podcast mistress
    Ready to interview Uncle Dickie at any time.
    vCash

Interviewing Sjoukje Dijkstra! Questions for her?

Hi everyone. I *may* get the chance to interview Sjoukje Dijkstra while she is here for the US Nationals. I know a lot of people here have some fantastic background knowledge on her, and would love the chance to ask questions . . . and considering my crazy schedule here I could use the help compiling questions!

So please ask them here. Thank you!
    In my spare time, I like to interview figure skating legends.

Prick Admin
    vCash
    How is her name pronounced?

vCash
    I've heard "Soo-kee Dyke-stra"....So she's here in the USA for Natls? Amazing. Why? Friends in Boston? (Why not? I suppose.)
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by allezfred View Post
    How is her name pronounced?
    You can hear on this video how you pronounce it (0:06): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAD1u...&feature=share This is the proper way to say her name!

vCash
    1. How did you get involved in figure skating?
    2. Which figure pattern was your favorite and why?
    3. Which free skating program was your favorite and why?
    4. When did you move to London for training, did you speak English, and what kind of an adjustment was that (i.e. who went with you, etc)
    5. 1961 must have been a difficult year, as you were arguably the favorite for the world championships which were cancelled. How does an 18-year old process the death of an entire country's team, how were you told of the cancellation of the world championships, and what was it like in 1962?
    6. You've been commenting on figure skating for Dutch television for many years, what are some of the performances you've witnessed that are particularly memorable?
    7. If you couldn't be involved in figure skating, what other career would you like to try?

vCash
    Who are her favorite skaters?

What are her predictions for Sochi?

How has the popularity of figure skating in Netherlands changed over the years? Why have we not seen top skaters emerge from that country since her era?

vCash
    I too would be interested in knowing about why there have been so few top skaters from the Netherlands since then. Dianne de Leeuw is the only one I can think of, and she trained primarily in the US.

I'd like to know how her height affected her skating (e.g. was it more difficult to do any elements). Wikipedia says she is 5 foot 7 inches tall, and she certainly must have been one of the tallest competitive skaters in her era.
    You should never write words with numbers. Unless you're seven. Or your name is Prince. - "Weird Al" Yankovic, "Word Crimes"

vCash
    Do you have any special memories of Innsbruck and the 1964 Winter Games besides your own competition?
    Dick Button Historical Quote of the Month: "Good for you, Lucinda Ruh!"

In the place 4 hours due East of where George Spiteri has his workshop
    vCash
    What was your favorite competition and why?

Some place competitive and athletic, but ultimately more like an audition than anything else.
    vCash
    From the footage available, I have admired her robust jumps. Did she try triples? What was her interpretation of the attitude of the skating community about multi rotation jumps and more athletic elements during her time?

How much ice time did she have to dedicate to figures? Does she think they should still be in competition?

Which competition format does she think is the most fitting for the sport (figures/freeskate, figures/sp/freeskate, sp/freeskate)? Which scoring system did she think was most fair, including the IJS?

Is there anything she misses from past eras? Is there anything she thinks is better now? In terms what is included in programs, competition, traditions in the sport, etc.

Her father was a speed skater, did she ever try that sport?
    Last edited by bardtoob; 01-11-2014 at 05:09 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Frau Muller View Post
    I've heard "Soo-kee Dyke-stra"....So she's here in the USA for Natls? Amazing. Why? Friends in Boston? (Why not? I suppose.)
    She was inducted into the World Figure Skating Hall of Fame, along with Michelle Kwan, last night.

Cool if you get the interview, Manleywoman!

vCash
    This is a predictable question but I'd like to hear her opinions on IJS also. Does she think she would've fared well under the new system?

Which skaters after her did she admire/ follow ?

What were her best qualities as a free skater? Her best/favorite jump and spin that she did?

Her thoughts on The Kween

vCash
    I would be curious to hear her views on transitioning from life as a competitive skater, especially as Olympic champion, to life as a civilian. Some skaters like Tenley Albright went straight on to other careers while others like Evan, Plush, and Fumie don't seem to be able to hang up their skates even though their bodies appear to be telling them to.

vCash
    Great! I can't wait to hear the interview.