the marketing she did, I would have thought she'd come up with her own line of butter. (It's whipped, ya'll!)

She's now Mrs. Butterworthless.

vCash
    Ugh, that apology video was so bizarre. She has gone in to full hot mess mode.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    This is a good summary:
    “Deen made a pile of money off a certain idea of old-school southern culture. In return, she had an obligation to that culture–an obligation not to embody its worst, most shameful history and attitudes,” wrote Time TV critic James Poniewozik. “Instead, in one swoop, fairly or not, she single-handedly affirmed people’s worst suspicions of people who talk and eat like her—along with glibly insulting minorities, she slurred many of the very fans who made her successful.”
    http://shine.yahoo.com/shine-food/pa...211112187.html
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Two places! Atlanta suburbs and in the North Georgia Mountains
    vCash
    "Old Southern Lady" my as*. She knew better. I'm 63. I don't know how old she is, but I'd bet I'm at least fairly contemporary to her. I was raised in Atlanta which is vastly more liberal even back then than other parts of the south, but I have plenty of relatives all over the south. Believe me, when I was a kid, my mother would have busted my chops for using the "n" word. My Dad taught me "love thy neighbor" and he's one of the most tolerant and loving people I ever met, and he's 87. My lower Alabama relatives were raised the same and are in fact today quite liberal, especially racially. (Maybe not so much military wise...) I certainly did encounter racism from a couple of elderly family members, but by and large, people just didn't say those things nor did they act like they believed in the old ways at all. I remember years where the Margaret Mitchell House almost closed down for lack of interest. I'm NOT excusing the south or things that have happened here or saying there is no bigotry or racism. I'm sure there still is. But Paula was young in a south that was changing, and she certainly should have known better. POOR RAISIN'! Or shall I just tell it like it is....WHITE TRASH!!! I also have a friend whose daughter lived in a house on her Savannah property, and they didn't have anything good to say about her at all. Her kids are supposed to be nice though.

vCash
    Food Network wasn't playing around when they said they weren't renewing her contract. Both of her scheduled Saturday morning episodes were replaced by Giada De Laurentiis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates
    I wonder what's going to become of her sons' shows?
    Kind of off topic, but I think her sons' shows are such a waste of space. They bring nothing unique to the table and have no special skills or culinary training other than being related to Paula Deen. There are so many talented people from Next Food Network Star with really unique show concepts that are rejected every year, and for what? "Home for Dinner" with Jamie Deen, a guy that manages his mom's restaurant. Might as well have a show called "Cooking Food."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveemoticons View Post
    Kind of off topic, but I think her sons' shows are such a waste of space. They bring nothing unique to the table and have no special skills or culinary training other than being related to Paula Deen. There are so many talented people from Next Food Network Star with really unique show concepts that are rejected every year, and for what? "Home for Dinner" with Jamie Deen, a guy that manages his mom's restaurant. Might as well have a show called "Cooking Food."
    I agree with you. I'm even more upset that Bobby's show is on The Cooking Channel, which for me, was supposed to be a respite from the dumb-ass shite that has become the FN. They both seem like nice guys, but they both have the screen presence of a stop sign.

aka IceSkate98
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    ITA. I grew up in Louisiana. I've lived in the same town all my life. Neither my family nor I have ever used the n-word. I have best friends that are African American. One of my best friends is a singer with her own band, and I've worked with her on occasion producing songs. She has worked with musicians like B.B. King, Little Richard, Bonnie Rait, Buckwheat Zydeco, etc.. I've also had the honour of meeting Mr. Denzel Washington when they made part of the movie, The Great Debaters, in my small little town.

I believe Paula did know better. If she didn't, then she definitely does know better now.
    Angie
    “I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” ~ Thomas A. Edison

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveemoticons View Post
    Well Boitano has/had a show on FN; What culinary training does he have other than he loves to cook? It's about ratings and attracting viewers and sponsorships, and I'm sure the Dean's boys do that, and one does not need to have gone to culinary school to be a good cook and TV host. There used to be a show on FN called "How to Boil Water" co-hosted by Tyler Florence and a really annoying chick.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast