Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    315
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0

    Canada and Australia to collaborate as MOU signed

    Good news for Aussie winter athletes, and probably good news for Canadian summer athletes.

    http://corporate.olympics.com.au/new...mpic-agreement

  2. #2
    Not summer :(
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    West of the 5th...
    Posts
    29,090
    vCash
    100
    Rep Power
    15780
    Cool! Looks like a win-win situation for both countries!
    Haunting the Princess of Pink since 20/07/11...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,555
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    Quote Originally Posted by Rae35 View Post
    Good news for Aussie winter athletes, and probably good news for Canadian summer athletes.

    http://corporate.olympics.com.au/new...mpic-agreement
    Good mates in sports! We have more warm swimming pools and beaches and green fields, and Canada has icy lakes and mountains.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,446
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2477
    Sounds promising..........hopefully great news for Aussie winter sport atheletes, and Canadian summer sport atheletes. Two small countries at opposite ends of the spectrum working together. What a great idea.
    Addicted to FSU

  5. #5
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    14,932
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15984
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    Sounds promising..........hopefully great news for Aussie winter sport atheletes, and Canadian summer sport atheletes. Two small countries at opposite ends of the spectrum working together. What a great idea.
    How does Canada qualify as a "small" country in your view? It has the 2nd largest land mass, 11th largest GDP and even though it's not densely populated, still has 35 million people. I'm not sure I'd consider that small.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1,142
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    3151
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    How does Canada qualify as a "small" country in your view? It has the 2nd largest land mass, 11th largest GDP and even though it's not densely populated, still has 35 million people. I'm not sure I'd consider that small.
    haha, I wouldn't call Australia "small" either. Sure we only have 20 million odd people, but it takes 5/6 hours to fly from one side to the other!

  7. #7
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,833
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21575
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    How does Canada qualify as a "small" country in your view? It has the 2nd largest land mass, 11th largest GDP and even though it's not densely populated, still has 35 million people. I'm not sure I'd consider that small.
    So. Australia has 23 million people, 12th largest GDP and a land mass as big as contiguous US. Guess Australia's not a small country either. Did you think it was?
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,486
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    Good mates in sports! We have more warm swimming pools and beaches and green fields, and Canada has icy lakes and mountains.
    When I saw little Brooklee Han at worlds I wanted to whisk her away and have her skate with Mervin Tran.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,446
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2477
    Quote Originally Posted by BittyBug View Post
    How does Canada qualify as a "small" country in your view? It has the 2nd largest land mass, 11th largest GDP and even though it's not densely populated, still has 35 million people. I'm not sure I'd consider that small.
    In comparison to our next door neighbor, and many Euro- countries, then we are small population wise.......
    Addicted to FSU

  10. #10
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,883
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12430
    at the idea of Canada and Australia being in any way small countries.
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  11. #11
    Quadless
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Celebrating the power of Pooh
    Posts
    14,932
    vCash
    325
    Rep Power
    15984
    Quote Originally Posted by alilou View Post
    So. Australia has 23 million people, 12th largest GDP and a land mass as big as contiguous US. Guess Australia's not a small country either. Did you think it was?
    I'm not the one who made the original remark.
    "I miss footwork that has any kind of a discernible pattern. The goal of a step sequence should not be for a skater to show the same ice coverage as a Zamboni and take about as much time as an ice resurface. " ~ Zemgirl, reflecting on a pre-IJS straight line sequence

  12. #12
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Canada and Australia are considered small in population density. It's really not that hard to grasp.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,555
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    Quote Originally Posted by bmcg View Post
    Canada and Australia are considered small in population density.
    This is what I think Clairie meant all along not land mass. Interestingly, Australia's GDP is also pretty close to Canada's too.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  14. #14
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    442
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    This is what I think Clairie meant all along not land mass. Interestingly, Australia's GDP is also pretty close to Canada's too.
    Weee! Maybe an Aussie on the podium someday! Wouldn't that be fun spiky?

  15. #15
    Crazy Stalker Lady
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Busy stalking the world.
    Posts
    3,833
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    21575
    That would be very fun!
    My travel and adventure blog http://alisonanddon.wordpress.com

  16. #16

    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    2,446
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2477
    Quote Originally Posted by spikydurian View Post
    This is what I think Clairie meant all along not land mass. Interestingly, Australia's GDP is also pretty close to Canada's too.
    Thank you spiky. That is exactly what I meant. We have the north which is sparsely populated, although we have great land mass in Canada. I would think that certain parts of Australia (deserts) are pretty much the same.........although you Aussies have the better climate by far
    Addicted to FSU

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Oz
    Posts
    2,555
    vCash
    400
    Rep Power
    6051
    Quote Originally Posted by clarie View Post
    We have the north which is sparsely populated, although we have great land mass in Canada. I would think that certain parts of Australia (deserts) are pretty much the same.........although you Aussies have the better climate by far
    20% desert and some claimed 40% inhabitable? Climate? Oh yes, I think I would look like a mummy most times during winter in Canada.

    Quote Originally Posted by scrufflet
    Weee! Maybe an Aussie on the podium someday! Wouldn't that be fun spiky?
    OMG.... I wouldn't mind that! Imagine a Kurt Browning/Elvis Stojo/Jeff Buttle/Patrick Chan Aussie figure skater equivalent! I will fly all over Australia just to watch HIM!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emdee
    When I saw little Brooklee Han at worlds I wanted to whisk her away and have her skate with Mervin Tran.
    Emdee, you are brilliant. I never thought of that! Now can I ask that Mervin take up Aussie citizenship instead? Wouldn't be difficult. Three years' wait for citizenship, and we recognise dual citizenship too so Mervin didn't have to give up his Canadian citizenship.

    We both can have more Christine Nesbitts and Dale Begg-Smiths. Win-win situation.
    Last edited by spikydurian; 06-25-2013 at 03:47 PM.
    Prosperity makes friends, adversity tries them. – Publilius Syrus

  18. #18

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    In Canuck Land, hey!
    Age
    56
    Posts
    3,782
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Having married a Canadian-born but raised mostly in New Zealand before returning to Canada, I think ties between our two countries is a win-win. Something to do with their lovely accents, no doubt ;-)
    Crazy about sports!

  19. #19
    Prick Admin
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Having a kiki
    Posts
    41,883
    vCash
    506
    Rep Power
    12430
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Having married a Canadian-born but raised mostly in New Zealand before returning to Canada, I think ties between our two countries is a win-win. Something to do with their lovely accents, no doubt ;-)
    To think that fun is simple fun, while earnest things are earnest, proves all too plain that neither one thou truthfully discernest.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    4,777
    vCash
    289
    Rep Power
    15825
    Quote Originally Posted by professordeb View Post
    Having married a Canadian-born but raised mostly in New Zealand before returning to Canada, I think ties between our two countries is a win-win. Something to do with their lovely accents, no doubt ;-)
    Careful. Confusing Australia and NZ is liable to start a war! (No doubt based on rugby and cricket, we'll have a few brawls and then go down the pub together.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •