Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    I don't think the NOC's should be creating different criteria than the ISU or any other governing body of sport recognized by the IOC as the representative for that sport, but there's nothing in the rules to stop them. I think that should be changed.

Gjersen score almost twenty points higher at Nebelhorn than she did at Euros, but if this year's scores are similar to last year's, she would be about 8 points short of 8th Place with her Nebelhorn score. Three out of the top eight are likely to be the Russian women, plus Kostner and Marchei, the Helgesson sisters, if Joshi Helgesson is back, and that will leave a lot of competition for the other two places. Lafuente, Meite, Weinzierl, and Glebova have scored higher in a number of competitions. Were Norway's the same as Belgium's, Gjersen would have a very good chance if she skated well.

Hendrickx, on the other hand, has scored well over the 175 that was 12th last year three times so far this season:

Finlandia Senior Men 5 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 199.75
    NRW Trophy Senior Men 3 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 190.84
    Warsaw Cup Senior Men 2 Jorik HENDRICKX BEL 187.75

Even adding in a third Russian man, he should be able to meet the criterion.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    So based on the Czech criteria that Oubik posted, the Czech Olympic team will be:
    Ladies: Elizaveta Ukolova (even though she lost Nationals to Brezinova)
    Men: Michal Brezina, Tomas Verner

According to a Norwegian poster on GoldenSkate, A-L Gjersem's coach has managed to persuade NOC to stop being idiots, pointing out how she's the first Norwegian lady to qualify in 40 years as well. Top 8 is no longer required however she is expected to skate decently, whatever that means. If she bombs, she's out of Olympics. That sounds fair.

vCash
    Brilliant news, thanks Ziggy!

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    That's great news!
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I donít know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    That is a great news.
    The officers do not realize that the stress only adds up weight to skaters...

At the same time I am still confused. The NOC must send a form with names no later than 11/1/14 to the ISU. In her case that is before the EC. God forbid she bombs at the EC, the Norwegian OC would then cancel their participation and the spot will then go the the next in line? There is almost no time left for that.
    This is very unlikely scenario.

Again the stress factor...

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    This happens every Olympic year. There's nothing obligating a country to submitting a name to SOCHI after submitting it to the ISU. Norway could submit Gjersem's name by the earlier deadline.

The earlier deadline has not stopped USFS and Skate Canada from selecting their teams later or from other Nations from using Europeans to decide their teams. Perhaps the countries list all of the possible skaters, which for the US might be the top five skaters for the disciplines that have been completed, any injured top skater who could petition for a spot, and all age-eligible skaters in any discipline that has not finished by the deadline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    This happens every Olympic year. There's nothing obligating a country to submitting a name to SOCHI after submitting it to the ISU. Norway could submit Gjersem's name by the earlier deadline.

The earlier deadline has not stopped USFS and Skate Canada from selecting their teams later or from other Nations from using Europeans to decide their teams. Perhaps the countries list all of the possible skaters, which for the US might be the top five skaters for the disciplines that have been completed, any injured top skater who could petition for a spot, and all age-eligible skaters in any discipline that has not finished by the deadline.
    I though that the US Nationals are held earlier this year due to the 11/1/14 dead line.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    US Nationals end on the 11th at 11pm ET -- 12 January ISU time in Lausanne -- and USFS has a day to convene to make its selections by the process submitted to and approved by the USOC. Canadian Nationals ends on the 11th at 10pm ET. I'm not sure when Skate Canada announces its team.

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    US Nationals end on the 11th at 11pm ET
    That's Ladies FS; Men's FS ends at 5 pm ET on Sunday, Jan. 12, and the announcement of the U.S. Olympic team will be made not too long afterwards, hopefully.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isnít every four years, itís every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    OMG, I saw exhibition practices on the schedule, mistook the Men's Warmups for EX practice, and thought Sunday was EX only. I missed the Men's event listed for Sunday.

Argle-Bargle-ist
    vCash
    Does anyone know about timing details concerning the team events? For the short program, how far (or little) in advance of the start day and time can a country decide who will be skating. For example, the pairs short which is the first part on Thursday, February 6th at 7:30pm. Once the pairs teams have been decided, can a country change that, and if so, how far (or how little) in advance can they change that? Similar question for the long programs. Can the skaters for the long programs be changed once everyone has seen the short program results? One scenario is a country planning on their #2 team for the long program, but when they ended up in third overall instead of second overall as expected, they think, "hey, we better send in team #1 or we won't even get a medal!!"

Sorry if this has already been discussed elsewhere. I did scan this thread but didn't see information as far as the timing/scheduling goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I feel like I'm missing another thread, but has anyone tallied who the leading 10 teams are after 2013 worlds?
    I know your post is old, but I saw some good (and clear) info about this at Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_..._Qualification

First, in the "Qualified Countries" section, we can see all the countries, how many qualified entries per discipline, the top 10 teams qualified for the team event, and lastly, the total number of skaters qualified per country for the Olympics.

Second, in the "Team Event" section, we can see the top 20 countries based on points earned during the 2012-13 season. This can be re-organized by clicking on the arrow in the 2013-14 column to see how the numbers changed this year. And each country is colour-code whether they are Qualified to Olympics (green), Reserve nation for Olympics (blue) or Not eligible for Olympics (pink). I love Wikipedia.
    It's official. I am madly in love with Meryl Davis.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Communication 1844 was released on 10 January to clarify the deadlines and the difference between "exchange" and "replacement" skaters.

A "replacement" skater is one who takes the place of an athlete who cannot compete to due "urgent medical reasons" (illness and/or injury) according to the IOC Late Athlete Replacement Policy and specifically calls out that the ISU replacement policy does not apply. Once an athlete is replaced, his/her credentials are taken away and that's it for the Olympics.

So, if Plushenko is appointed as the Russian Man, he is going to have to either meet the IOC medical requirements for their Late Replacement Athlete policy to withdraw, or he withdraws and Russia cannot replace him with any other man by the deadline for individual events. (The same is true for all athletes.)

An "exchange" skater is one who has qualified for the individual event and is one of the up to two skaters/teams who did not skate the TE SP/SD, but will skate the TE FS/FD.

The deadlines have been updated from having one deadline for the SP/SD and another for the FS/FD to two each for each program, based on the discipline:

With respect to the “exchange possibility” within a Team the following dates and deadlines apply to confirm the names of skaters/couples (possibility of exchanges) who will skate for the Team in the segment in question.

February 5th, 2014 - 19:00 h Nomination by name of the skaters participating in the Men and Pairs Team Event.

February 7th, 2014 - 10:00 h Nomination by name of the skaters participating in the Ladies and Ice Dance Team Event.

February 8th, 2014 - 21:40 h Nomination by name of the skaters participating in
    the Pair Skating Free Skating Team Event.

February 9th, 2014 - 10:00 h Nomination by name of the skaters participating in the Men, Ladies and Ice Dance Free Skating/Free Dance Team Event

Skaters/couples, who suffer an injury or sickness after the deadlines mentioned above - replacement deadline and the deadline for entering the name for a segment – cannot be replaced or exchanged and their place, need to remain empty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12