Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Tinami 2012
    vCash
    Absolutely no excuse for a white person to ever use the n-word. I'm not a fan of blacks using the n-word either, but not being black myself (although I'd probably count under Lisa T. Jackson's definition ), I'll stay out that debate.

Sadly, I'm not surprised based on my several visits to Savannah. The entire area seems to be stuck in the Civil War era. My aunt and uncle lived in a town where the mayor flew the confederate flag. We drove through areas where, quite seriously, white people lived in gated communities while black people lived in honest-to-god shacks on the side of the road. And I thought Philadelphia (where I grew up) had racial segregation and tension!

Shame on Paula Deen. I hope she's fired, even if I think this complainant is opportunistic and probably money hungry.

ETA: I do agree with PL that I would be extremely uncomfortable in any workplace where people use derogatory language toward any group.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    Could she claim a hostile work place? I'm white, but if someone around me was making racist comments all the time, I would definitely be uncomfortable. Well, *I* would call them out, but maybe others aren't comfortable doing that.
    That would be reasonable. But why mention her father and nieces? How is that relevant?

I've never been to the South unless you count a trip to South FL and am not familiar with the culture. The N-word or any other racial/ethnic slur are never OK.
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    When this WHITE plaintiff gets all the money (if she wins) is she planning on donating it to the NAACP or any other group that advocates for actual minorities?
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    When this WHITE plaintiff gets all the money (if she wins) is she planning on donating it to the NAACP or any other group that advocates for actual minorities?
    You do realize that she also alleges sexual harassment, don't you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    Why would she have to donate anything if there's enough evidence for the jury to side with her and determine what the appropriate damages are?

Anyway, from a very brief skimming of the complaint, it looks like the harassment and maybe violence allegations are much stronger than the racial discrimination complaints. I would think that the Plaintiff would have to be a member of the protected class to win on the racial discrimination allegation (since most of it was regarding her African-American staff that she felt powerless to protect as their supervisor due to the behavior and actions of Deen and Hiers). Maybe because the complaint is dealing with her African-American staff, she and her lawyer felt it was necessary to mention her father who has a darker complexion and her mixed-race nieces who I am assuming Deen and Hiers knew about. That seems a little weak. However, earlier in the complaint (not under the racial discrimination sub-heading), she stated she was called some racially-charged comments in a derogatory manner such as being called "almost-Jew." On it's face, that's not insulting, but in the context in which Bubba Hiers said it, it may have been.

Anyway, Deen did herself no favors with that deposition. Even if she succeeds in getting the case dismissed or wins at trial (if the case makes it that far), her public persona should take a beating with her explanations or "defense".

I know Plaintiffs try to go for whatever they can at this stage and I could be wrong about this, but it's pretty ballsy to go for punitive damages among the other remedies. It would totally cool (in a nerdy way) to see if she succeeds in getting that from the jury. That would teach Deen and Hiers a lesson.
    Last edited by VIETgrlTerifa; 06-20-2013 at 06:17 AM.

vCash
    Twitter:

Lisa Johnson ‏@AnaliFirst 24m
    This update on the Paula Deen story is even worse. http://on.msnbc.com/12W3QyW

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PrincessLeppard View Post
    I'm white, but if someone around me was making racist comments all the time, I would definitely be uncomfortable.
    I'd be more uncomfortable working for a joint whose slogan is, "Our collard greens will move you."

vCash
    Deen was on a tv show which traces your ancestry called "Who Do You Think You Are?" and I believe on that episode it was discovered that Deen's ancestors were slave holders. That may put her comments about the civil war and slavery in a different light.

vCash
    I'd be more uncomfortable working for a joint whose slogan is, "Our collard greens will move you."
    What's wrong with a little truth in advertising?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
    Deen was on a tv show which traces your ancestry called "Who Do You Think You Are?" and I believe on that episode it was discovered that Deen's ancestors were slave holders. That may put her comments about the civil war and slavery in a different light.
    How so?
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    That would be reasonable. But why mention her father and nieces?
    It's quite likely that the defense attorneys asked the same question -- by means of a motion to dismiss or strike that part of the complaint -- and the Court determined that it was enough to state a claim. Without having read her amended complaint, I would surmise that her claim for racial discrimination is based on some combination of (1) ancestry, (2) perceived -- rather than actual -- ancestry, and (3) family relationships. Or perhaps the defense attorneys did their research and found similar cases where such claims had been allowed.

I can see that if a white woman married a black man, some people would discriminate against her, and, depending on the circumstances, they might do the same thing if it was her sibling, rather than she, who married and had children with a black person.

There was a time in American history when Americans whose family was originally from Sicily and other places like Lebanon, Portugal, and even Ireland weren't considered "white," and I have also read of instances of Jewish and Italian-American people who were mistaken for light-skinned blacks. So her actual or perceived ancestry is relevant.

Ms. Jackson's claim to be the victim of racial discrimination does sound weak. She is, however, entitled to her day in court, and she might be able to prevail on that claim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    How so?

I believe she is showing nostalgia for her past instead of shame.

vCash
    What's bugging me is some of the posts on other sites that state, "well, black people use it all the time". Not all black people use it, and regardless, it doesn't exonerate non-blacks who do.

My favorite one is, however, the poster who said, "The only n-word she doesn't use is Nutrition."

vCash
    LOL. People on FSU need to understand sarcasm.

I see Paula Deen's career going south after this.

vCash
    Also as an employer she needs to be very careful in how she conducts herself and what she says or how she acts. It's not as if these anti-harassment or anti-discrimination laws are new...not that ignorance of the law is a defense.

vCash
    Even if the plaintiff loses this case, she has exposed some things that I'm sure Paula would have preferred kept quiet. Either way, Team Jackson has gotten her by the balls.

vCash
    Article in "People". Dean's facial expression in the picture reminds me of Dana Carvey doing the Church Lady on SNL: "Hmm. Isn't THAT Special." LOL.

"During a deposition where she swore to tell the truth, Ms. Deen recounted having used a racial epithet in the past, speaking largely about a time in American history which was quite different than today," reads the statement given to PEOPLE. "She was born 60 years ago, when America's South had schools that were segregated, different bathrooms, different restaurants and Americans rode in different parts of the bus. This is not today."
    The statement goes on: "To be clear Ms. Deen does not find acceptable the use of this term under any circumstance by anyone nor condone any form of racism or discrimination."

Dean's position is that Yes, she did use the N-word, but it was a long time ago, during a different time in America's history and at a different stage in her life. I can see people buying that argument, unless it can be proven that she has used the N-word relatively recently. I think she might lose her position an FSN and maybe Al Roker won't be cooking side-by-side with her anymore on TODAY, but I think her loyal Southern fans, for the most part, will stay with her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex View Post
    My favorite one is, however, the poster who said, "The only n-word she doesn't use is Nutrition."
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    So that's why she slathers mayonnaise on everything. It's a symbol of white pride.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by siouxdonym View Post
    So that's why she slathers mayonnaise on everything. It's a symbol of white pride.
    You are terrible...

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast