Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

vCash

The White Queen TV Show

Has anyone watched it yet? I just finished watching the first episode and abolutely love it! Actually enjoyed it better than the first episode of the Tudors to be honest. Frain was the perfect choice to play Richard Neville.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/06/in-u...ratings-crown/
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    In the US, we will have to wait til August but it looks great. The other familiar name is David Oakes, who played Juan Borgia in the Borgias and Jeremy Irons' son Max.

vCash
    I snuck a peak online to watch the first episode. I don't know if Canada picked it up or not but I couldn't wait to see it. lol
    ~I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it.~ (Charles R. Swindoll)

vCash
    I don't know how long it will manage to stay up, but the first episode is on youtube, and can be watched in the U.S.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54qKVaeYvss

I watched it this evening, and loved it. I don't have Starz, so I was thrilled that the youtube link came across my facebook feed.

I think I'm definitely going to have to read the book.

Re-registered User
    vCash
    Oops, wrong thread.

I was reading this thread because my daughter is watching this show tonight. We are both "fans" of the War of the Roses era. I'm going to have to find a source to watch this.
    ‎"You emerge victorious from the maze you've been travelling in." Oct 21,2012- Best Fortune Cookie Ever!

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Hmmm. Just watched it on Youtube. I'm not a fan of Philippa Gregory, as I have issues with her historical accuracy. I couldn't watch The Tudors for the same reason.

This wasn't bad, however. The events followed more or less as they did in history. Loved the gaggle of Woodville kids. Even the witchcraft part is not that fanciful- Jacquetta was later tried as a witch (and acquitted) historically. The costuming wasn't bad, although as always in these things, there was too much unbound/uncovered hair to be seen. I rather liked the very brief portrayal of Margaret Tudor, although I wasn't crazy about Duchess Cecily.

I will probably watch the next episode, which is more than I could say for The Tudors!
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

vCash
    Philippa Gregory's books annoy me, but it seems BBC took this project very seriously and they have this huge 20 million something set in Belgium.
    I like the first episode. Max is pretty good, but Rebecca Ferguson was the one that impressed me the most.
    As of March 2013 - no longer scared of TAHbKA or Andrey aka Pushkin

vCash
    Thanks for the link !!!!

vCash
    Max Irons is hot. Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous.

I've actually enjoyed it, oddly, considering it's Philippa feckin' Gregory. Well-done so far. I can't wait to see George and Richard, and the Neville girls. All the scheming. And more Margaret Beaufort! I really hated all the books and couldn't get through The Kingmaker's Daughter. They were all so dull and repetitive. I found I wanted to slug Elizabeth and Margaret.

vCash
    Another youtube link with the entire 1st episode, if anyone is interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am-UUsekKSg

vCash
    Just watched the 2nd episode and am enjoying the actress portraying Margaret Beaufort. Also enjoying the relationship between the Neville sisters.

My favourite period TV show to date. Great writing and acting. Really impressive. Frain is a rockstar IMHO. He is such a great actor!!

vCash
    The videos have been removed; so I'll have to wait to see this.

vCash
    anyone have an active link to the second episode?

vCash
    The second episode is also up on YT. I'm posting from my kindle though and have no clue how to post a link. I thought it was good but I liked the first episode better.

vCash
    Check out project tv. They are fab and have a ton of links.

vCash
    Looks like episode two is still available on youtube, at least as of tonight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDYzag_3uk8

Editing to say I liked it much better watching it the second time around.

I do not like Margaret Beaufort at all, nor did I like Isabelle Neville through most of the episode. George, well I'm looking forward to the malmsy wine right now. And as for Richard, I'm really liking him so far too. But I'm also just a bit of a Richardian.
    Last edited by ChelleC; 06-26-2013 at 05:27 AM.

Top Secret FSU Witness Protection Location
    vCash
    Thanks for posting about this, would never have heard of it otherwise. Episode 1 is still available here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNZPbLXaKW8
    -Brian
    "Michelle would never be caught with sausage grease staining her Vera Wang." - rfisher

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yehudi View Post
    In the US, we will have to wait til August but it looks great. The other familiar name is David Oakes, who played Juan Borgia in the Borgias and Jeremy Irons' son Max.
    Oakes was in 'The Pillars of the Earth' as well. I think he is a heartthrob. My interest in the Borgias plummeted after he was killed off.

vCash
    I can't stand the portrayal of Margaret Beaufort, but it is just as Philippa Gregory did in that awful book so there's no surprise there. This series seems very one-sided: YAY York, BAD Lancaster!

Liberal Furry
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanie View Post
    I can't stand the portrayal of Margaret Beaufort, but it is just as Philippa Gregory did in that awful book so there's no surprise there. This series seems very one-sided: YAY York, BAD Lancaster!
    I haven't read Gregory's book- I dislike her writing (and research) and her agendas against certain historical personages. While Margaret is not really likeable here- I do think that they have captured some of the essentials of her character -her ambition, her intelligence and her piety, and her loyalty to her son. She was a schemer historically, but I very much admire her learning and her founding of various schools and colleges.

The actress playing her is far too old of course- she was 13 when she gave birth to Henry- so about 17-18 at the start of the story.

In a thread like this- one should proclaim their loyalties-I'm a Yorkist at heart (as a genealogist, I can't deny their superior claim to the throne), but not a Ricardian (I think that Richard lll was not the monster he was once seen as being (Does anybody believe that any more?), but he did scheme for the throne, and was responsible for his nephews' deaths)
    I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.
    (Edna St Vincent Millay)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast