Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2564

    Interview with Oleg Vassiliev: questions and/or informations

    Hi, I have the opportunity to interview Oleg Vassiliev, so I was wondering if any of you have any question for him, or some infos about him to share to help me thinking of good questions to ask.
    The same day I am probably going to interview Della Monica/Guarise too, so if you have any quesiton for them just post it here!
    Thanks a lot,
    Laura
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Quadland
    Posts
    6,157
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    1604
    Excellent news! How about the transitions from Chicago to back to Russia - just very broad question

  3. #3
    Recovering from the Olys
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Posts
    28,278
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    16342
    For some background reference, here's manleywoman's podcast from May 2007: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-3-oleg-vassiliev/

    Is he coaching as part of Moskvina's group and/or working independently in Russia?
    ETA link to relevant recent article excerpt from the Russian news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3936891

    Is he coaching or advising other non-Russian pairs besides Della Monica/Guarise?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-17-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,906
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2294
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For some background reference, here's manleywoman's podcast from May 2007: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-3-oleg-vassiliev/

    Is he coaching as part of Moskvina's group and/or working independently in Russia?
    ETA link to relevant recent article excerpt from the Russian news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3936891

    Is he coaching or advising other non-Russian pairs besides Della Monica/Guarise?
    Oleg Vasiliev has joined Tamara Moskvina's group now as she told me in May. He has taken over Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert, who missed last season due to her injury (broken ankle).

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2564
    Thanks everyone!! Yes, I think Gerboldt/Enbert are in Milan too now.
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

  6. #6
    YEAH!
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Worshipping Grebenkina...
    Posts
    13,671
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    5868
    I believe he was involved with developing the CoP originally. I always felt that T&M had some great programs and transitions in 2003, which I thought was going to make them dominate once CoP was implemented. However, early on, S&Z were beating them in PCS anyway, and T&M retreated to somewhat emptier programs that allowed them to gain more speed and higher PCS scores (even transitions!) .... so I would be curious what his vision for T&M would have been preparing for Torino under 6.0.

    Also, please do tell him that some of us consider him and Valova to be one of the great Russian pairs teams, and that in the 80s they really pushed the limit with difficult triples and amazingly choreographed programs like their 1985 LP... they are innovators, and some of us haven't forgotten that. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    2,754
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Maybe some question about Mukhortova?
    Have I finally to give up hoping to see her ever again on competitive ice?

  8. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    1. How difficult is it to work with skaters who have not been trained under the old Soviet system (i.e. Della Monica/Guarise)
    2. Does he prefer skating or coaching?
    3. Does he believe the Leningrad Institute of Physical Culture adequately prepared him for his life in sport? How much more does he believe needs to be added to the curriculum, if anything at all?
    4. What future is there for the sport of figure skating around the world?
    5. Does he prefer coaching adults or youth?

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Also, please do tell him that some of us consider him and Valova to be one of the great Russian pairs teams, and that in the 80s they really pushed the limit with difficult triples and amazingly choreographed programs like their 1985 LP... they are innovators, and some of us haven't forgotten that. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.
    Amen.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    24,274
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    43732
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    I believe he was involved with developing the CoP originally. I always felt that T&M had some great programs and transitions in 2003, which I thought was going to make them dominate once CoP was implemented. However, early on, S&Z were beating them in PCS anyway, and T&M retreated to somewhat emptier programs that allowed them to gain more speed and higher PCS scores (even transitions!) .... so I would be curious what his vision for T&M would have been preparing for Torino under 6.0.

    Also, please do tell him that some of us consider him and Valova to be one of the great Russian pairs teams, and that in the 80s they really pushed the limit with difficult triples and amazingly choreographed programs like their 1985 LP... they are innovators, and some of us haven't forgotten that. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.


    Yes, please do tell him that V&V have many fans who really appreciated their originality in choreography, and how they advanced the sport technically. Their 1988 worlds LP performance is one of my most favorite performances.

    Please also tell him what a fantastic job he did with T&M. His coaching helped them win the OGM without any disputes.

    I would ask him about his current pairs and how he plans to train them. I would like to know his future coaching plans (will he stay in Russia and train the pairs there or move back to the USA?)

    ETA: Please ask him if we will ever see a golden age of Russian pairs skating again?

  11. #11

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,314
    vCash
    532
    Rep Power
    8321
    Find out how healthy and ready Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert are, please. Although the top three pairs are definitely Volosozhar-Trankov, Kavaguti-Smirnov and Bazarova-Larionov, should either of them get injured, there is no clear pair number 4. It would be a fight for spot between Stolbova-Klimov, Antipova-Maisuradze and possibly Gerboldt-Enbert if they are healthy and ready. (I don't think Martiusheva-Rogonov have a chance unless she started having consistent jumps. I don't know if anyone from juniors would move to seniors, e.g. Tarasova-Morozov, but it doesn't look so because they have no GP event).

  12. #12

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Milan, Italy
    Age
    24
    Posts
    1,271
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    2564
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.
    Thanks, it's a very useful thread
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

  13. #13
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Great White North
    Posts
    147
    vCash
    500
    Rep Power
    0
    Thanks for taking your time to do this interview and thanks for asking for our input. I wish you good luck.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •