Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

vCash

Lawsuit Alleges that Paula Deen Used N-Word and Had Racist Dinner Parties

I am no fan of Ms. Deen's cooking, but I really hope this is not true....

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...ing-dinner-par
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    If this is true (and I believe it is) I wonder how Food Network is going to keep her employed. I can't imagine them wanting to be linked with someone who professes those views.

vCash
    Not the first time I've heard of this stuff involving her and her brother.
    Give me one more quiet night, before this loud morning gets it right, and does me in.
    ~DC

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    I am a little confused, though. Can you just sue someone for using the N word? I don't think so. If she didn't throw the word at someone then I don't see how you can turn around and sue. I can't sue every person who has ever said something that I found offensive. I work with special needs children and have a special needs nephew. Can I sue the next person who uses the word retard? Free speech, remember? Also, can you sue someone for coming up with an ultra disgusting theme idea for a dinner party? Based on what merits? I find it in extremely poor taste to want a dinner party with slave wait staff but if that's what she wants and people are willing to take the job FOR PAY then what is legally wrong here? Nothing. Maybe someone involved in law can tell us what actual basis she is being sued on. We can't sue someone every time someone does something we don't like.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!
    vCash
    Multicultural bonding, Paula Deen style

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv8yEMRDe_w

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigB08822 View Post
    I am a little confused, though. Can you just sue someone for using the N word? I don't think so.
    If I understand the article correctly, the person filing the lawsuit is accusing Deen and her brother of racial and sexual discrimination affecting her employment with them. So the use of the N-word is part of that alleged pattern of behaviour.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    I know this whole situation is no laughing matter, but I had to love this snarky statement on Twitter:

Mat Johnson ‏@mat_johnson 33m
    I'm willing to serve at Paula Deen's slave feast if she's willing to follow it with a reenactment of Nat Turner's Rebellion.

EDIT: Nat Turner was a slave in Virginia; he led a bloody slave rebellion in 1831.
    Last edited by dardar1126; 06-19-2013 at 10:17 PM.

vCash
    There's a whole thread on Twitter of #paulasbestdishes that is pretty hilarious. Like "don't speak until spoken tu-na salad"

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    If I understand the article correctly, the person filing the lawsuit is accusing Deen and her brother of racial and sexual discrimination affecting her employment with them. So the use of the N-word is part of that alleged pattern of behaviour.
    That makes sense. Thanks.
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Twitter:

The Associated Press ‏@AP 6m
    Celebrity cook Paula Deen says she has used racial slurs, but she doesn't tolerate hateful behavior: http://apne.ws/1bWWzgD -MM

vCash
    Paula Dean is only being honest and unPC. I personally find it quite refreshing. And she's Southern, right? So, English may not be her first language and she may have been misinterpreted.

I have no idea what a racist dinner party would entail.

vCash
    Twitter:

Hunter Walker ‏@hunterw 2m
    Read full transcript of Paula Deen's controversial comments on using the N word and "southern style" weddings here http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2...een-racial.php

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by overedge View Post
    The plaintiff is, in fact, white, but nevertheless alleges racial discrimination:

And Jackson, who is white, now alleges her father is Sicilian with extremely dark complexion that “has been mistaken for being African-American” and that she has experienced “prejudice and discrimination on account of this familial association.”

She also alleges her two nieces are biracial.

Defense attorneys have contended in court filings that because Jackson is white she cannot claim racial discrimination.

Her amended complaint has added several alleged violations of federal civil rights acts against racial discrimination in a hostile work environment and disparate treatment in her employment.
    http://savannahnow.com/news/2012-04-...s#.UcIwBOePxn8

By the way, we had another thread about this case last year: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...nd-her-brother

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    Paula Dean is only being honest and unPC. I personally find it quite refreshing. And she's Southern, right? So, English may not be her first language and she may have been misinterpreted.
    Are you serious?

vCash
    And when asked if she wanted black men to play the role of slaves at a wedding she explained she got the idea from a restaurant her husband and her had dined at saying, “The whole entire waiter staff was middle-aged black men, and they had on beautiful white jackets with a black bow tie.

“I mean, it was really impressive. That restaurant represented a certain era in America … after the Civil War, during the Civil War, before the Civil War…It was not only black men, it was black women … I would say they were slaves.”
    What the hell kind of restaurant were they at? And while most people view slavery as a very dark and shameful part of our country's history, Paula apparently thinks that era was just precious.
    Paula Dean is only being honest and unPC.
    I don't know if you're being serious, but there is a difference in being unPC and being an ignorant racist bitch.

Port de bras!!!
    vCash
    The plaintiff is white but alleges racial discrimination because her father is olive skinned and her nieces are bi-racial?
    "Nature is a damp, inconvenient sort of place where birds and animals wander about uncooked."

from Speedy Death

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Grannyfan View Post
    Are you serious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitneyskates View Post
    I don't know if you're being serious, but there is a difference in being unPC and being an ignorant racist bitch.
    You two need to read FSU more. manhn was satirizing what a lot of people say when some Eastern European skater says something stupid about the US. The "southern" should have been your tip off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by manhn View Post
    refreshing. And she's Southern, right? So, English may not be her first language and she may have been misinterpreted.
    Seriously?

vCash
    You two need to read FSU more. manhn was satirizing what a lot of people say when some Eastern European skater says something stupid about the US. The "southern" should have been your tip off.
    I don't know why I didn't catch that

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IceAlisa View Post
    The plaintiff is white but alleges racial discrimination because her father is olive skinned and her nieces are bi-racial?
    Could she claim a hostile work place? I'm white, but if someone around me was making racist comments all the time, I would definitely be uncomfortable. Well, *I* would call them out, but maybe others aren't comfortable doing that.

Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast