Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

JSF decides whether specifies Ando as certified athlete by the preliminary comptition

JSF intends to observe her in the preliminary competition of Japan Nationals for deciding whether specifies Ando who returned to the competition as the certified athlete.
    June 19th, 2013

By Kyodo News
    In June 19th, Hideto Iot, the chairperson of figure skating department of Japan Skating Federation, released that they send a member of reinforcement part to the area block event of the preliminary competition of Japan Nationals for observing Miki Ando who is the former Worlds champion and plans to return to the Sochi Olympics season.
    It says that it decides whether or not to specify to the certified athlete who can participate to the international competition.
    Because Ando who continued the rest for a long time did not the entry to GP series, it is the condition for participating to Olympics to clear the minimum technical point which ISU specified. Ito chairperson said, "The reinforcement part goes to observe her to the area block event. If her result is good, we specifies her to the certified athlete and lets her go to get the minimum technical point to an international competition. There is a road to Olympics for her yet". Ando must break through the preliminary competition, too, because she must participate to Japan Nationals which the Japan representative of Olympics is selected in.

The article:
    JSF intends to observe her in the preliminary competition of Japan Nationals for deciding whether specifies Ando who returned to the competition as the certified athlete.
    http://sportsnavi.yahoo.co.jp/sports...00051-kyodo_sp

vCash
    has she got a coach?

vCash
    come on miki, rock that thing

vCash
    According to the new selection standard of Olympic representative of Japan Skating Federation, the 1st entry among the 3 entries for Sochi Olympics which Japan have selects the winner of Japan Nationals.
    Therefore, for miserable Miki Ando who is out of GP series, the world standing and ISU season best score, a few opportunity for participating to Sochi Olympics would be reserved yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Akira Andrea View Post
    According to the new selection standard of Olympic representative of Japan Skating Federation, the 1st entry among the 3 entries for Sochi Olympics which Japan have selects the winner of Japan Nationals.
    Therefore, for miserable Miki Ando who is out of GP series, the world standing and ISU season best score, a few opportunity for participating to Sochi Olympics would be reserved yet.
    bad mouth would say, japanese fed did all they could

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    bad mouth would say, japanese fed did all they could
    However, this selecting method gives the chance being able to participate to Sochi Olympics to all participant of Japan Nationals.
    For a player and for a fan, it is better than nothing to be even a few chance because of being able to keep a motivation.

vCash
    Japan Nats will be really tough again

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Japan Nats will be really tough again
    I love you for this!! lololol!!!

vCash
    However, this selecting method gives the chance being able to participate to Sochi Olympics to all participant of Japan Nationals.
    For a player and for a fan, it is better than nothing to be even a few chance because of being able to keep a motivation.
    that's for sure; I never was a fan of their method to send the best of the gpf, because some grand prixs were harder to get on podium than others to win. (although i have to admit that this rule secures andos 2010 spot, which she, in my opinion have earned despite her 4th place finish at nationals anyway).

but what i want to say, for me this seems more like a 'open' rule, to let the japanese fed decides who they want to sent to sochi.
    for skaters like nishino, imai, oda, machida it'll be he really hard to get to sochi, if they place 2nd or 3rd.

let's see what happened; i so badly want to see ando back on the ice and back in the game, but this is the first thing to happen, so we'll see.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Did I misunderstand the selection criteria? I thought only skater in first place at Nationals was guaranteed a spot in Sochi, and the silver and bronze medalists would be considered along with gold and silver medalists from GPF, skaters with the three highest Season's Best scores and the three highest World Standings placements by the end of Japanese Nationals.

Ando has no WS points, and the most she could earn is 500 by winning two fall Senior B's; that would make her the 11th Japanese woman on the WS list. The Japanese Federation document mentions top 3 Season's Best score by the end of Japanese Nationals, which suggests they are using scores from the Fall, but are they using the ISU definition? If they do use the ISU definition, they could possibly send her to Nebelhorn, if there's enough room, because Nebelhorn, as the Olympic qualifier, counts towards the 2013-14 SB list. If they mean scores earned at any ISU-recognized international, then they could send her to any number of fall competitions. She isn't eligible for any GP spot except a host pick, which means Suzuki, Asada, or Miyahara would have to withdraw.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    The GPF rule allowed Onda instead of Arakawa to go to SLC back in 2002, which was extremely unfair because Arakawa skated in tougher GPs and also skated better in them than Onda did in hers. The 2002 team should have been Suguri and Arakawa.

If Ando were to come back and the Japanese Fed were to send her to Sochi, Suzuki is probably at the most risk of being sacrificed. Asada is still a medal hope and Murakami is the future hope. Honestly though, I hope the Japanese Fed would let the skating speaks for itself. They pushed Ando to Turin despite her Nationals placement and it backfired for them. And do we know if Ando requested GP assignments at all? I am not sure if she even had a coach or even publicly confirmed her comeback. Without GP assignments, Ando is going to be so untested at Sochi anyway. (she will only have to achieve the minimum score at some random competition probably...)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Did I misunderstand the selection criteria? I thought only skater in first place at Nationals was guaranteed a spot in Sochi, and the silver and bronze medalists would be considered along with gold and silver medalists from GPF, skaters with the three highest Season's Best scores and the three highest World Standings placements by the end of Japanese Nationals.

Ando has no WS points, and the most she could earn is 500 by winning two fall Senior B's; that would make her the 11th Japanese woman on the WS list. The Japanese Federation document mentions top 3 Season's Best score by the end of Japanese Nationals, which suggests they are using scores from the Fall, but are they using the ISU definition? If they do use the ISU definition, they could possibly send her to Nebelhorn, if there's enough room, because Nebelhorn, as the Olympic qualifier, counts towards the 2013-14 SB list. If they mean scores earned at any ISU-recognized international, then they could send her to any number of fall competitions. She isn't eligible for any GP spot except a host pick, which means Suzuki, Asada, or Miyahara would have to withdraw.
    All the Japanese Fed needs to do to ensure Ando is eligible for selection is to send her to some competition for her to achieve the minimum score and make sure she places top 3 at Nationals (with some inflated PCS and some URs for Suzuki like they did in 2009).

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I was trying to figure out how that statement that "However, this selecting method gives the chance being able to participate to Sochi Olympics to all participant of Japan Nationals" pertained to the the selection process, apart from the top skater being guaranteed a spot and the second and third being considered, but not guaranteed a spot. If it means that all skaters participating at Japanese Nationals have a chance to place 1, 2, or 3, this makes sense.

There's no definition of "Season's Best," i.e., whether they are using the ISU definition, which, for Fall 2013-14 would include scores from Nebelhorn, JGP's, JGPF, GP, and GPF, or if it includes all Senior internationals. If the former, then they'd have to send her to Nebelhorn, but the fields are limited and not all countries that have already earned spots at the Olympics will be able to send someone, or replace a Japanese skater at NHK. Otherwise, a podium finish at Japanese Nationals is Ando's only chance to meet the selection criteria.
    "The team doesn't get automatic capacity because management is mad" -- Greg Smith, agile guy

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    All the Japanese Fed needs to do to ensure Ando is eligible for selection is to send her to some competition for her to achieve the minimum score and make sure she places top 3 at Nationals (with some inflated PCS and some URs for Suzuki like they did in 2009).
    remember ando won bronze this year at worlds with great programs, finished the worlds as best japanese. torino was the only 'downfall' of her. since 2004 miki was never 3rd ranked japanese at any worlds. she won, was best or 2nd of the japanese girls.

don't misunderstand me; i like suzukis fire and murakami, not to speak of asada, and it's sad to see, that surely (if ando comes back) one of them has to stay at home. but please let the skating speak for itself, ando has to prove she's on form and to be honest, she has one shot at nationals, suzuki and murakami ca build momentum during gp series, but they have to prove too taht they're no headcases like seen in earlier times.

vCash
    I was trying to figure out how that statement that "However, this selecting method gives the chance being able to participate to Sochi Olympics to all participant of Japan Nationals" pertained to the the selection process, apart from the top skater being guaranteed a spot and the second and third being considered, but not guaranteed a spot. If it means that all skaters participating at Japanese Nationals have a chance to place 1, 2, or 3, this makes sense.

There's no definition of "Season's Best," i.e., whether they are using the ISU definition, which, for Fall 2013-14 would include scores from Nebelhorn, JGP's, JGPF, GP, and GPF, or if it includes all Senior internationals. If the former, then they'd have to send her to Nebelhorn, but the fields are limited and not all countries that have already earned spots at the Olympics will be able to send someone, or replace a Japanese skater at NHK. Otherwise, a podium finish at Japanese Nationals is Ando's only chance to meet the selection criteria.
    Sorry, my comment is not the result of the strict considering.
    I simply felt "That the 1st entry among the 3 entries for the Sochi Olympics is decided to the winner of Japan Nationals is meaning that anybody who has won in Japan Nationals has a chance to participate to Sochi Olympics".

Almost you are right. But, as for Miki Ando, she can't participate to Nebelhorn in September, because she must participate to "Chubu championships 2013" which is the first step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals, in same September at least.

After observing the result of Miki Ando in the said competition in September, JSF decides whether sending her to some international competitions after September for getting minimum technical point.
    Therefore, she can't get ISU season best score.
    Moreover, Miki Ando must participate to "West Japan Championship 2013" which is the second step of the preliminary competiton of Japan Nationals in November.
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 06-20-2013 at 03:59 PM.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    But, as for Miki Ando, she can't participate to Nebelhorn in September, because she must participate to "Chubu championships 2013" which is the first step of preliminary competition of Japan Nationals, in same September at least.

After observing the result of Miki Ando in the said competition in September, JSF decides whether sending her to some international competitions after September for getting minimum technical point.
    Therefore, she can't get ISU season best score.
    Moreover, Miki Ando must participate to "West Japan Championship 2013" which is the second step of the preliminary competiton of Japan Nationals in November.
    Many thanks Akira Andrea!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeschke View Post
    remember ando won bronze this year at worlds with great programs, finished the worlds as best japanese. torino was the only 'downfall' of her. since 2004 miki was never 3rd ranked japanese at any worlds. she won, was best or 2nd of the japanese girls.
    Ando hasn't competed in championships since she won Worlds in 2011. Her last international competitionwas the Japan Open in October 2011, where she was last, almost 20 points behind Czisny. She hasn't announced that she has a coach or any programs.

It isn't impossible, by any means, for her to come back, but she has a lot of work to do.

vCash
    Many thanks Akira Andrea!
    Ando hasn't competed in championships since she won Worlds in 2011. Her last international competitionwas the Japan Open in October 2011, where she was last, almost 20 points behind Czisny. She hasn't announced that she has a coach or any programs.

It isn't impossible, by any means, for her to come back, but she has a lot of work to do.
    yes, my point was only, suzuki did herself no favours in being an absolut headcase at 2 of 3 worlds she has been to. she got a silver medal with not the best competition, but i'm happy for her, because silver is closer where she belongs to than 12th or 13th.
    so suzuki and murakami udn everyone else just should show that they deserve this spot too like miki has to do the same thing too.

i doubt we will see her again, this would answer all questions, but who knows.

she has a sp which was prepared for last season to 'lawrence of arabia', choreo by lambiel, but there is not too much time for a fs, coaches, etc., you're right.

i just wanted to point out, that she always has been there and delivered when it has counted; (despite torino, where she was really young and a lot of pressure on her and gothenburg 2008 with her injury)

vCash

Ando is in negotiation with a coach now.

This is an article in "Kyodo News" in Japan.
    Translating to English from Japanese.

At present, she is training in the domestic base.
    June 28th, 2013 JST

June 28th, Miki Ando who is the former Worlds champion and comes back to the competition in the Sochi Olympics season, disclosed that she is in negotiation about the coach who is vacant seat now, saying "I am in negotiation with a coach. I releases it if it has been decided 100%".
    She places a practice base in the domestic at present and plans to go to US for the choreography of the free program in July.

Ando maintained that she had been prohibited to participate to the ice show because she didn't participate to the GP series in last year. Ando said, "I am in situation that I can't announce a goal now because JSF does not give me the opportunity, too, to participate to the international event yet".

The article:
    http://www.47news.jp/CN/201306/CN2013062801002637.html
    Last edited by Akira Andrea; 06-28-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    The GPF rule allowed Onda instead of Arakawa to go to SLC back in 2002, which was extremely unfair because Arakawa skated in tougher GPs and also skated better in them than Onda did in hers. The 2002 team should have been Suguri and Arakawa.
    Somehow I don't think Arakawa is too upset about the way things turned out.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    Somehow I don't think Arakawa is too upset about the way things turned out.
    No, but I am since I think Arakawa would have been much more pleasing to watch in both SLC and Worlds that season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast