Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by paskatefan View Post
    Elvis Stojko - 1996 Worlds
    This was the first one that came to mind for me because it is such a personal memory. I was a die-hard Elvis fan back in the day and cried my eyes out after his free skate!

vCash
    Janet Lynn was 12th in the short (after finishing second in figures) but won the free skate and took the silver medal at 1973 Worlds.

Sergei Voronov was in 15th place after the short at 2008 Worlds, was fourth in the free, and pulled up to 7th overall.
    I can call the moon a pear, but it doesn't make it so. -- kwanfan1818

vCash
    Elaine Zayak - 1982 Worlds

vCash
    US Nationals 2013 Alexander Johnson was 12th after a meh short program, skated arguably the best free skate of the night, where he came in fifth (I would've had him higher) and finished 7th overall.

vCash
    I don't think Z-Li had a disaster at 2013 worlds in her SP, but she did blow the roof off in the LP.

We should include Czissny at 2009 worlds on this list. Her SP was definitely disastrous, and her LP was the best she's ever done at that point in her career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqNbpteais
    Keeper of Nathalie Pechelat's bitchface.

is silently judging you
    vCash
    Petrenko at the '94 Olympics stands out as a favorite. So much better than the LP he won gold for!
    The audience I am trying to reach are champion figure skaters. I think they need me the most. -- Morrissey

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coco View Post
    I don't think Z-Li had a disaster at 2013 worlds in her SP, but she did blow the roof off in the LP.

We should include Czissny at 2009 worlds on this list. Her SP was definitely disastrous, and her LP was the best she's ever done at that point in her career.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIqNbpteais
    I was at those worlds and she skated looking terrified. It was far from her best skate at that point. She skated much better at 2007 nationals, 2005 skate america, 2005 skate canada, 2004 skate america and 2004 regionals.

vCash
    3 come to my mind :

- Kurt Browning 1994 Olympics : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_y-FPJQjcc

- Marina Kielmann 1995 Euros.

- Julia Sebestyen 1999 Euros : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAZpEpQotE

vCash
    Tomas Verner 2007 Worlds, 9th in SP with a popped axel, 4th in FS (should have been 3rd) with an incredible program, pulled up to 4th overall.
    Adam Rippon 2010 4CCs, 7th in SP, 1st in FS, 1st overall
    Polina Shelepen 2012 JWC, 12th in SP, 4th in FS, 6th overall
    Miki Ando 2010 Worlds, 11th in SP, 3rd in FS, 4th (should have been 3rd) overall
    Ashley Wagner 2009 Nationals, 12th in SP, 1st in the FS, 4th overall
    Yuna Kim 2008 Worlds, 6th in SP, 1st in FS, 3rd overall (could have been 1st or 2nd honestly)
    Polina Korobeynikova 2012 Euros, 12th in FS with 2 falls, 2nd in FS, 4th overall

Live in Guardian Angel
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by briancoogaert View Post
    3 come to my mind :

- Kurt Browning 1994 Olympics : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_y-FPJQjcc

- Marina Kielmann 1995 Euros.

- Julia Sebestyen 1999 Euros : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLAZpEpQotE
    Oh my god! I'd love to see Kielmann 95 Euros free! I'm a big fan of her!

vCash
    In 2009 Europeans Yannick Ponsero was 9th in the SP and won the LP. KVDP beat him by 0,06 points to get bronze only because he skated in the final group. It was the first time I saw both of them skate live and I was astounded by Ponsero's speed and KVDP's non-speed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr6Yffpxpls
    Last edited by kukkura; 06-20-2013 at 01:08 PM. Reason: adding link

vCash
    I think it would have been great to put the video links, if available. I'll edit my previous post to include them
    Most of these performances were career best for the skaters

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by robinhood View Post
    Kurt Browning in Lillehammer, as well as Viktor Petrenko
    Plushenko, for his standards, in Salt Lake City
    Lambiel in 2007 Worlds in Japan, he came back brilliantly with the masterpiece that was Poeta
    http://youtu.be/Y_y-FPJQjcc Browning

http://youtu.be/DC48Tblt2nY Plushenko

http://youtu.be/n5vSl4Aif2I Lambiel

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammers View Post
    I know a lot of people have hate for the guy but i can't believe no one has mentioned Evan at the Olympics in 2006. He had a bad SP and was 10th then came down with the flu
    No one could skate if they really had the flu. Flu is a serious illness that kills large numbers of people every year. What he, or his coach, or the commentators meant was that he had a bad cold. So, kudos to him for skating with a bad cold, but it wasn't the flu.

In major telling the unvarnished truth mood today.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post
    No one could skate if they really had the flu. Flu is a serious illness that kills large numbers of people every year. What he, or his coach, or the commentators meant was that he had a bad cold. So, kudos to him for skating with a bad cold, but it wasn't the flu.[/SIZE]
    Did you run the tests? While people do call colds the flu, not everyone gets a severe case of the flu, and it is shocking what athletes can work through.

Not the flu, but I did competitive dance through a case of mono, my now husband ended up hospitalized when he had mono. Reactions differ, as does severity of -every- illness.

vCash
    I remember Marie-Claude Savard-Gagnon and Luc Bradet skated with the flu at the '98 Olympics and they were so sick, or at least one of them was, that they had to stop during the performance. I believe that skaters do skate with the flu.. maybe it isn't the most severe flu ever, but it's the flu nonetheless. Now, something like pneumonia, that's another story. Has anyone ever heard of a skater skating with pneumonia? Just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Geh View Post
    Oh my god! I'd love to see Kielmann 95 Euros free! I'm a big fan of her!
    I haven't found it on youtube. But I remember it was pretty good considering her ranking after the SP.

Mad for mangelwurzels
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    Did you run the tests? While people do call colds the flu, not everyone gets a severe case of the flu, and it is shocking what athletes can work through.
    I have an old friend who is a hospital consultant. One day he told me a little story to illustrate the difference between a cold and the flu. He said, "Imagine a house with a 100 metre (or yard) drive. Inside the house there's someone in bed with either a bad cold or the flu. There's no one else in the house. At the far end of the drive, someone places an envelope containing £50 (or whatever that converts to in your country's currency) on the ground. This person then walks down the drive, goes into the house and tells the person in bed that at the end of the drive, there's £50 waiting for him. If the person in bed has a bad cold, he will get up, feeling bloody awful, put on a few clothes to make himself decent, and go out to retrieve the envelope. If that person has the flu, he won't go because he can't."

I'm not a doctor myself, but it's true that this was his illustration. If a person really has the flu, they're pretty well confined to bed for around two weeks. Otherwise it wouldn't be the killer disease that it is. I have another friend who does seem a bit prone to catching colds because of her work environment. She's always phoning me and saying, "I can't do such-and-such because I've got the flu again." She thinks she's had it about six or seven times this year. In reality, she hasn't had it once.
    Last edited by orientalplane; 06-20-2013 at 04:29 PM.
    Be with me always—take any form—drive me mad! only do not leave me in this abyss, where I cannot find you! Oh, God! it is unutterable! I cannot live without my life! I cannot live without my soul!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by orientalplane View Post

No one could skate if they really had the flu. Flu is a serious illness that kills large numbers of people every year. What he, or his coach, or the commentators meant was that he had a bad cold. So, kudos to him for skating with a bad cold, but it wasn't the flu.

In major telling the unvarnished truth mood today.
    I am not sure what the exact diagnosis was; however, prior to his free skate at the 2006 World Championship, the commentators mentioned that Lysacek was still taking antibiotics for the illness that he had at the Olympics. Moreover, prior to his free skate at the Olympics, Lysacek was taking IV treatments.

ETA: Had a chance to watch the video from 2006 WC. The commentators stated Lysacek was taking antibiotics for a bacterial infection.
    Last edited by SkateFan66; 06-20-2013 at 05:32 PM.

vCash
    Antibiotics don't do anything for the flu.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast