Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: Japan Open 2013

vCash
    Oh my, Fernandez was really awesome!!!

with my Sestra Helena plotting how to ravish Hot Paul and delicious Cal
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by seabm7 View Post
    I think the scoring of this exquisite and gorgeous, but technically flawed program of Jeffrey Buttle's is a perfect example of why so many people have a problem with inconsistent COP scoring among skaters, in particular, involving Patrick Chan in comparison to skaters who also should excel in the components of PCS. One can not tell me with a believable face that a 3 mistake program from Jeffrey Buttle only deserves 77.22 in PCS while a 3 mistake program from Patrick Chan deserves a 89.28 in PCS; I'm not buying what you're selling if anyone believes this to be true. There's no way in hell that Chan is 12.06 points better in PCS than Buttle. The PCS scoring is too inconsistent and ridiculously absurd!

vCash
    The PCS was invented to push up skaters that they want to see up and kick down skaters they don't 'deserve' to be up yet. Modern way of cheating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I think the scoring of this exquisite and gorgeous, but technically flawed program of Jeffrey Buttle's is a perfect example of why so many people have a problem with inconsistent COP scoring among skaters, in particular, involving Patrick Chan in comparison to skaters who also should excel in the components of PCS. One can not tell me with a believable face that a 3 mistake program from Jeffrey Buttle only deserves 77.22 in PCS while a 3 mistake program from Patrick Chan deserves a 89.28 in PCS; I'm not buying what you're selling if anyone believes this to be true. There's no way in hell that Chan is 12.06 points better in PCS than Buttle. The PCS scoring is too inconsistent and ridiculously absurd!
    They are two different competitions and PC is not equal to no. of falls.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't think Buttle's PCS should be higher for this program, but I do think that Chan's PCS should have been more affected (lower) when he had so many falls. No matter what competition it was. I don't think it is important fact that they were two different competitions. In theory PCS should be comparable across the competitions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hanca View Post
    I don't think Buttle's PCS should be higher for this program, but I do think that Chan's PCS should have been more affected (lower) when he had so many falls. No matter what competition it was. I don't think it is important fact that they were two different competitions. In theory PCS should be comparable across the competitions.
    Chan is the only skater in the world who does not have to pay dearly for his mistakes in the PCS scores. This game is UGHly!

vCash
    The biggest question for this competition is why was Kozuka's PCS so low???

vCash
    Chan is the only skater in the world who does not have to pay dearly for his mistakes in the PCS scores. This game is UGHly!
    So Takahashi getting a PCS as high as 87.48 her with such a low TES score is right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    So Takahashi getting a PCS as high as 87.48 her with such a low TES score is right?
    No, of course it is not right, but unfortunately Takahashi was one of the skaters they wanted to see up. I think this judging system is good because the TES provides skaters with immediate feedback on what they should improve, but the part of PCS should go through some changes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    I never said that. I said the PCS scoring should be consistent. Takahashi should not have scored that much higher than Buttle in the Japan Open given his mistakes either. I don't understand how the judges can justify making flawed artistic skater A suffer in the PCS scores while flawed artistic skater B receives a 10 point PCS boost. There's no justification for it; it's cheating across the board, plain and simple. No one nationality is at fault; it appears to be a universal problem in PCS scoring.

vCash
    It felt sorry for Brezina! I agree that it is cheating across the board. Changes should be made to the PCS part of the judging system. The system has been here long enough so hoping that the judges will change (perhaps with more training) is too optimistic.

Satisfied skating fan
    vCash
    Wrong thread
    Those who never succeed themselves are always the first to tell you how.

vCash
    :There we go again. Same ole story! My favourite was Wuzrobbed .... Cheated..... Corrupted FEderations... bribe:
    The skating season has started!
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I second Spikey's comment. I almost never engage in these debates, but in case anyone is reading who hasn't totally made up his/her mind forever no matter what, I've seen both Jeff and Patrick live often, and I love watching both. I'd give Jeff a slight edge on musicality/ artistry, but Chan is remarkably superior in speed, and power, and I think complexity, thanks to Jeff's choreography. He flies over the ice like no one else. It doesn't really come across on TV or the net.

A

vCash
    Why is Chan even part of this discussion? He didn't compete did he?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DimaToe View Post
    Mao: When I first heard that TAT was having her skate to Rach 2 I was all types of : . I actually take that back now. Tarasova gave Mao a great vehicle for the Olympic season, whether it's overused or not, Mao brings such musicality to the program that is just flows. All of the parts just bring out what I love about Mao's skating, even though it has strong parts, its actually highlight's Mao's "soft" skating style . I don't know how to explain myself.
    I agree DimaToe. I feel like this Rachmaninoff program is so wonderful for Mao, and it's hard to explain exactly why. I don't know the proper musical terminology. I think it's the long piano rolls through the crescendos/decrescendos. The momentum & simplicity of the piano rolls is echoed beautifully in Mao's light, fluid, yet powerful skating. I too was nervous when Mao picked this piece, because it's been used so many times, but I think this will be her signature long program. Oh, that final footwork sequence. And the final spiral. I love it!

vCash
    he should really have the highest ss along with Daisuke, that's for sure...
    but with Taka, it's the same old as always...the other men are really more expressive than him, dunno what it is. maybe the facial expressions or just believing in what he is doing...

vCash
    Good interview! Joannie is honest and realistic about her chance and her career. Yes, it doesn't make sense when you know that it is not likely to do better at the Olympics, and it makes sense to cash on the shows that keep coming her way, she deserves it. Still I'll be happy to see her competition skating, at big or small event. Good for her! With only two-month training she skated a over 126 program, 16 points more than her target!

Quote Originally Posted by Alvyne View Post
    According to this article, she's keeping her amateur status (she refused to take part in Battle of the Blades for that reason), so we never know!

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/autres...2_section_POS3

vCash
    Love Javier's LP! Love his personality! I predict that he's going to be the OGM in Sochi. Patrick Chan's skating skills are miles ahead of Javier, but with Javier's jumps and charisma, if Patrick does not nail the jumps, he's in big trouble.

vCash
    I've watched Ashley's LP a few times; just my $.02 -

On the plus side:

1) Good 3f-3t attempt and I'm glad she's going for it rather than the 2x-3t. It looks like the work w/ RA is paying off; only a slight UR and toe touch on the landing of the 3toe. I have hopes this element will continue to improve over the course of the season. She's gonna need it!
    2) Her program components are all in place. We can debate what needs to be improved upon but it's good that her program is cohesive w/ an overriding theme and she gets into character, using music from R & J that you can't say has been overused.
    3) Improved jump layout. Looks like she got another UR on the 1st 3loop. Coincidentally, it would be great to see if she could do a 3loop - 2axel instead of the 3l-2t. It's doable I think because the move comes around the 2-minute mark, and it would be worth more points
    4) Moved the 3-jump combo to the 2nd half of the program. Good tactic. Can we expect a Rippon or 'tano 2toe?

On the 'needs improvement' side:

1) Music cuts are admirably not old warhorse versions, but they don't seem to build to anything; do they need to be reworked? Or is it matter of Ashley skating each element w/ a lot more oomph to carry these music cuts? I remember being meh over earlier versions of MK's 'Red Violin' LP, but it totally came together by '00 Worlds. Is that the same issue here?
    2) Spins; her spins and corresponding levels looked superior in 'S & D' last year. Is that just a matter of it being early in the season, with perhaps an earlier concentration on a 3-3 having left her spins a little rusty? Or is her attempt at experimenting w/ some positions hindering the flow of her spins?
    3) FW - not bad, but it would be good to see her hit some edges for better flow in her FW

If she can slowly bring it all together, she could be in place for a medal should Mao or Caro slip.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast