Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

Lysacek out of Skate America

Official: see link below

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,5003172.story

A torn labrum -- pretty serious, no?

vCash
    This news has only been posted in about 4 different threads on FSU today... make that 5 (4 other threads in GSD, 1 in Trash Can).

dardar1126 gets the credit for being the first! http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post4006389

Consolidating the news from the other threads, here are links to 2 earlier articles:

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/201...y-torn-labrum/

Associated Press: http://www.mercurynews.com/sports/ci...sacek-has-torn

ETA:
    Tweeted by @amyrosewater at the Olympic Media Summit in Park City, Utah:
    @EvanLysacek said he has been assured by @USFigureSkating that he can enter another international event to post score needed for Sochi.
    2 possible competitions:
    Ice Challenge in Graz, Austria (Nov. 19-24) is the latest of the 6 Senior B comps currently listed on USFS' International Assignments page; USFS has sent skaters in previous years to Golden Spin of Zagreb in Croatia - 2013 dates are Dec. 5-8.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2013 at 06:47 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    The withdrawal was half expected, IMO but this injury sounds serious.

vCash
    Thanks for the link skatecat. I admit I gave up on a few of the other threads midway so sometimes it's good to have a thread with actual up to date news pop up sometimes.

Bummer for Evan but not surprising. Here's hoping he recovers fully.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vash01 View Post
    The withdrawal was half expected, IMO but this injury sounds serious.
    I agree- this is the first time I've heard torn labrum.
    But that is what Coughlin was dealing with, and he's had a good recovery, Evan's might be more minor to allow for quicker recovery.

I think really, he's just not ready to give up yet.

vCash
    Isn't this what Alyssa had?
    DH - and that's just my opinion

vCash
    It is my understanding that there are many different degrees of labral tears and not all require surgery.

ETA excerpt from Hersh's Tribune article:
    In a Trbune interview following the general media session, Lysacek answered the question of how realistic his 2014 Olympic chances are by saying, “I’m not giving up. I’m disappointed, devastated at times, but not defeated. That has been the struggle, to remain optimistic, but I am.

“I said I was coming back to competition. I have done it for all the right reasons. I love to skate and to compete.”

Lysacek flatly rejected any suggestion he was keeping his Olympic hopes alive to please personal sponsors – including Coke, Ralph Lauren, Citi, Deloitte – who know his name will stay in the news as long as he remains in contention for the 2014 U.S. Olympic team.

“That did not play into my thought process at all,” he said. “It is too difficult every single day to train. It is way too difficult of a path or journey to take because sponsors want you to do it.

“That being said, I love my sponsors, I appreciate them, I recognize what they are. We are one of very few nations whose Olympic program is not federally funded, and we rely on corporate sponsorship very much to get our athletes on the podium."
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2013 at 08:36 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    It is my understanding that there are many different degrees of labral tears and not all require surgery.
    I think even a minor one without surgery requires a good recovery time. Mine did not require surgery, but I was in PT for a year to be able to walk without severe pain. Skating wise, I cannot do spirals at all anymore, not without surgery at least. I didn't do the aggressive PT schedule I'm sure Lysacek will, but I also wasn't trying to compete at the highest level of a very intense sport (rather the very lowest level and I was off ice for about 6 months). A recovery for even a minor tear is going to be 2-3 months, that's December. Surgery would be 4-6 months.

Surgery or not, Lysacek has a long row to hoe if he wants an Olympic spot. Unless he is almost fully recovered now, but just not trained- time is NOT on his side. Now that they've named the injury, I find it really doubtful we'll see him at nationals in strong enough form to get one of two spots.
    Last edited by Skittl1321; 09-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    Sorry to hear the news, most especially for Evan, as IIRC he's had to withdraw from competitions for the past 2 seasons. The heart is willing, but the body is not, I truly feel for Evan.

I would so LOVE to see both *E's* at the Sochi Olympics in the Team Event. A rematch, but this time on Evgeni's turf. I'm still hoping...

Now for his replacement at Skate America? I recall somebody mentioned Alexander Johnson a week or two ago.

vCash
    Alex Johnson returned to the ice in late August after having ankle surgery earlier this summer.

Jason Brown is the most likely choice to replace Lysacek, IMO.

ETA that USFS just tweeted that Jason Brown is Lysacek's replacement at SA.
    Last edited by Sylvia; 09-30-2013 at 07:28 PM.

vCash
    I liked Evan's statement, I believe it to be true. Nobody pushes themselves so much unless they want to be in peak form. Wishing Evan a quick recovery, and, if competing is not in the cards for him, a way to find how to turn his determination to other things. Best of luck.
    improving my ballad- like lines

vCash
    http://www.icenetwork.com/news/2013/09/30/62231950
    Excerpt about Lysacek:
    Lysacek broke the news that he will not compete at Skate America, set for Oct. 17-20 in Detroit, while attending the U.S. Olympic Committee's media summit in Park City, Utah.

"It's extremely unfortunate, but it's not the end of the world," Lysacek said, adding, "It kills me to be missing it."

Lysacek said he suffered an abdominal tear following what he called a "violent fall" at the end of August. He added that a doctor ordered further imaging and discovered he had a torn labrum in his left hip.

"It is going to require more time off the ice," said Lysacek, who had been skating alongside of Denis Ten with coach Frank Carroll at the Toyota Sports Center in El Segundo, Calif.

As far as where Lysacek can go to achieve a qualifying score, he has a few options. Among them are the Ice Challenge, set for Nov. 19-24 in Graz, Austria, and the NRW Trophy and Golden Spin of Zagreb, both of which are scheduled for the first week in December.

According to ISU rules, Lysacek must meet the ISU minimums by Jan. 27 if he is to compete in the Winter Games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AxelAnnie View Post
    Isn't this what Alyssa had?
    And what Tara had, and I believe Michelle may have had the same injury. This isn't good. I would love to see him compete, but I don't think that is going to happen now.
    "Once you've skated together long enough, and you're really good friends, you can close your eyes, put your hand out and she's right there." Joe Dolkiewicz, 2011 US Novice Pairs Bronze Medalist

Quadless
    vCash
    Not surprising but still disappointing. His chances of making it to Sochi seem to be diminishing daily.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

vCash
    Longer Associated Press article that says Lysacek is electing to treat his torn labrum with physical therapy and not surgery: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/t/story...erica-20420765

vCash
    Evan needs to give it up at this point before he ends up in a wheelchair. This is getting crazy. I to think his injuries are all serious and his not ducking out and that is the point. He is pushing his body beyond what it can handle anymore and for what. It is not like he is a contender for an Olympic medal even if he were at this best. Staying healthy than competing at a final Olympics might be worth it, but going through 4 or 5 huge injuries and possible surgeries just to have an outside shot to make the Olympics and finish 9th.

vCash
    That quote from Evan moved me to tears It really saddens me that things don't seem to be working out for him well...

vCash
    Tatiana Flade tweeted Jason Brown will replace him.

vCash
    Really really not surprised. He never seemed to change his training routine and just trained as though he were still 18. C'mon, mate. Even Plushenko knew better than that and we've long established that he's insane.

vCash
    I'm really sorry that Evan won't be at SA as I so wanted to see him live one more time. He needs to take care of himself. However, I really look forward to seeing Jason Brown. He's become my new "favorite."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast