Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

vCash
    I think the drug company that she was shilling for (the makers of the diabetes drug) got a lot of flack for hiring her as a spokesperson, on the basis that maybe she could have avoided becoming diabetic if she hadn't cooked and eaten (and made a ton of money from) all that horrible unhealthy food. And that she got flack for promoting a drug as the way to manage diabetes, rather than a more healthy lifestyle.

I wonder if the drug company was looking for an excuse to drop her....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I would have said Leona Helmsley instead of Martha Stewart, because I don't remember Stewart being so tone-deaf, but, yeah.
    I agree, right after I typed my post, I thought that Leona Helmsley would have been the better comparison. I do find some similarities between Dean and Stewart though...both are businesswomen more successful than many people think they should have a right to be.. Also I remember Martha exaggerating her 'uppity New England' mannerisms similarily to the way Paula makes herself 'down-home Southern' to the point of being a caricature. I did personally enjoy Martha, while I never liked Paula or her cooking.

vCash
    I never found Paula's faux folksiness believable or appealing so I just turned to a different channel.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Martha Stewart was born in Jersey City and grew up in Nutley, NJ. The Connecticut/New England stuff came later. Paula Deen may be exaggerating the folksiness, but Martha Stewart invented her waspiness.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Martha Stewart was born in Jersey City and grew up in Nutley, NJ. The Connecticut/New England stuff came later. Paula Deen may be exaggerating the folksiness, but Martha Stewart invented her waspiness.
    By "waspiness" do you mean a sharp temper? I don't think Martha Stewart ever denied her Catholic Polish-American roots, which certainly aren't WASPy.

I'm also curious about what FunnyBut considers her "uppity New England" mannerisms to be.
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I meant WASPyness, but didn't know how to spell it.

I assume by "uppity New England" mannerisms, she meant WASPy.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    I meant WASPyness, but didn't know how to spell it.

I assume by "uppity New England" mannerisms, she meant WASPy.
    So, what exactly are WASPy mannerisms?
    Lady 2: there isn't anything about me on goooogle, I mean, I must take it off if there is.....
    Lady 3: The google is a terrible thing, I mean I don't want anything on there! (Overheard by millyskate on a London train.)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingfan5 View Post
    So, what exactly are WASPy mannerisms?
    I don't know exactly, but I think maybe what was meant was snobby, privileged, elitest.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_A...xon_Protestant (selected quotes below):

"The term implies the group controls disproportionate social and financial power.[2] The term WASP does not describe every Protestant of English background, but rather a small restricted group whose family wealth and elite connections allow them a degree of privilege held by few others."

"When the term appears in writing, it usually indicates the author's disapproval of the group's perceived excessive power in society. The hostile tone can be seen in an alternative dictionary: "The WASP culture has been the most aggressive, powerful, and arrogant society in the world for the last thousand years, so it is natural that it should receive a certain amount of warranted criticism."

O-

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JJH View Post
    I never found Paula's faux folksiness believable or appealing so I just turned to a different channel.
    This!

True, Paula needed a major "attitude adjustment" and "wake-up" call.
    However, the punishment she is now receiving; along with the vitriol being heaped on her by many, may soon be out of proportion to her actions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I don't know exactly, but I think maybe what was meant was snobby, privileged, elitistO-
    I would add to that, her phony Locust Valley Lockjaw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by skatesindreams View Post
    This!
    However, the punishment she is now receiving; along with the vitriol being heaped on her by many, may soon be out of proportion to her actions.
    It depends. If one believes that Paula is being punished for using the N-word once in her lifetime 30 years ago, like most of her defenders seem to, then yes everything that has happened to her has been very unfair. However, if one reads through the entire civil complaint then it makes sense that all these companies are dropping her like flies.

I wonder if Paula's kitchen products will be 50% or more off at Target and Walmart? I need some new cooking wares ....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisin View Post
    I would add to that, her phony Locust Valley Lockjaw.
    Oh dear, I don't know what that is but it doesn't sound like it is a GOOD THING. My own voice sounds rather like Martha's.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    I never felt one way or another about Paula Deen. And I would never defend her actions or use of the "N" word. That said, the media, as always picks and chooses, what to cover. As of today, she has also lost "Target" and "Home Depot". Over the years, we have had numerous people say and do things with mild, if any, repercussions. Did they lose work?

Jesse Jackson and "Hymietown"

Al Sharpton and the Twana Brawley incident.
    (Sharpton now works for NBC)

Alec Baldwin and his comments re: Henry Hyde and his family being stoned to death. And, last night, he went on a Twitter rant and used gay slurs against a UK journalist. He didn't lose work.

A few weeks ago, Bill Maher, on TV, called Sarah Palin's (Down syndrome) son a "retard" and went on to say that she will fit in with Fox News because she spends all day talking to a Down Syndrome child.

Elliot Spitzer, anyone? He got a TV show.

Last fall, Chris Matthews said that he was glad that Hurricane Sandy occurred, that it was the best thing to happen for the Obama election. He got to apologize and kept his job...while millions of people were rendered homeless by the superstorm.

Just sayin'.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanette;3947153]I never felt one way or another about Paula Deen. And I would never defend her actions or use of the "N" word. That said, the media, as always picks and chooses, what to cover. As of today, she has also lost "Target" and "Home Depot". Over the years, we have had numerous people say and do things with mild, if any, repercussions. Did they lose work?

Alec Baldwin and his comments re: Henry Hyde and his family being stoned to death. And, last night, he went on a Twitter rant and used gay slurs against a UK journalist. He didn't lose work.

A few weeks ago, Bill Maher, on TV, called Sarah Palin's (Down syndrome) son a "retard" and went on to say that she will fit in with Fox News because she spends all day talking to a Down Syndrome child.

Last fall, Chris Matthews said that he was glad that Hurricane Sandy occurred, that it was the best thing to happen for the Obama election. He got to apologize and kept his job...while millions of people were rendered homeless by the superstorm.

Lest we not forget Michael Vick and his ruthless torture of dogs..or the defense of same on "The View" as cultural..signed by the Eagles....

Just sayin'....................

vCash
    I think a lot of the vitriol against Paula is less what she has done and more based on the contrast between her behavior and her image. Alec Baldwin, for example, has an image of being a grade A jerk, so there is no contrast when he acts like one.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    [QUOTE=kwanette;3947161]
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanette View Post
    I never felt one way or another about Paula Deen. And I would never defend her actions or use of the "N" word. That said, the media, as always picks and chooses, what to cover. As of today, she has also lost "Target" and "Home Depot". Over the years, we have had numerous people say and do things with mild, if any, repercussions. Did they lose work?

Lest we not forget Michael Vick and his ruthless torture of dogs..or the defense of same on "The View" as cultural..signed by the Eagles....

Just sayin'....................
    A lot of ordinary people think she's being unfairly treated, especially in light of the above. I think the "boys" are more readily forgiven by the media than women. I also think there will be a backlash against some of her sponsers and her contracts will be reinstated.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    kwanette and rfisher,

President Carter's take:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/06/28/us/geo...een/index.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    I think a lot of the vitriol against Paula is less what she has done and more based on the contrast between her behavior and her image. Alec Baldwin, for example, has an image of being a grade A jerk, so there is no contrast when he acts like one.
    That's how I feel too. And if I remember correctly, there was a lot of backlash.

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VIETgrlTerifa View Post
    That's how I feel too. And if I remember correctly, there was a lot of backlash.
    But he kept his job.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    He's an ass, she's an ass, they'll manage to muddle through this.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast