Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Yeah, in the novel, she is inspired by Joan of Arc and has visions and all she talks about is being "My Lady the King's Mother" and "I shall sign myself Margaret R: Margaret Regina!" constantly. Oh, and whining. About. Everything. I don't think they have captured a lot of Margaret's wiliness nor her intelligence, mostly overdoing the piety.

I know a lot of people who still believe things like that about Richard. I don't have a side in this one, which is funny, because I usually do in historical arguments. York vs Lancaster, meh, whatever!

vCash
    Can any of you recommend a good non-fiction book on this period?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Can any of you recommend a good non-fiction book on this period?
    Charles Ross wrote two excellent biographies, one of Edward IV and one of Richard III (which supports the "traditionalist" view) Paul Murray Kendall wrote a biography of Richard III which is much less traditionalist and another book called "The Yorkist Age" which is about more day-to-day life, rather than that of the nobility. These last two books can be found on archive.org

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by attyfan View Post
    Charles Ross wrote two excellent biographies, one of Edward IV and one of Richard III (which supports the "traditionalist" view) Paul Murray Kendall wrote a biography of Richard III which is much less traditionalist and another book called "The Yorkist Age" which is about more day-to-day life, rather than that of the nobility. These last two books can be found on archive.org
    Thanks! I'm showing my ignorance of English history (which is why I need some good books), but what is the "traditionalist" view?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Allskate View Post
    Thanks! I'm showing my ignorance of English history (which is why I need some good books), but what is the "traditionalist" view?
    The "traditionalist view" hinges on Richard III usurping the throne and murdering his nephews; this view also downplays any skills and virtues he may have shown during the rest of his life. The view that Richard didn't kill the princes in the tower is referred to as "revisionist", which usually overstates Richard's skill as an administrator and emphasizes the good laws made during his reign.

vCash
    I guess I am a revisionist for King Richard III but I don't believe I overstate his skills as an administrator or the good laws he made. I guess I am not either side per se. I think in those times you had to fight for what you had so if their was a claim to a throne...why not go for it if you had the support to do it.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I thought last night's episode was the best so far. Margaret Beaufort should be very thankful that Lord Stafford is her husband though, any another man probably would not have put up with her.

vCash
    They had a amiable marriage didn't they? I think that was what I read in a few places anyway. Who is Richard by the way? I haven't seen a Richard anywhere as a brother to Margaret.
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight1 View Post
    They had a amiable marriage didn't they? I think that was what I read in a few places anyway. Who is Richard by the way? I haven't seen a Richard anywhere as a brother to Margaret.

According to wikipedia, Margaret Beaufort had a half-brother named John Welles, 1st Viscount Welles. He had an older half brother named Richard, and the timing of Richard's death would be the same as the period covered in Sunday's episode.

Here's the wikipedia article on Margaret's half-brother John http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_We...iscount_Welles Interestingly he ended up married to one of Edward IV and Elizabeth Woodville's daughters.

And there's the one on his half-brother Richard, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard...h_Baron_Welles

vCash
    ChelleC- Thanks for posting. I appreciate it.

So apparently I did some research into my family history and while my family seemed to go back and forth during the War of the Roses. They did finally go with the House of Lancaster at the end. An ancester was a govenor and treasurer to Prince Arthur (Henry VII). "Vernon Always Flourishes" is the family motto lol..

vCash
    Fun related book to read on RIII is The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. Detective stuck flat on his back after an injury uses his sleuthing mind to probe the RIII (did he kill the nephews or didn't he? what is the evidence for either side).
    BARK LESS. WAG MORE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LilJen View Post
    Fun related book to read on RIII is The Daughter of Time by Josephine Tey. Detective stuck flat on his back after an injury uses his sleuthing mind to probe the RIII (did he kill the nephews or didn't he? what is the evidence for either side).

That book was mentioned on the royalty thread back when Richard's body was identified in Feb. I downloaded it to my kindle a little bit after that. Loved it.

I watched tonight's episode earlier, and thought it was the best so far. My opinions keep changing so much, felt sorry for both of the Neville girls at times, especially Anne. Also actually felt for Margaret Beaufort for a little bit too. Loved the ending scenes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12