Oh my, Fernandez was really awesome!!!
Oh my, Fernandez was really awesome!!!
The PCS was invented to push up skaters that they want to see up and kick down skaters they don't 'deserve' to be up yet. Modern way of cheating.
I don't think Buttle's PCS should be higher for this program, but I do think that Chan's PCS should have been more affected (lower) when he had so many falls. No matter what competition it was. I don't think it is important fact that they were two different competitions. In theory PCS should be comparable across the competitions.
The biggest question for this competition is why was Kozuka's PCS so low???
It felt sorry for Brezina! I agree that it is cheating across the board. Changes should be made to the PCS part of the judging system. The system has been here long enough so hoping that the judges will change (perhaps with more training) is too optimistic.
I second Spikey's comment. I almost never engage in these debates, but in case anyone is reading who hasn't totally made up his/her mind forever no matter what, I've seen both Jeff and Patrick live often, and I love watching both. I'd give Jeff a slight edge on musicality/ artistry, but Chan is remarkably superior in speed, and power, and I think complexity, thanks to Jeff's choreography. He flies over the ice like no one else. It doesn't really come across on TV or the net.
Why is Chan even part of this discussion? He didn't compete did he?
he should really have the highest ss along with Daisuke, that's for sure...
but with Taka, it's the same old as always...the other men are really more expressive than him, dunno what it is. maybe the facial expressions or just believing in what he is doing...
Good interview! Joannie is honest and realistic about her chance and her career. Yes, it doesn't make sense when you know that it is not likely to do better at the Olympics, and it makes sense to cash on the shows that keep coming her way, she deserves it. Still I'll be happy to see her competition skating, at big or small event. Good for her! With only two-month training she skated a over 126 program, 16 points more than her target!
Love Javier's LP! Love his personality! I predict that he's going to be the OGM in Sochi. Patrick Chan's skating skills are miles ahead of Javier, but with Javier's jumps and charisma, if Patrick does not nail the jumps, he's in big trouble.
I've watched Ashley's LP a few times; just my $.02 -
On the plus side:
1) Good 3f-3t attempt and I'm glad she's going for it rather than the 2x-3t. It looks like the work w/ RA is paying off; only a slight UR and toe touch on the landing of the 3toe. I have hopes this element will continue to improve over the course of the season. She's gonna need it!
2) Her program components are all in place. We can debate what needs to be improved upon but it's good that her program is cohesive w/ an overriding theme and she gets into character, using music from R & J that you can't say has been overused.
3) Improved jump layout. Looks like she got another UR on the 1st 3loop. Coincidentally, it would be great to see if she could do a 3loop - 2axel instead of the 3l-2t. It's doable I think because the move comes around the 2-minute mark, and it would be worth more points
4) Moved the 3-jump combo to the 2nd half of the program. Good tactic. Can we expect a Rippon or 'tano 2toe?
On the 'needs improvement' side:
1) Music cuts are admirably not old warhorse versions, but they don't seem to build to anything; do they need to be reworked? Or is it matter of Ashley skating each element w/ a lot more oomph to carry these music cuts? I remember being meh over earlier versions of MK's 'Red Violin' LP, but it totally came together by '00 Worlds. Is that the same issue here?
2) Spins; her spins and corresponding levels looked superior in 'S & D' last year. Is that just a matter of it being early in the season, with perhaps an earlier concentration on a 3-3 having left her spins a little rusty? Or is her attempt at experimenting w/ some positions hindering the flow of her spins?
3) FW - not bad, but it would be good to see her hit some edges for better flow in her FW
If she can slowly bring it all together, she could be in place for a medal should Mao or Caro slip.