Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Japan Open 2013

vCash
    From COI:

Daisuke Takahashi - SP Sonatina + 'Eye'
    http://bit.ly/15fadMv
    Support Daisuke, join Daisuke Takahshi Road to Sochi

vCash
    I think they need one segment of the familiar music--a beautiful melody--to contrast with the interesting, dramatic, and dissonant rest of the Prokofiev cuts. Ending with dissonance/death is good, but some straight romance in the middle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    I'm not feeling the programs of Wagner nor Asada. Maybe they just need time to grow on me. Ashley needs much more speed and power in her basic skating to make this a convincing program to me. Mao had a lot of jump technique issues and sloppy mistakes throughout. Her step sequence is fabulous though!

On the flip side, I LOVE Takahashi's Beatles medley. He is so dashing! I love his skating skills and that he feels every note of his music. Beautiful! If only I could have a men's Olympic podium consisting of Abbott, Takahashi, Kozuka, or Gachinski.
    I"m glad someone else feels the same as I. Both programs seem rather bare compared even to some I saw at Finlandia this week-end. Ashley's jumps seem badly placed in the choreography . Who choreographed this? I hope these were just bare bone versions of their programs.

I <3 Kozuka
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fscric View Post
    The biggest question for this competition is why was Kozuka's PCS so low???
    Why only "this" competition? It's been the story of his life in just about every competition.

Quote Originally Posted by museksk8r View Post
    One can not tell me with a believable face that a 3 mistake program from Jeffrey Buttle only deserves 77.22 in PCS while a 3 mistake program from Patrick Chan deserves a 89.28 in PCS; I'm not buying what you're selling if anyone believes this to be true. There's no way in hell that Chan is 12.06 points better in PCS than Buttle. The PCS scoring is too inconsistent and ridiculously absurd!
    On the contrary: PCS scoring is too consistent, since the vast majority of the other component scores are anchored to Skating Skills. Even Buttle raves about Chan's skating skills -- not just the efficiency of the blade, speed, and power, but all of the bullet points in the SS description -- and has said they're superior. That explains why Chan's PCS are higher than Buttle's, why Chan gets a PCS lift across the board, and why great interpretations and choreography are held down to the SS mark.
    "'Is this new BMW-designed sled the ultimate sledding machine for Langdon and Holcomb?' Leigh Diffey asked before the pair cruised to victory. I don’t know, but I know that sled is the ultimate Olympic Games product placement.." -- Jen Chaney

vCash
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by kwanfan1818 View Post
    Why only "this" competition? It's been the story of his life in just about every competition. QUOTE]
    Indeed it has. Though it is more disheartening to see such PCS in a competition on his home soil. Kozuka's PCS are always lower than common sense says they should be.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Roses are red, violets are blue, this poem is dumb and so are you.
    vCash
    [QUOTE=dinakt;4012462]
    Indeed it has. Though it is more disheartening to see such PCS in a competition on his home soil. Kozuka's PCS are always lower than common sense says they should be.
    Kozuka has always been the male equivalent of Akiko Suzuki in his home country. Neither of them get the respect they deserve from their own nation. It's sad really.

Title-less
    vCash
    I think skaters are supposed to emote ala Liza or project like Joubert to get good pcs, or they can have ss one notch above everyone like Chan. Or else your PCS is stuck in the middle of the road.

Which isn't fair. Good emoting doesn't mean good ss and transitions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blueglass View Post
    Why is Chan even part of this discussion? He didn't compete did he?
    Because some people love beating dead horses in irrelevant threads.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

vCash
    I don't know what to think about Ashley's program. On one hand, I'm glad she landed her jumps and went for the 3-3. On the other hand, on first viewing, I hate how the music is put together. It just seems random and loud and doesn't go anywhere. I usually like rarely used parts of familiar pieces, but this is to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nashvilledancer View Post
    I think they need one segment of the familiar music--a beautiful melody--to contrast with the interesting, dramatic, and dissonant rest of the Prokofiev cuts. Ending with dissonance/death is good, but some straight romance in the middle.
    I agree. I've rewatched Ashley's LP a few times, and I think I understand it and like it more every time I watch it. And I love the inner drama. But one familiar cut/ lyrical cut might be welcome. Ashley actually has it in the middle- and it works better on rewatching. I cannot believe I advocate more conformity, but some lyrical music in the middle can break up the turmoil and frame it better, so it is actually more effective.
    Last edited by dinakt; 10-06-2013 at 11:03 PM.
    improving my ballad- like lines

Fetalized since 1998
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Because some people love beating dead horses in irrelevant threads.

Loving on babies!
    vCash
    Javier What a fabulous program!
    I am free of all prejudices. I hate everyone equally.~W. C. Fields

vCash
    Tatsuki Machida skated his short program to "East of Eden" at Carnival on Ice(the gala show of JO). Oh my..this is one of the most favorite Olympic programs in this season, which I've seen so far. Love his artistry!

many thanks to the youtube user
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDLnhwh9Rl8

I posted the translation of Machida's interviews at Kinki Regionals in the thread of Japanese skaters. He talked a bit of his "East of Eden".
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4005656
    "You'll find that life is still worthwhile. If you'll just Smile."  --by john turner and geoffrey parsons

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ostile17 View Post
    From COI:

Daisuke Takahashi - SP Sonatina + 'Eye'
    http://bit.ly/15fadMv
    Thanks! I am going to look for his Beatles program as I think I've only seen a bit of practice.
    I really like his skating, but I hope that someone takes care to see that he does not get into the arm flailing territory like we have seen in some other men and ladies programs.

vCash
    I don't understand Lori's music editing for Dai's LP.
    I have expected Dai's Beatles such as Abbott's 'a day in the life' SP feel.
    Is Lori too focused on Caro & D10?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Tatsuki Machida skated his short program to "East of Eden" at Carnival on Ice(the gala show of JO). Oh my..this is one of the most favorite Olympic programs in this season, which I've seen so far. Love his artistry!

I posted the translation of Machida's interviews at Kinki Regionals in the thread of Japanese skaters. He talked a bit of his "East of Eden".
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4005656
    I love it! It would be nice if Team Japan swept the podium at Skate America again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by VarBar View Post
    I'm guessing Takahashi is allowed to outscore everybody else on the program components although he fell two times, he underrotated his only quad and popped the second 3A into a single axel and his TES was lower than Fernandez's by some 27 points. Would Chan have received a score like that, it would have certainly been blatant overmarking by the judges.
    I haven't seen the skates. But I don't agree with it, when its Dai either.

vCash
    Thanks Seabm7 for the Jeff Buttle video. He made some mistakes but I still feel his artistry is amazing. When Jeff skates, my eyes are just glued to him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post

[/url]
    That was absolutely gorgeous!! I think this is my favorite SP thus far as well!

vCash
    I love Machida

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast