Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AliasJohnDoe View Post
    She literally said "I is what I is" (30 second mark) : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOVb1sgjTSo
    Wow, does she look horrible. If she's trying to garner sympathy, I'm not sure that looking like you pounded back shots of bourbon all of last night is going to help...
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

Blergh
    vCash
    The only people who think she's only being "crucified" for using the N-Word are those who either came into this controversy much later than when it started, Paula Deen supporters, and/or people who think she's a victim of political correctness and anti-Southern or elitist urban attitudes.

vCash
    I never liked Paula Deen at all. And I liked her a whole lot less when, as the years went by, she made her Southern drawl more pronounced and started throwing in "y'all" after every sentence. She never seemed the least bit genuine or likeable to me. I could be wrong about her; I don't know her.

In any event, we tend to be a very tolerant society with much more important matters, like Bill Clinton, and his total oval office cluster-f&^k. He lied, apologized, and remained in office.

This is Paula Deen, who is of little consequence. Yet, it's interesting that there is, at least figuratively speaking, a lynch mob after her (pun intended), and all those allegations haven't yet been proven. I'm not saying she deserves or doesn't deserve what she's getting -- I don't think I'm in any position to make those decisions without all the information.

But the lynch mob mentality is indeed alive and living, and it seems a lot of folks are enjoying watching Paula Deen's downfall.

O-

vCash
    People are interested because it has every aspect of a good trainwreck. She's a successful business woman who has built her empire on the lowbrow image she cultivates. But now a dark side of that 'simple old southern charm' has been revealed, including some real outdated notions of prejudice and discrimination. Throw in her desperate apologies, dramatic biblical references , horrible grammar, and overdone doll-eyes, and you've got Martha Stewart , Tammy Faye Baker and Real Undereducated Housewives of Savannah in one package.

One some level I do feel sorry for her, she and her family have worked very hard to build this business. But I can't stop watching, it's a guilty pleasure greater than butter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    But the lynch mob mentality is indeed alive and living, and it seems a lot of folks are enjoying watching Paula Deen's downfall.
    I always scratch my head when I hear people cite this mob mentality, as if Paula is somehow an unfortunate victim in all this.

This mob mentality has been self-generated for the most part if you ask me. Truth is her PR Team has completely and utterly failed her from the get-go of this scandal. These awkward, nonsensical interviews have done nothing but exponentially fuel public speculation of her supposed racism. Granted, she may not be a hardcore racist at heart, but it's now abundantly clear to the public that she (at the very least) has a complete lack of understanding regarding race relations, prejudice and racial sensitivity as it is viewed today--and that's being very generous, if the allegations against her are proven true.

At best, some would say that's ignorance, at worse, racism. In either case, however, it is in direct opposition to the innocuous, wholesome, sweet grandma persona Paula has cultivated and based her entire empire on.

Let's be honest, she's not a chef. All her meals consist of three main ingredients in copious amounts: butter, sugar and fat. Hardly a creative or unique approach to cooking, and I highly doubt it requires much skill or culinary education. What she's selling, and what her sponsors have bought into, is her personality. That is her product.

She signed contracts with people promising to uphold and maintain the integrity of her wholesome image. That image has now been compromised, so naturally businesses are terminating their relationship with her.

This is free market capitalism, no?

People cry lynch mob, or impeding of free speech, or whatever, but she entered into these relationships knowing full well what was expected of her. And now she's facing the consequences of her actions.

Is it too severe? Should her entire livelihood be undermined?

Well, if your livelihood is predicated on marketing and selling a brand that connotes a clean, wholesome image, then it's more than reasonable IMO to end a relationship with said brand if that image changes.

And with Paula, it did.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FunnyBut View Post
    Throw in her desperate apologies, dramatic biblical references , horrible grammar, and overdone doll-eyes, and you've got Martha Stewart , Tammy Faye Baker and Real Undereducated Housewives of Savannah in one package.
    I must be missing something because I would not have thrown Martha Stewart in that basket.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OliviaPug View Post
    I never liked Paula Deen at all. And I liked her a whole lot less when, as the years went by, she made her Southern drawl more pronounced and started throwing in "y'all" after every sentence. She never seemed the least bit genuine or likeable to me. I could be wrong about her; I don't know her.

In any event, we tend to be a very tolerant society with much more important matters, like Bill Clinton, and his total oval office cluster-f&^k. He lied, apologized, and remained in office.

This is Paula Deen, who is of little consequence. Yet, it's interesting that there is, at least figuratively speaking, a lynch mob after her (pun intended), and all those allegations haven't yet been proven. I'm not saying she deserves or doesn't deserve what she's getting -- I don't think I'm in any position to make those decisions without all the information.

O-
    People are interested because it has every aspect of a good trainwreck. She's a successful business woman who has built her empire on the lowbrow image she cultivates. But now a dark side of that 'simple old southern charm' has been revealed, including some real outdated notions of prejudice and discrimination. Throw in her desperate apologies, dramatic biblical references , horrible grammar, and overdone doll-eyes, and you've got Martha Stewart , Tammy Faye Baker and Real Undereducated Housewives of Savannah in one package.

One some level I do feel sorry for her, she and her family have worked very hard to build this business. But I can't stop watching, it's a guilty pleasure greater than butter.
    Addressing both of the above posts. I think that Deen, like Martha Stewart and Tammy Faye, is an unlikeable person to begin with. She exaggerates and takes advantage of, all of the "lowbrow" traits that unfairly represent people from the southern states. I have always thought she was a phony and never thought of her as much of a cook. Maybe, I just don't care for her style of cooking, but it is generally so unhealthy. I think that people like to see someone get their come uppance, more than watch someone respectable get destroyed. If she were a more likable, trustworthy person, and if people really thought this was an aberration in her personality, they might not be so up in arms.

Jenny, I would absolutely throw Martha Stewart in that basket. She went to jail for tax evasion and from reports from former employees and from family members, she is a cold hearted beyotch. There are pretty reliable accounts of her stepping on people's necks to get what she wanted.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    Actually it was securities fraud - basically insider trading - and not tax evasion. I've always heard that she expects a great deal from her employees, but never that she's unfair or any of the kind of thing in the suit against Paula Deen and her brother.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Novo Nordisk (they make the diabetes drug she was a spokesperson for) and Home Depot have dropped her.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Actually it was securities fraud - basically insider trading - and not tax evasion. I've always heard that she expects a great deal from her employees, but never that she's unfair or any of the kind of thing in the suit against Paula Deen and her brother.
    You're right, it was securities fraud. My mistake. However, I've read and heard interviews that she treated her mother horribly. And that she was horrible to employees and other family members. I forget, now, which of her family members I heard interviewed, but they said she'd sell her mother if she thought she could make a buck. And I know this is in no way factual, but she just comes across as a bitch.

engaged to dupa
    vCash
    Creating a hostile work environment is the criticism I've heard about Martha Stewart.
    3539 and counting.

Slightly Wounding Banana list cont: MacMadame.

Corgi Wrangler
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Japanfan View Post
    So you get half-frozen beer or half-frozen butter in a deep fried batter? It doesn't sound very appealing to me. Nor does the fried Mars Bar, Oreo, etc. - back in those cases at least understand how some people might like it.
    Most stuff goes into the fryer frozen. It cooks better and minimizes the chances of a grease fire when liquid hits 350-degree oil. I'm thinking you must end up with a buttery or beer-y thing of batter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    Creating a hostile work environment is the criticism I've heard about Martha Stewart.
    That, and using company money to pay for personal expenses such as vacations.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe.

From the Bloc
    vCash
    I can see where Martha would come off as a bitch to some, and where there would be multiple reports that she was a tough employer - she's a perfectionist, and I get the sense she's tougher on herself than anyone. Disgruntled/fired/couldn't hack it employees will often say that, just as happy employees will praise her vision and leadership in setting the bar high.

In Paula's case, the employee suing her has laid out specific instances that point to racism, sexual harassment, etc - are there specifics claims out there against Martha, or just generalisms like she's a bitch?

As for her mother, I saw her on the show a bunch of times and thought it was funny that there was this tiny woman who was apparently the only person who could tell Martha she was doing something wrong in the kitchen. I thought they had a close relationship, so would be interested to see the stories that say Martha treated her mother badly. I have heard that she didn't get along with her daughter for many years, but then again, that's not uncommon, especially in cases where parents are divorced. I love my mother, but there have certainly been times where we did not get along at all.

And is there a link re using company money to pay for personal expenses? In every company I've ever worked for, the owners and/or executives had a lot of privileges that often gave the impression they were using their powers as they shouldn't, but in fact were legitimate based on the structure of the company and/or the terms of their employment. I've had a few of those perks myself

I'm not trying to defend Martha here - just trying to make the point that Paula's situation is completely different. Open to changing my mind though, if anyone can tell me more.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Throw in her desperate apologies, dramatic biblical references , horrible grammar, and overdone doll-eyes, and you've got Martha Stewart , Tammy Faye Baker and Real Undereducated Housewives of Savannah in one package.
    I would have said Leona Helmsley instead of Martha Stewart, because I don't remember Stewart being so tone-deaf, but, yeah.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

Watch me move
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Not the kind of treatment of employees that's alleged in the Deen lawsuit, but in the securities fraud thing, she basically threw a lower-level brokerage employee under the bus, and tried to get him to take the rap:
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Jul23.html

There's a very good discussion of how she treated this guy in the book Twisted Lies by James B. Stewart [no relation].
    Who wants to watch rich people eat pizza? They must have loved that in Bangladesh. - Randy Newman on the 2014 Oscars broadcast

vCash
    Addressing both of the above posts. I think that Deen, like Martha Stewart and Tammy Faye, is an unlikeable person to begin with. She exaggerates and takes advantage of, all of the "lowbrow" traits that unfairly represent people from the southern states. I have always thought she was a phony and never thought of her as much of a cook. Maybe, I just don't care for her style of cooking, but it is generally so unhealthy. I think that people like to see someone get their come uppance, more than watch someone respectable get destroyed. If she were a more likable, trustworthy person, and if people really thought this was an aberration in her personality, they might not be so up in arms.
    Living in the south - Georgia - now, I have heard a lot of defense of Paula. But I will say as far as her cooking goes that it reminds many southerners around here of his or her mother's cooking, grandmother's cooking, etc. I have a different background, but I will admit to using some of her dishes (especially desserts and casseroles) for pot lucks and events because they are popular. And I will gladly admit that I love her sour cream muffins that are the most unhealthy things ever. I could eat a whole batch in one sitting and die early and happy.

Internet Beyotch
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by milanessa View Post
    So in that one instance she does have something in common with Paula Deen.
    "Cupcakes are bullshit. And everyone knows it. A cupcake is just a muffin with clown puke topping." -Charlie Brooker

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBZ View Post
    She signed contracts with people promising to uphold and maintain the integrity of her wholesome image. That image has now been compromised, so naturally businesses are terminating their relationship with her.
    Wholesome image? She has always been overtly tacky and ebullient, not to mention rather candid about her trashy past and present, especially in regards to her drunk first husband. She has rarely presented herself as anything other than a bawdy broad. Pompous prigs with 2x4s up their rears disliked her immensely, and now they can celebrate her downfall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by heckles View Post
    Wholesome image? She has always been overtly tacky and ebullient, not to mention rather candid about her trashy past and present, especially in regards to her drunk first husband. She has rarely presented herself as anything other than a bawdy broad. Pompous prigs with 2x4s up their rears disliked her immensely, and now they can celebrate her downfall.
    Must one have a trellis up their butt to think Deen has no class, what so ever? I don't celebrate her downfall. I never thought she was up high enough to fall.

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast