vCash

Interview with Oleg Vassiliev: questions and/or informations

Hi, I have the opportunity to interview Oleg Vassiliev, so I was wondering if any of you have any question for him, or some infos about him to share to help me thinking of good questions to ask.
    The same day I am probably going to interview Della Monica/Guarise too, so if you have any quesiton for them just post it here!
    Thanks a lot,
    Laura
    A grumpy Canadian will always be nicer than a polite Milanese

vCash
    Excellent news! How about the transitions from Chicago to back to Russia - just very broad question

Recovering from the Olys
    vCash
    For some background reference, here's manleywoman's podcast from May 2007: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-3-oleg-vassiliev/

Is he coaching as part of Moskvina's group and/or working independently in Russia?
    ETA link to relevant recent article excerpt from the Russian news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3936891

Is he coaching or advising other non-Russian pairs besides Della Monica/Guarise?
    Last edited by Sylvia; 06-17-2013 at 11:20 PM.
    "Randy [Starkman (1960-April 16, 2012)] lived by the same motto as the rest of us. The Olympics isn’t every four years, it’s every single day. He just got it." --Canadian Olympic kayaker Adam van Koeverden

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylvia View Post
    For some background reference, here's manleywoman's podcast from May 2007: http://www.manleywoman.com/episode-3-oleg-vassiliev/

Is he coaching as part of Moskvina's group and/or working independently in Russia?
    ETA link to relevant recent article excerpt from the Russian news thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...=1#post3936891

Is he coaching or advising other non-Russian pairs besides Della Monica/Guarise?
    Oleg Vasiliev has joined Tamara Moskvina's group now as she told me in May. He has taken over Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert, who missed last season due to her injury (broken ankle).

vCash
    Thanks everyone!! Yes, I think Gerboldt/Enbert are in Milan too now.

YEAH!
    vCash
    I believe he was involved with developing the CoP originally. I always felt that T&M had some great programs and transitions in 2003, which I thought was going to make them dominate once CoP was implemented. However, early on, S&Z were beating them in PCS anyway, and T&M retreated to somewhat emptier programs that allowed them to gain more speed and higher PCS scores (even transitions!) .... so I would be curious what his vision for T&M would have been preparing for Torino under 6.0.

Also, please do tell him that some of us consider him and Valova to be one of the great Russian pairs teams, and that in the 80s they really pushed the limit with difficult triples and amazingly choreographed programs like their 1985 LP... they are innovators, and some of us haven't forgotten that. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.

vCash
    Maybe some question about Mukhortova?
    Have I finally to give up hoping to see her ever again on competitive ice?

vCash
    1. How difficult is it to work with skaters who have not been trained under the old Soviet system (i.e. Della Monica/Guarise)
    2. Does he prefer skating or coaching?
    3. Does he believe the Leningrad Institute of Physical Culture adequately prepared him for his life in sport? How much more does he believe needs to be added to the curriculum, if anything at all?
    4. What future is there for the sport of figure skating around the world?
    5. Does he prefer coaching adults or youth?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cherub721 View Post
    Also, please do tell him that some of us consider him and Valova to be one of the great Russian pairs teams, and that in the 80s they really pushed the limit with difficult triples and amazingly choreographed programs like their 1985 LP... they are innovators, and some of us haven't forgotten that. http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.
    Amen.

vCash
    I believe he was involved with developing the CoP originally. I always felt that T&M had some great programs and transitions in 2003, which I thought was going to make them dominate once CoP was implemented. However, early on, S&Z were beating them in PCS anyway, and T&M retreated to somewhat emptier programs that allowed them to gain more speed and higher PCS scores (even transitions!) .... so I would be curious what his vision for T&M would have been preparing for Torino under 6.0.

Yes, please do tell him that V&V have many fans who really appreciated their originality in choreography, and how they advanced the sport technically. Their 1988 worlds LP performance is one of my most favorite performances.

Please also tell him what a fantastic job he did with T&M. His coaching helped them win the OGM without any disputes.

I would ask him about his current pairs and how he plans to train them. I would like to know his future coaching plans (will he stay in Russia and train the pairs there or move back to the USA?)

ETA: Please ask him if we will ever see a golden age of Russian pairs skating again?

vCash
    Find out how healthy and ready Katarina Gerboldt/Alexander Enbert are, please. Although the top three pairs are definitely Volosozhar-Trankov, Kavaguti-Smirnov and Bazarova-Larionov, should either of them get injured, there is no clear pair number 4. It would be a fight for spot between Stolbova-Klimov, Antipova-Maisuradze and possibly Gerboldt-Enbert if they are healthy and ready. (I don't think Martiusheva-Rogonov have a chance unless she started having consistent jumps. I don't know if anyone from juniors would move to seniors, e.g. Tarasova-Morozov, but it doesn't look so because they have no GP event).

vCash
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/show...ghlight=valova This thread has a lot of information and discussion that might pique your interest.
    Thanks, it's a very useful thread

vCash
    Thanks for taking your time to do this interview and thanks for asking for our input. I wish you good luck.