Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrellH View Post
    I'm not defending Paula, but our society seems to love to tear down those who have made good.
    We revere them first, then resent them and drag them down.
    So very true!

vCash
    But are these people "drag down" with made up controversies or are they themselves responsible for creating their own controversies ?

---

I was at Target today, and all of Paula's cooking products are on clearance sale. I definitely need some new pots & pans
    Last edited by orbitz; 07-05-2013 at 03:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DAngel View Post
    Do people even take celebrity endorsements seriously? (Especially when it comes to medications...)
    If the celebrity endorsements didn't sell things, the companies wouldn't be hiring the celebrities.

PEOPLE magazine had a list of all of Deen's endorsements, and she even had a contract to endorse rugs. Unless the rugs were specially designed for the kitchen or something, I can't see what value there would be in having a cook/restaurant owner endorse them, but there you go....
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    It doesn't even have to be an item that specifically relates to the genre of her profession. If say, a TV show does a special on her home and she plugs her decor, she might get money for that. Or if her cooking show also shows her eating in say, her dining room (ala Giada or Barefoot Contessa), her interior design might have all been paid for by someone who wanted their work on TV.

vCash
    People, absolutely, listen to celebrities endorsements. People listen to celebrities for political guidance as well - go figure.

vCash
    FWIW, Paula has split with her agent and has hired a crisis manager:

http://www.today.com/food/paula-deen...rsy-6C10548868

vCash
    I read that she hired the crisis manager sometime last week.
    Much needed, I think.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Crisis Management 101: Shut the f*ck up.

Class dismissed
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

From the Bloc
    vCash
    What I find interesting is that there's been pretty much no effort from Paula's camp to address anything beyond the n word. Yes, yes it's before the courts so maybe she can't discuss the case, but there's a lot that could be said and done to address the many allegations in the suit. Maybe they were hoping that very few people even noticed it, but if they can refute or at least counter those claims it would go a long way toward rehabilitating her image.

She's also had a lot of vocal supporters among her fans - now she needs a solid plan to retain their loyalty over the long term, and use that as a base to bring back some and more importantly attract others. For starters, I understand she had another book ready to go but the publisher dropped it - they need to go through that with a fine tooth comb, then fund the publishing themselves and use it as a fundraiser. Not for something directly related to the scandal as that would seem to be too much like she was forced - better something she might already have a connection to or something that might appeal to her fans, like say helping single moms start their own businesses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If the celebrity endorsements didn't sell things, the companies wouldn't be hiring the celebrities.

PEOPLE magazine had a list of all of Deen's endorsements, and she even had a contract to endorse rugs. Unless the rugs were specially designed for the kitchen or something, I can't see what value there would be in having a cook/restaurant owner endorse them, but there you go....
    I can totally understand food, rugs, kitchen utensils and many other items... If a celebrity I really like is endorsing a brand of cheesecake, I'd probably try it.

Medications though...

vCash
    I wonder if using celebrities in ads is more to get people to pay attention to the ad in the first place, than to lend any kind of authority. At least for products that aren't related to the celebrity's expertise.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    now she needs a solid plan to retain their loyalty over the long term, and use that as a base to bring back some and more importantly attract others. For starters, I understand she had another book ready to go but the publisher dropped it - they need to go through that with a fine tooth comb, then fund the publishing themselves and use it as a fundraiser. Not for something directly related to the scandal as that would seem to be too much like she was forced - better something she might already have a connection to or something that might appeal to her fans, like say helping single moms start their own businesses.
    Now she needs to go away. Not because I don't like her but because that's what celebrities who have successfully rehabilitated themselves have done. They go away, let someone else do something stupid and take the heat and the spotlight and come back later when we've all forgotten and the shrillness has died down. Then you act all contrite. Which is easier to do when you've also calmed down.

The public is pretty forgiving and most of the time that works a treat. But you have to go away first.
    Actual bumper sticker series: Jesus is my co-pilot. Satan is my financial advisor. Budha is my therapist. L. Ron Hubbard owes me $50.

vCash
    I actually lost a few real life friends for speaking out against this on Facebook. Funny thing is, I was trying to figure out how to cut them out of my life since they're pretty toxic to begin with.

Since this whole Paula thing began, I've only read of one employee of hers who has spoken out in her defense. Have more done it? Or are they all just silent about the whole thing? Seems odd that they're not all out front and center talking about her - that to me would be the first thing I'd do as her publicist, agent, crisis manager, butter fryer - get the employees to talk about Paula the boss. Or does the silence mean that it's all true?

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    I think they're smart to wait until they're deposed or called to testify at a civil trial.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    D'oh, the low-40s is, like, Rick James-level. Yow.
    Damn - have you ever been near a person with Type 1 diabetes whose Blood Sugars ran in the 40's? I have been, it is very dangerous and life threatening. I've been around people with Type 2 diabetes whose blood sugars have bottomed out. It is not fun trying to get a glucose loading dose into an unconscious person. Or one that is seizing.

And perhaps heckles has not have an annual physical done recently. Both my husband and I have had a full chemistry panel and A1C done as part of those physicals. My husband's parents and his maternal aunt and uncle in law had type 2 diabetes and my husband's A1C has been slightly elevated. The doctor continues to monitor it, but my husband has been following a good diet/exercise plan for the last 10 years. So despite your best efforts, genetics can win out. Or maybe our physicians do a better job at screenings?

vCash
    An extortionist threatened Paula:
    http://www.cnn.com/2013/07/05/showbi...html?hpt=hp_c2

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasey View Post
    Crisis Management 101: Shut the f*ck up.

Class dismissed
    apple for teacher

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    According to this report, while Random House has refused to go ahead with publishing her latest book, her back list sales have shot up:
    http://www.salon.com/2013/07/05/paul...in_book_sales/

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Guy Fieri doesn't also promote a drug for diabetes.

I actually enjoy that show - I wouldn't eat a lot of it, but he features a lot of people doing really interesting things that are healthier, promote different cultures and cuisines, support local agriculture and celebrate small business. I'm not saying that excuses the mega cheeseburgers or his own weight, but it's why I watch the show.
    I like the show because I'm fascinated by the huge amounts that go into creating restaurant batches, especially the spices. I don't see that many processed ingredients in the restaurants he showcases, either. Ketchup is the most common one I see.

Portion control, though, is not a common element.

Quote Originally Posted by orbitz View Post
    Well people buy stuffs from TV infomercials so why wouldn't some of them buy celebrity endorsed products. Never under estimate the gullibility (and often stupidity) of your fellow human beings.
    I think TV infomercials work because their repetitiveness lulls you into a hypnotic trance. Most of the ones I've seen that weren't for cosmetics or skin care aren't celebrity-based.

Quote Originally Posted by numbers123 View Post
    Damn - have you ever been near a person with Type 1 diabetes whose Blood Sugars ran in the 40's? I have been, it is very dangerous and life threatening. I've been around people with Type 2 diabetes whose blood sugars have bottomed out. It is not fun trying to get a glucose loading dose into an unconscious person. Or one that is seizing.
    I don't know what his blood sugar levels were, but one of my former co-workers, a generally gentle guy who had an insulin pump, used to get aggressive whenever he needed sugar. We worked in a snarky, aggressive place, so when he'd start to get cranky, which didn't happen often, I just assumed he had reached his limit, but then he'd pound his desk, I'd run to the kitchen and grab some orange juice, he'd drink it -- happily he never refused -- and within minutes he was back to calm.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    It's interesting that the media has been quick to report companies that are severing their ties with Dean, but are pretty much ignoring those that are not. There is a local company that markets under her brand. They ran an article in the local paper how they are not severing ties and felt she'd done all she could do with her apology. I guess that's not nearly as salacious as the main stream media's intent.
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    I don't know what his blood sugar levels were, but one of my former co-workers, a generally gentle guy who had an insulin pump, used to get aggressive whenever he needed sugar. We worked in a snarky, aggressive place, so when he'd start to get cranky, which didn't happen often, I just assumed he had reached his limit, but then he'd pound his desk, I'd run to the kitchen and grab some orange juice, he'd drink it -- happily he never refused -- and within minutes he was back to calm.
    I have all sorts of reactions. Typically I just suddenly will feel weak and kind of sick to my stomach and immediately know what's happening, but a couple times I've suddenly burst into tears about the most menial things, confusing the crap out of the people around me, even though I don't even feel sad or angry or anything! I did this in a staff meeting at EMU once and my director was completely caught off-guard and was like, "why are you crying??" And I said, "I have no idea!"

I figured it out shortly thereafter though. Luckily, I don't think I've ever gotten aggressive or anything.

Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1119202122 LastLast